Using LX (New Charger/Magnum/300) Wheels on a 74 Dart

-
Still havent found a good set with tires yet.
Heres to hoping I've got some by the Spring show season!
Lawd knows the car won't have paint yet! :D At least some new wheels would spice it up a bit!

i have an '07 srt8 magnum,i'll have to see if my wheels fit my duster now!

www.lxforums.com .......check out the parts for sale, lots of wheels/tires

Thanks for the tip.
I'm already a member of LXF and I check their for sale threads quite often.
Haven't yet found a set for what I'd like to pay.

i have an '07 srt8 magnum,i'll have to see if my wheels fit my duster now!

You sir, are a lucky man!
I've got Magnum SRT 20s on my 2002 Intrepid, I totally love them!
I'm not sure how well the 20s fit on the As though, but I've never tried.

FOUND SOME!
Going to pick em up tomorrow.

This leads me to my next question:
They've got 235/40/18 tires on them.
Anyone know if these will work correctly?
I know I've heard of people using larger OEM LX tires on A-Bodies, so I'm assuming yes, but I also don't want them to look too ridiculously small.

IMG_0746-1.jpg

:D

i tried to put the wheels from my brothers eclipse on the scamp. same bolt pattern and the front was ok but the rears hit the leaf springs. did any of yours do that? they had almost full backspacing like most fwd cars but it looks like so do the lx cars. i found a set for the scamp but wont be able to test fit. they look caal and would be nice on the scamp if they went on right lol

Thanks guys!
I've got the set of 4 safely stored away for now, gonna try and put them on over my winter break, which starts soon.
If I do, I'll try and get some pics, but we'll see.

Wellp, they don't fit.
They fit fine on the back but they don't fit on the front, they won't clear the hub.
Dunno what else to say other than that and they're going to be up for sale soon.
Depresses me, I must admit, but back to the drawing board I suppose...

these were 18in charger R/T wheels i put on my 72 Town and Country in 2006...i did use 3/4 adapters (aircraft aluminum,100.00 each)and was able to use the stock centercaps..

866.jpg

Actually, it isnt really like that.

The SRT8 Charger/300/Magnum have the 5x115 wheels.

The regular Charger/300/Magnum (Including R/T and C models) have 5x114.3 wheels.

I became quite well versed in the LX wheels when I was researching, searching for, and preparing to mount my Magnum SRT8 20s on my Intrepid shown up there^

No sorry but I will have to call bs on the 2 different sizes. there is no way possible that the wheels would have 2 different bolt patterns that would be an extreme waste of cash having 2 different sets. the base model steel wheels are a 5x115. so why change for other wheels. they work they bolt up but I won't trust them on my car.

check out lxforums (dot) com for some great deals on wheels. i got a set for $300 for my charger so i could powdercoat them. dont forget there are several different style wheels that come stock depending on the package the LX has.

here are the wheels powdered semi-gloss black

p8080488.jpg

p8080493.jpg

they would prolly look good in a ralleye wheel silver too

No sorry but I will have to call bs on the 2 different sizes. there is no way possible that the wheels would have 2 different bolt patterns that would be an extreme waste of cash having 2 different sets. the base model steel wheels are a 5x115. so why change for other wheels. they work they bolt up but I won't trust them on my car.

5 x 115 is what the Magnum, Charger, Challenger, and 300(c) have.
These are all the RWD and some AWD platforms

115 / 25.4 = 4.53
Effectively the new Mopars are 5 x 4.53 instead of 5 x 4.50

The 300 that is FWD like the Intrepid, etc is 5 x 114.3

these were 18in charger R/T wheels i put on my 72 Town and Country in 2006...i did use 3/4 adapters (aircraft aluminum,100.00 each)and was able to use the stock centercaps..

