V4 360 Chrysler kit

-
I don't remember seeing your sorry *** standing there in 1973, helpful as ****, with a Gates/ Dayco pictorial catalogue and a half a pickup bed full of hoses to select from
Easy now! It was all in fun. Besides, if you hadn't screamed in all caps about it, no one (like me) would have given it a second thought. I really couldn't care less if someone uses a (four letter word that starts with F) hose. I've done it. Probably will need to again at some point.

Look at that, I didn't say F*** hose again. Now that's talent.

Easy now! It was all in fun. Besides, if you hadn't screamed in all caps about it, no one (like me) would have given it a second thought. I really couldn't care less if someone uses a (four letter word that starts with F) hose. I've done it. Probably will need to again at some point.

Look at that, I didn't say F*** hose again. Now that's talent.

It was intended to give you ****. Now who's the grouch? This is related to the thread 'the other day' everybody was complaining about hoses. Plus I see you cannot follow instructions.

He did what was needed and available.
End of story.

Thanks Rumble. Here we are, NAS Miramar, in the 70's 20 miles from any parts store except what little is on base or can be ordered, and "no internet." And plus I was about broke. I was lucky to get the thing running "for the weekend" as the hobby shop was closed on Sunday

40% better gas mileage at 55...on a Mopar 'bog' block...

"...Essentially, Joe's transformation involves de-energizing every other power pulse in the V8's firing order by "immobilizing" the valve train for cylinders two, three, five and eight. Of course, the inlet valves had to stay put to prevent air from being pumped into the intake manifold by the rising pistons. And — in order to maintain pressure in the valve lifter oil gallery — the hydraulic lifters were raised out of the cam shaft's reach and locked in position. (The spark plugs and wires serving the inactive cylinders were also retained — they produce a "waste" arc which ignites any lingering vapors, helps to clean up emissions, and keeps the electronic ignition from overheating.)

The modification procedure was straightforward. Joe easily undercut the standard 11 hours of flat-rate time allotted for a valve job, a task which is very similar to the changeover. Then Joe and I went out for a spin. Though the V4 was a bit sluggish while accelerating to 20 mph, performance from that point and up to cruising speed was surprisingly good. (The mechanic loves to talk about the calculator-punching engineers who've computed that the four-cylinder powerplant shouldn't even be able to push the car's weight.) And I was amazed to find that the "new" V4 ran as smoothly as did the "full" V8 engine.

But the real fruit of Joe's labor turns up as gas mileage. The reincarnated Plymouth garnered nearly 21 mpg — a big eight-mpg improvement. I was impressed enough to learn the steps necessary to transform a Mopar V8 (a Chrysler, Dodge, or Plymouth product with a 383-, 400- or 440 cubic-inch motor and two-barrel-carburetor) from Superman back into a mild-mannered reporter."

V8 to V4 Conversion: Get 40 Percent Better Gas Mileage - Green Transportation - MOTHER EARTH NEWS

Gas mileage... Long gas lines during the Arab oil embargo is one reason. Gas was rationed often to 5 gallons per car or even less. Some cities/states had odd/even buying days based on the last # of your license tag. I could only buy 25 gallons of diesel at many truck stops... tough making time on a cross country trip.
Yep... I remember sitting in those lines. And a 300 mile trip could be an unknown adventure in how far you would get.. .or not!

Says to continue to use the intake valves...to open a blind hole to the crankcase to the intake? That seems like the crankcase pressure would dilute your intake vacuum.
IIRC, the old WWI Gnome rotary engines ran the intake charge through the crankcase. But this is really interesting.

And everyone is forgetting the GM slant 4 from the early 60's made by not casting in one bank of cylinders in a Pontiac 326 block and putting in a single rod-per journal crank. It was a production engine for the early Skylarks and such.

On a side note, the guy I bought this from is a good friend, Navy, then. I had not seen him in person since about 76 or so, and just a couple months ago, he came up here to buy a new truck from Dave Smith Motors. So we got to sit down and have lunch!!! after 40 years!!

