usps strikes again

-
My grandson delivers packages also. He started about 1 year ago, he's lost about 30 lbs (21 years old). He works his butt off and gets home late every day. But he seems to enjoy it. He doesn't complain and really looks beat at the end of the day. Most of the time he doesn't even stop for lunch just to get home before dark. He doesn't control any of the pricing and goes out of his way to make customers happy. I've been impressed by his work ethic for a Millennial.

usps informed us we will have to pick up packages at the post office as our yard has no turn around and they are not allowed to back up on to the street. They say we are in a rural area. our lot is 1/2 acre, in the village on a 25mph road where trucks are prohibited.

He sounds like he's got some good work ethic
@Treblig. I hope he hangs with it. The longer your there the easier it becomes. We certainly need some hard working folks!

I just sent this cranks shaft with FedEx yesterday. Post office wouldn’t ship it as it was 4 pounds to heavy. Here is their Canadian rates. Kim

73A416CE-D4B7-4C26-AF24-59B00E717B5A.jpeg

usps informed us we will have to pick up packages at the post office as our yard has no turn around and they are not allowed to back up on to the street. They say we are in a rural area. our lot is 1/2 acre, in the village on a 25mph road where trucks are prohibited.
The driver should back in from the street then.

When I got a crank sent from there it was $220.00 usd plus $90.00 Canadian for all the other charges we get nailed with. GST, PST and duty. That was in 2020. Kim

Ship with a Fedex account, it'll knock 33% off the price. Better yet, (hear me out here) sell it on ebay with an obscure listing link you send the buyer (yeah yeah, with all its fees) and then ship with their shipping service options. Its crazy cheap, like "how can they charge so little" cheap. In the end I think the Ebay option will be the cheapest even with all the extra fees. To see these deelpy discounted rates tells me the carriers are F'n the little guy to the difference of anything over what the Ebay rates are showing, ie 'wholesale' rates. I think I was looking at a $60 USPS shipping quote and the same Ebay shipping service quote was like $16. WTH? When the post office sponsors the US bicycling team in the early 2000's and they are still raising rates? Its all those other players (amazon, ebay, DHL, etc) that are keeping the USPS heads above water. My buddy has worked there (USPS) for 25+ years as a dock receiver. He receives 3-4 trucks in an 8 hour 'C' shift (2200-0600?) and all he does when a truck comes in is: record the seal number, cut and open the lift door, hook the 4-6 wagons to the little tractor and has someone pull them out, occasionally hell have to drive the train. Then he rolls 4-5 wagons in, drops the door, records the new seal and seals the door shut and sends the truck on. All this takes about 10 minutes! Then he goes back to the lounge, watches Sportscenter for another 2 hours and does it again. Sometimes he gets 2 trucks at the same time...Oh ****! He's gained 100 lbs in 25 years.

The driver should back in from the street then.
Not allowed to, period.
They would get on us about it when I was carrying mail, but it happened.
Now, with the new scanners, they can see if you backed up, accelerated or hard stopped, and any deviation from the routes.
It's almost like there's a little background game being played by management. They like to, for what ever reason, write up employees for the slightest infraction.
I can tell you horror stories.

Here's my latest. Spoke with the Post Master said he was told not to come down the road anymore. Neighbor claims they are going 40mph down the driveway. How my neighbor has the authority to prevent the rest of us from getting packages is crazy.

20220327_175909_copy_1024x539.jpg

My FedEx acc only gives me a 5% discount cause I don’t ship many things thru it. Now not any thing anymore cause of the screwing the gave me awhile ago. Kim

Here's my latest. Spoke with the Post Master said he was told not to come down the road anymore. Neighbor claims they are going 40mph down the driveway. How my neighbor has the authority to prevent the rest of us from getting packages is crazy.

View attachment 1715897258
Those are generally used to promote peer pressure.
When you cut an entire road like that, folks will generally have a chat with the Karen causing the issue.
BTW, it's perfectly legal to do. Delivery to your home is neither a right or entitlement.