Hmm, so you used those adapters in the front then?
By adapters, do you mean spacers?
If so, did you utilize longer lug studs?
Did you have to trim the front fenders at all?
I have two of the wheels on the rear of the car and they fit fine with no issues.
It is the front hubs that are causing me issues.
I thought about having them turned down, but am not exactly sure where I could get that done around me.
Then I thought about using longer studs and spacers, but I thought that once I spaced the wheels out enough to clear the hub, they would hit the fenders.
I would not hesitate to trim the fenders if it wasn't for my passenger side fender being fiberglass.

PS: They looked AWESOME on your Town and Country.
I was really looking for the same look on my Dart...

Look man, I don't want to fight with you, but I know what I'm talking about, I had to do ALL kinds of research when I wanted to fit 5x115 Magnum SRT8 wheels on my 2002 Intrepid with a 5x114.3 bolt pattern.

Don't believe me?
Go do some research yourself on LXForums.com, there are numerous threads on the subject.
Chrysler used 5x114.3 bolt pattern wheels on the regular LXs, including those with steel wheels.
Chrysler used 5x115 wheels on the SRTs because they had the Brembo brakes and therefore different hubs.
I'm not a Chrysler engineer, I can't tell you exactly why they felt it was necessary, but I can tell you that they did.

Also, I understand your apprehension, but there really is no danger of any kind of breakage or issues using a 5x115 rim on a 5x114.3 bolt pattern car or vice versa. If you center the rim properly by torquing it to its correct specs utilizing the "pentastar" tightening pattern, it'll center the wheel on the hub properly.

In my case, it doesn't matter anyway, since the R/T wheels I've got for my Dart are a 5x114.3.

5 x 115 is what the Magnum, Charger, Challenger, and 300(c) have.
These are all the RWD and some AWD platforms

115 / 25.4 = 4.53
Effectively the new Mopars are 5 x 4.53 instead of 5 x 4.50

The 300 that is FWD like the Intrepid, etc is 5 x 114.3

Again, wrong, I'm sorry, but wrong.
It is 5x115 for the SRTs, 5x114.3 for the regular LXs.
And the AWD cars have 5x115 I believe, but with some differences in offset and hub, making them non-cross-compatible with the RWD LXs.
I've never had to research the AWD wheels...

The 300M that is FWD like my Intrepid is indeed 5x114.3.

Here is what I am referencing:

http://www.plussizingguide.com/

I have their 2009 book in hand. ALL of the Mopar RWD LX stuff is listed at 5 x 115.

Being that their entire business is producing a book that Wheel and Tire industry uses to sell wheels and tires, I would presume that they would list the 5 x 114.3, if an option.

I also reference Tire Rack I selected 2005 Magnum SE
http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/resu...SE+Rear+Wheel+Drive&autoYear=2005&autoModClar=

They say 5 x 115

My GUESS, is 114.3 is on the brain from previous and FWD vehicles.

The difference is 6 thousandths of an inch, if my math is right (4.527 / 4.5) I bet 6 thousandths is well within tolerances. I know everything that I have that has wheels has more then 6 thousandths of an inch of clearance.

To further cloud the issue is houw 5 lug wheels are measured. The difference could be how the straight edge sits on the threads.
http://centerlinewheels.com/images/bolt_pattern.jpg

Feel free to call it 114.3, but all the published info I come accross calls it 5 x 115.

Hmm, so you used those adapters in the front then?
By adapters, do you mean spacers?
If so, did you utilize longer lug studs?
Did you have to trim the front fenders at all?
I have two of the wheels on the rear of the car and they fit fine with no issues.
It is the front hubs that are causing me issues.
I thought about having them turned down, but am not exactly sure where I could get that done around me.
Then I thought about using longer studs and spacers, but I thought that once I spaced the wheels out enough to clear the hub, they would hit the fenders.
I would not hesitate to trim the fenders if it wasn't for my passenger side fender being fiberglass.

PS: They looked AWESOME on your Town and Country.
I was really looking for the same look on my Dart...

Look man, I don't want to fight with you, but I know what I'm talking about, I had to do ALL kinds of research when I wanted to fit 5x115 Magnum SRT8 wheels on my 2002 Intrepid with a 5x114.3 bolt pattern.