Interesting. I flew back from Salt Lake City May 18th and sat next to a gentleman that was flying up to pick up a truck he had purchased from Dave Smith. Did your friend bring a buddy with him?

That was the day after I talked to you on the phone. Wouldn't it be weird if the day after I talked to you, I sat next to an old friend of your on a plane.

And everyone is forgetting the GM slant 4 from the early 60's made by not casting in one bank of cylinders in a Pontiac 326 block and putting in a single rod-per journal crank. It was a production engine for the early Skylarks and such.

"Many" may have but I haven't. First years of the Tempest used a transaxle, IRS and flexible drive shaft, key points in the "trial" of "My Cousin Vinny" LOL. When I was in high school a gal in town had one of those little Ponchos.

THAT CAME long before the gas crunch tho

Interesting. I flew back from Salt Lake City May 18th and sat next to a gentleman that was flying up to pick up a truck he had purchased from Dave Smith. Did your friend bring a buddy with him?

That was the day after I talked to you on the phone. Wouldn't it be weird if the day after I talked to you, I sat next to an old friend of your on a plane.

No he and his wife would have been driving, the brought the old truck (which I wish I had) up here and traded it in on the new one. He had quite a ride....transferred from the Navy as E-5 or E-6 into the USCG and ended up at a couple of different "nasty weather" duty stations, one way up N on the NE coast, I forget where else.

when they said to continue to use the intake valve, that must have meant that they stay in place to seal the dead cylinders, no pushrods on those. And the angle iron is used to pin the lifters up off the cam lobes. Caddy V8-6-4...but dont know how they dropped the cylinders pumping actions.

when they said to continue to use the intake valve, that must have meant that they stay in place to seal the dead cylinders, no pushrods on those. And the angle iron is used to pin the lifters up off the cam lobes. Caddy V8-6-4...but dont know how they dropped the cylinders pumping actions.

I always thought they left the both valves closed. Other than friction, this causes the piston to be somewhat "neutral" as it compresses going up, but the compression helps push it back down. Sort of like a pneumatic pogo stick

interesting....seems the compression would hurt power. OK who's going to step up and do it?

This is all Bullshit. Every engine I got ain't hitting on all cylinders thanks to low compression. Big whoop.

When swapping a small block where a big block lived, be thankful for the extra radiator size.

interesting....seems the compression would hurt power. OK who's going to step up and do it?

But how much compression will it really get if the valves aren't opening and closing.... If you don't open the valve and take in air, then you can't compress it....

If you take a 360 v-8 and make it a v-4, then it becomes a 180 CID....

So if your 360 now becomes a 180, does that mean that you have to drive in u-turns????

But how much compression will it really get if the valves aren't opening and closing.... If you don't open the valve and take in air, then you can't compress it....

It acts sort of like a rubber ball........

It acts sort of like a rubber ball........
Actually not.... there is a huge amount of energy that gets converted into heating the compressed air; part that goes into the cylinder walls and heads and is a true energy loss. Kinda like an air compressor; a 5 HP compressor gets so hot that it cannot be run continuously.

ant no compression going on with the dead cylinders! them slugs got holes thay just stirring up more windage inside the motor!

the thread direction has gone into the adaptation of normal pistons as in the good earth article. holed blanks would require a lot more labor than the crippling procedure of the magazine article.

Actually not.... there is a huge amount of energy that gets converted into heating the compressed air; part that goes into the cylinder walls and heads and is a true energy loss. Kinda like an air compressor; a 5 HP compressor gets so hot that it cannot be run continuously.

Not sure that's true. That same heat has to be converted when the same piston comes back down AKA expands

Not sure that's true. That same heat has to be converted when the same piston comes back down AKA expands
No, some of the heat is lost into to the surrounding metal... that is an energy loss in the process. Not that it matters all that much... this V4 thing is an interesting topic. If I was not working on business projects so much, I would have bought it already LOL

-
Back