It may not be a right or entitlement.Then why is there a delivery fee? When I send something it’s to their address not their store/post office. Kim

It may not be a right or entitlement.Then why is there a delivery fee? When I send something it’s to their address not their store/post office. Kim
In the United States, you pay to send it to a person who can pick it up at a zip code.
There is no law, what so ever, in the US that states that mail delivery is to a persons home.
I don't know what Canadian law is on the matter, nor do I care.
There is no delivery fee or gas surcharge with the USPS.

Those are generally used to promote peer pressure.
When you cut an entire road like that, folks will generally have a chat with the Karen causing the issue.
BTW, it's perfectly legal to do. Delivery to your home is neither a right or entitlement.

Interesting. Only thing I could find in regards to not delivering down a private road was if the road was in to poor of a condition. Which makes sense. Carriers driving their own vehicle shouldn't have to have them beat to hell.

Your saying that paying for a package to be delivered to an address, doesn't actually mean it has to be dropped off that address? How does one find the actual rules for that kind of stuff?

Interesting. Only thing I could find in regards to not delivering down a private road was if the road was in to poor of a condition. Which makes sense. Carriers driving their own vehicle shouldn't have to have them beat to hell.

Your saying that paying for a package to be delivered to an address, doesn't actually mean it has to be dropped off that address? How does one find the actual rules for that kind of stuff?
Article I, Section 8, Clause 7 of the United States Constitution
That's it, there is no law about home delivery. It's 100% a courtesy.
You are not paying tax dollars to have mail delivered to you either.
There is a such a thing as a mail delivery manual, but because there is no laws that state that delivery to a home is a right or entitlement so it can be cut at any time.
The fact that there is law like this is how UPS, FEDEX and others can deliver to your home.
The NALC has tried to fight the cutting of mail routes, and establishing of routes for years.
The 3 towns I live near has zero home delivery. If you want your mail, you walk to the post office and get it.

Article I, Section 8, Clause 7 of the United States Constitution
That's it, there is no law about home delivery. It's 100% a courtesy.
You are not paying tax dollars to have mail delivered to you either.
There is a such a thing as a mail delivery manual, but because there is no laws that state that delivery to a home is a right or entitlement so it can be cut at any time.
The fact that there is law like this is how UPS, FEDEX and others can deliver to your home.
The NALC has tried to fight the cutting of mail routes, and establishing of routes for years.
The 3 towns I live near has zero home delivery. If you want your mail, you walk to the post office and get it.

It not about rights or entitlements. It's a service that's being paid for.

The article in the constitution your referring to isn't even close to defining or outlining actual door delivery of packages.

There's hit and miss info on the inspector generals website that refers to no door delivery on new routes. Seems most places are going to gang boxes. But specifically lists door to door as a mode of delivery when there is no centralized delivery available.

Well I guess forever has come and gone with their forever stamps.
I guess they changed the definition of forever.
breachers of contracts and liars
forever stamp allow you to ship a letter no matter when you ship it (or when you bought the forever stamp) . Tomorrow, or 4 years from now.

@gunbunny "...Each day, six days a week, letter carriers traverse four million miles toting an average of 563 million pieces of mail, reaching the very doorsteps of our individual homes and workplaces in every single community in America. They ride snowmobiles to reach iced-in villages, for example, fly bush planes into outback wilderness areas that have no roads, run Mail Boats out to remote islands in places like Maine and Washington state, and even use mules on an eight-mile trail to bring mail to the 500 members of the Havasupai tribe of Native Americans living on the floor of the Grand Canyon.

“From the gated enclaves and penthouses of the uber-wealthy to the inner-city ghettos and rural colonies of America’s poorest families, the U.S. Postal Service literally delivers.”

