Using compressed air to clean out fuel lines?

-

dan schalk

Reaction score
Hey all,

This past weekend I tried to fire up my new used 65 cuda. It fired up with starter fluid but that was it. I pulled the gas tank and it was pretty bad. Also pulled the fuel filter. I have a new tank and filter ready to go in this weekend. Question is, is it okay to blow compressed air from the tank end of the fuel line to make sure it's clear or will that damage the pump. Also any suggestions on priming the line when I get everything hooked back up??

Thanks

Hey all,

This past weekend I tried to fire up my new used 65 cuda. It fired up with starter fluid but that was it. I pulled the gas tank and it was pretty bad. Also pulled the fuel filter. I have a new tank and filter ready to go in this weekend. Question is, is it okay to blow compressed air from the tank end of the fuel line to make sure it's clear or will that damage the pump. Also any suggestions on priming the line when I get everything hooked back up??

Thanks
Just disconnect the pump end of the line and I'm sure you'll be OK blowing it out.

Just crank the engine when its all back together...fuel pump will prime itself eventually (30 secs or so)

Disconnect the pump.
Get better air flow.
I'd even put a new fuel pump on.
Dribble gas in the carb before trying to crank it.
I don' t think it is worth priming the line.
And be fire ready, just in case.
(Air cleaner on is good idea if you dribble gas into the carb)
Change your fuel filters a few times after you drive it a while.

Biggest concern is fire. Pull line off pump and add a chunk of hose into a gallon jug. Suction gun and varsol,then a low pressure air blast. Or a good water base degeaser like simple green and a water rinse. Blow it out til its dry dry dry.

You have it apart already, just put a new line on it.
That way you know everything is clean.
Jegs or summit sell aluminum lines and compression fittings for the line.
Cheap piece of mind.

If you are using the same sending unit, check the pickup line also. I switched out an aftermarket sending unit that the previous owner had installed. They don't read correctly, so I installed an original unit and found the pickup tube plugged. Had to soak it and use a piece of wire to clear it. Glad I checked it before installing it.

Mine got a new tank, sender, and lines. Best thing I ever did. That was 10 years ago with no issues since.

you can blow through the pump from the tank. electric pump can pump through too. I blew back from the feed line to the tank and blew a dent out of my fuel tank I forgot I had. I also found that I 'popped' the rust crusted pickup sock, split the side.

What everyone said...you will be surprised what comes out. Check the pump, you may have pushed some crud into it. Let us know if you got it going.
Norm

thanks so much. Got the new tank and sender. Didn't think about the lines.
I wouldn't worry about the hard line too much if it looks to be in decent shape. Just blow air thru it after disconnecting it from the fuel pump as other posters said.

Replace your rubber line with 30r9 (fuel injection hose) or 30r14 barricade line (sold at O'Reillys). It's better than the standard 30r7 junk and similar price. Just ask at the counter for it.

I wouldn't worry about the hard line too much if it looks to be in decent shape. Just blow air thru it after disconnecting it from the fuel pump as other posters said.

Replace your rubber line with 30r9 (fuel injection hose) or 30r14 barricade line (sold at O'Reillys). It's better than the standard 30r7 junk and similar price. Just ask at the counter for it.

Good call on the new line type.
I replaced everything done with the old style rubber with EFI line. (even vacuum lines and power brake booster hose)
I figured it'd be a good choice for reliability with this E fuel garbage.

If you've gone that far, it's only a few bucks to change out the hard lines and use new rubber hoses to replace everything.
You'll never regret it, i know i didn't............

If you've gone that far, it's only a few bucks to change out the hard lines and use new rubber hoses to replace everything.
You'll never regret it, i know i didn't............

-
Back