Valiants with V8s

-

slantflat

Reaction score
Hi everyone.

Had a question about the 1968 Valiant. Were they available with the 273? I don't think I've ever seen one. I'd like to find a 68 Valiant with a 273 if they are available, but would a warmed up 6 be just as good? A have a Valiant now with a 6 and it's slow as a dog.

Thanks everyone.

yeah, they were available with V8's

a hopped up /6 is a viable alternative and are great fun.

I'm pretty sure they were, I had a 67 Valiant 100 4-door with a 273.

Alan

A friend of mine had a 4 door 67 with a 273 commando 4 spd. Someone up the street bought it and is restoring it and doing a very nice job.

Hi everyone.

Had a question about the 1968 Valiant. Were they available with the 273? I don't think I've ever seen one. I'd like to find a 68 Valiant with a 273 if they are available, but would a warmed up 6 be just as good? A have a Valiant now with a 6 and it's slow as a dog.

Thanks everyone.

Our 63 Dart... decked block for 9:1 compression, oversized valves, Oregon Cams 1206, Dutra Duals with the Y about 40" back from the head, Offenhauser dual one barrel intake, two Daytona carbs (Holley 1904 knockoffs) and it makes me smile every time I drive it.

DSC_0069.jpeg

DSC_0110.jpeg

DSC_0132.jpeg

DSC_0382.jpeg

DSC_0385.jpeg

My 68 Valiant had a 273. 68 the 273 had a hydraulic cam. Nice little car
Photo was when it came home to me. Had dealer installed Mopar air.
2nd engine photo is the cleaned up 273

IMG_2186.jpg

IMG_2189.jpg

IMG_2603.jpg

"A" bodies were available with the 273 from 1964 till 1969. But a slant six can be a fun ride also. Have a few of them, myself.

Mine was a 273 car also, as for /6 vs 273, when it comes to power 8 intake ports are better than six.

Maybe, maybe not.
Naturally Aspirated, not against a /6 build but what's the cfm you can get of a /6 head?
It's got to flow 33% better than a v8 to have same power capability, then you got rpm.
A stock 273 head has way more NA potential then a ported /6 not knocking if the OP is ok with that, all the power to him, be keel to see another built 6 as long he knows what he's up against.

"A" bodies were available with the 273 from 1964 till 1969. But a slant six can be a fun ride also. Have a few of them, myself.
Yes, they were EXCEPT Barracudas. Smallest V8 in a '68 or '69 Barracuda was a 318 which makes no sense since the Dart GT could be had with a 273 in those years. Also, all 273s in 1968 and 1969 were two barrel with hydraulic lifters.

Yes, they were EXCEPT Barracudas. Smallest V8 in a '68 or '69 Barracuda was a 318 which makes no sense since the Dart GT could be had with a 273 in those years. Also, all 273s in 1968 and 1969 were two barrel with hydraulic lifters.
Thanks Jim. I learned something new today.

Thanks guys. I'm not looking for a screamer, just something that gets along better than a standard 6. Glad to see they were available.

Naturally Aspirated, not against a /6 build but what's the cfm you can get of a /6 head?
It's got to flow 33% better than a v8 to have same power capability, then you got rpm.
A stock 273 head has way more NA potential then a ported /6 not knocking if the OP is ok with that, all the power to him, be keel to see another built 6 as long he knows what he's up against.
It's not always about how fast or quick something is, but how much fun it is.

Also consider fuel economy if you drive it a lot. I have/had 3 small blocks built to nice daily drivers specs too. They all got less than 14 MPG.. the built slant gets no less than 18 MPG. Make a big difference for me when it is a 130 mile round trip to get to any car show.

Also consider fuel economy if you drive it a lot. I have/had 3 small blocks built to nice daily drivers specs too. They all got less than 14 MPG.. the built slant gets no less than 18 MPG. Make a big difference for me when it is a 130 mile round trip to get to any car show.
My HP 273 isn't a hot rod but it's fun to drive. It get's 18+ on the highway if you drive it nice.

It's not always about how fast or quick something is, but how much fun it is.
Never said it was, big fan of /6 just think people should know the up hill battle before they decide to build one.

My HP 273 isn't a hot rod but it's fun to drive. It get's 18+ on the highway if you drive it nice.

My friend up buy Phoenix says he could get that sort of mileage out of his old 273's as well. None of mine get close to that. The Coronet 318 was built 100% with FiTech fuel injection and a 2.94 gear... 13 MPG. The Duster 318 has a carb, Toth heads but has been AFR'ed to a nice tuning and it gets about the same with a 2.94 gear. The Valiant is the 360 with Edelbrock heads that also has been AFR'ed to a nice tuning with 3.21 gears and it gets about 12 MPG.

My friend up buy Phoenix says he could get that sort of mileage out of his old 273's as well. None of mine get close to that. The Coronet 318 was built 100% with FiTech fuel injection and a 2.94 gear... 13 MPG. The Duster 318 has a carb, Toth heads but has been AFR'ed to a nice tuning and it gets about the same with a 2.94 gear. The Valiant is the 360 with Edelbrock heads that also has been AFR'ed to a nice tuning with 3.21 gears and it gets about 12 MPG.
That's strange. My 66 with a 4 speed has 3.23's. HP 273 with a 600 Edelbrock. My Swinger has the same gear and similar tire. 318 2 barrel/904. Both get 18/19 Hwy.

A /6 can be built to make decent power. The best thing you can do to start is adjust the valves running hot to .010 on the intake and .020 on the exhaust. Adding a Super Six 2 barrel intake and carb. Adjust the points with a dwell tach per specs if you are still running points. Advance the timing to where it runs best. Taylor Spiro Pro wires and a good new cap and rotor. Next add a Feather Duster large exhaust system. Or the 67 Barracuda Commando exhaust with a custom head pipe to mate up to the 2.5 OD intermediate pipe.

If you want to go faster, pull the head and have it milled .060 thousandths. Get a good valve job, back cut the intake valves, clean up the bowls, add Viton positive valve seals, and 340 valve springs. Then add a cam, about 268 duration with about .450 lift and a double roller timing set. On the bottom end add the big block high pressure oil pump spring.

The above will not beat a good V8, but will be a nice car with more power than you have now. Even the first step should put a smile on you face when you drive it. Part throttle kickdown kit and 3.23 gears will also help without adversely affecting mpg too much.

Jim, you need to put an egg under your right foot. :)

That's strange. My 66 with a 4 speed has 3.23's. HP 273 with a 600 Edelbrock. My Swinger has the same gear and similar tire. 318 2 barrel/904. Both get 18/19 Hwy.
A good 273 with an AFB or clone should get 20 mpg, or real close, highway cruising. A TQ or Quadra-Jet will add 2 to 5 mpg.

-
Back