Not from the USPS but from a speech. And now you can add the vote by mail propositions that require everyone to receive and be able to mail a ballot. I dont think a neighbor (D or R) can interfere with your right from voting now could they.....?

Last edited:
I’m talking about a USA addy. Kim
Show me the US law that states that postage paid is to a specific address.
I'll wait.
If you ship from Canada to the US, then you pay for the Canadian Postal Service to hand it off to the USPS. At that point it follows USPS rules. Same as vice versa.
The article in the constitution your referring to isn't even close to defining or outlining actual door delivery of packages.
That's the problem. There is no law that states that mail is to be delivered to a home address.
Trust me, the NALC has looked.
There is manual that outlines how mail will be delivered when there is an assigned delivery route, it outlines line of travel, and methods.
Your getting that notice is perfectly allowable. In fact they made those up, so no rule was broken. When I carried mail, I cut entire streets because of safety issues. One was a dog who's owners wouldn't confine, and the other was due to a crazy woman who threatened shot at us.
I live in Moscow Ohio, there is zero home delivery in the village.
We went to the P/O to establish home delivery because they close the lobby at 11:00 pm to 6:00am and completely on Sundays. We were denied. We took it all the way to our congressman and both senators. Nada!
You don't have to like it, but that's just the way it is.
In your case, I'd go talk to the neighbor who complained and see what their beef is. Let them know that their complaint has affected you and others on the road.
I'm also curious, is this a private road or public. If it's public, a neighbor can't do that, if it's private, they don't have to come down at all.

forever stamp allow you to ship a letter no matter when you ship it (or when you bought the forever stamp) . Tomorrow, or 4 years from now
So forever lasts 4 years. gotcha.
I`m glad your region is lawful and moral, some regions not so much.
usps has no business acting like the NSA or census bureau either.

Did anyone try and use a "forever" stamp on a letter and have something come back with insufficiant postage?

Show me the US law that states that postage paid is to a specific address.
I'll wait.
If you ship from Canada to the US, then you pay for the Canadian Postal Service to hand it off to the USPS. At that point it follows USPS rules. Same as vice versa.

That's the problem. There is no law that states that mail is to be delivered to a home address.
Trust me, the NALC has looked.
There is manual that outlines how mail will be delivered when there is an assigned delivery route, it outlines line of travel, and methods.
Your getting that notice is perfectly allowable. In fact they made those up, so no rule was broken. When I carried mail, I cut entire streets because of safety issues. One was a dog who's owners wouldn't confine, and the other was due to a crazy woman who threatened shot at us.
I live in Moscow Ohio, there is zero home delivery in the village.
We went to the P/O to establish home delivery because they close the lobby at 11:00 pm to 6:00am and completely on Sundays. We were denied. We took it all the way to our congressman and both senators. Nada!
You don't have to like it, but that's just the way it is.
In your case, I'd go talk to the neighbor who complained and see what their beef is. Let them know that their complaint has affected you and others on the road.
I'm also curious, is this a private road or public. If it's public, a neighbor can't do that, if it's private, they don't have to come down at all.

I work for the government. There are rules that dictate everything. I'm having a hard time believing that there isn't something written that dictates everything the USPS does.

That said, the interaction between my neighbor and the carrier (coincidentally the post master) was about speed. After a pissing contest, the neighbor said don't come down here anymore. Post Master said ok. Which is bullshit. I understand cutting off part of a route due to a safety reason. This is far from that.

You say they don't have to come down private roads, but every time I search that it says,
  • For Accountable mail items and oversized parcels (not postage due), the carrier must try to gain the attention of the recipient, which includes honking their horn, in order to get them to come to the vehicle. If the customer doesn't come out and the house/delivery point is within 1/2 mile of the line of travel AND has a passable road, the carrier should attempt to deliver it. Otherwise, the carrier will leave PS Form 3849 and the customer will have to make arrangements to obtain the item.
There also seems to be different rules for every area stemming from when that area was established and what services were requested at that time.

-
Back