Don't believe me?
Go do some research yourself on LXForums.com, there are numerous threads on the subject.
Chrysler used 5x114.3 bolt pattern wheels on the regular LXs, including those with steel wheels.
Chrysler used 5x115 wheels on the SRTs because they had the Brembo brakes and therefore different hubs.
I'm not a Chrysler engineer, I can't tell you exactly why they felt it was necessary, but I can tell you that they did.

Also, I understand your apprehension, but there really is no danger of any kind of breakage or issues using a 5x115 rim on a 5x114.3 bolt pattern car or vice versa. If you center the rim properly by torquing it to its correct specs utilizing the "pentastar" tightening pattern, it'll center the wheel on the hub properly.

In my case, it doesn't matter anyway, since the R/T wheels I've got for my Dart are a 5x114.3.

Again, wrong, I'm sorry, but wrong.
It is 5x115 for the SRTs, 5x114.3 for the regular LXs.
And the AWD cars have 5x115 I believe, but with some differences in offset and hub, making them non-cross-compatible with the RWD LXs.
I've never had to research the AWD wheels...

The 300M that is FWD like my Intrepid is indeed 5x114.3.

actualy they are spacers, but use there own studs like a adapter, no fender well trimming, they are around the same overal diameter as the stock 225/75/15in tires, used spacers front and rear,it places the LX wheels in almost the same offset as the factory backspacing/offset....and they will fit the front hub with the spacer because it starts to taper about 3/4 out from the hub..

actualy they are spacers, but use there own studs like a adapter, no fender well trimming, they are around the same overal diameter as the stock 225/75/15in tires, used spacers front and rear,it places the LX wheels in almost the same offset as the factory backspacing/offset....and they will fit the front hub with the spacer because it starts to taper about 3/4 out from the hub..
Hmm, that is pretty neat, I've never heard of anything like that before...
$100 a piece though, wow...
I've got a buddy who works in a machine shop with sheet aluminum all day who has made me spacers in the past for $5 for a set of 5, so I was hoping that if I did it I could just get longer lug studs.
3/4 you say, huh?
What size tire did you say you used on them?
I was hoping to keep the fronts with the same size tire that is on them now and upgrade the backs to something a little bigger, so that might help me not have issues with the wheel hitting the fender.

the tires were 06 charger R/T take offs, i believe 225/60/18..but not sure, these spacers were made from aircraft billet...i didnt want to take a chance with a 4500 lbs car! LOL

I tried this afternoon to fit my «old» 2007 300 touring wheels on my 67 Dart.

Like Sneke_eyes, I had no problem fitting them in the back with a little 1/4 inches spacer (I will need longer studs). The front did not clear the hub.

There is a guy who work at my Dodge dealer that installed 300 wheels on his 67 New Yorker. I will ask him how he did the fitting and I will give you the infos.

I've been contemplating the use of 17" steel wheels ( sans wheel covers ) from the base Charger / 6 cylinder 300 model on my 1972 Coronet sedan . There's a '75 - '79 Cordoba near me with that exact setup on it ; seems to be a relatively cheap upgrade . I like the plain look of steelies ( like the taxi / fleet / police cars had ) . However , I'd consider having them powder coated in a very light gun metal , and used chrome lug nuts . My only reservation at this point is the cost of replacement tyres !

Here' what I have experienced today...

I called the guy at my Dodge Dealer. He told me that he had the same fitting problem with his New Yorker. He also told me that a one inch spacer (with studs) solved the problem. So I borrowed him one just to give 'em a try. He give me one with the wrong bolt pattern :angry7: Wasted time.

Just to not waste my evening completely, I tried to put together my two smaller spacers and see if it fit. They give about 3/4 inches when combined.
It worked but I had to remove the center cap of the wheel. The hub is a little too big so a one inch spacer should be perfect.

I will see if the Dealer guy have the right bolt pattern spacer tomorow and try for the 3rd time to make these damned wheels to fit...

I'll keep you posted 8)

PS: sorry if some words or sentences seem to be weirds... I speak french :snakeman: Just do my best lol

-
Back