Very raw W5 head for sale: Not mine

-
I’m sure glad I have no use for one of those.

A good friend of mine quit racing probably 20 years ago and still has two of them in boxes. I think he thinks they are worth gold type pricing and is holding on to them till it hits record highs. Lol

I've seen a few of those for sale over the years. Can you imagine how much money you'd have in a pair of those ready to race.

Well, beat me to it! I was just about to ask “Anyone else what kind of four cylinder that could be adapted over to?” Looks like enough material there to convert that to overhead cam. Where’s @Oldmanmopar ‘s son? We’ve got something for his mini sprint car…

I could see if someone had a head, was in love with that head, had access to tooling to do the needed work, felt like wasting money, felt lucky. Ohhh never mind. Lol

I could see if someone had a head, was in love with that head, had access to tooling to do the needed work, felt like wasting money, felt lucky. Ohhh never mind. Lol
Or if someone dropped a valve and muffed one up.

Mopar Performance used to sell an aluminum "half LA" block specifically for midget cars, for use with W-series heads (primarily 7 & up, but one could be resourceful). It was called "A4"; the catalog part number was P5007466 and the casting number was P4510025.

P5007961.jpg

I've seen a few of those for sale over the years. Can you imagine how much money you'd have in a pair of those ready to race.

And add 2 grand to finish it.
I paid the porter a few hundred and opted for used Ti valves 1 season old ($800) & valve seals. Springs, retainer and locks go with the price of a cam and lifter set up. Since there were none on the bare head, they need to be for the cam to be used. Not part of the head cost. Springs, locks and retainers are cheap.

I have less than 2K after head purchase by far!
Springs, retainers and locks included.
Rocker gear will cost more than all the work I put into the heads.

OH! $800 for a raw head? Yea, crack head is the answer there.
I’m pretty sure I didn’t pay that much for mine!

Mopar Performance used to sell an aluminum "half LA" block specifically for midget cars, for use with W-series heads (primarily 7 & up, but one could be resourceful). It was called "A4"; the catalog part number was P5007466 and the casting number was P4510025.

View attachment 1716024851
Methanol injected 400 horse?

At least it is machined for valves and guides .
There were a bunch of really raw heads floating around a few years back . They were from a pallet of heads for the Truck Series that were left over when the moved into W8s or 9s…. Something to that effect . Can’t say Im very knowledgeable on circle track stuff. Problem was that no one knows where the CNC program went for them .

At least it is machined for valves and guides .
There were a bunch of really raw heads floating around a few years back . They were from a pallet of heads for the Truck Series that were left over when the moved into W8s or 9s…. Something to that effect . Can’t say Im very knowledgeable on circle track stuff. Problem was that no one knows where the CNC program went for them .
Not sure where you see guides..

s-l1600 (1).jpg

s-l1600.jpg

I think he was meaning my heads. They were given a valve job and guides. It was ready for valves and springs OOTB.

That raw head above is above my pay grade to mess with.
If the casting is a good one, it makes for a pretty mean head when fully ported.

I bought 4 pair from Lee Millers auto. He bought several pallets of engines and parts from Ray Evernham when he went to GM in Nascar. Lee raced Nascar truck series. He still has tons of parts on shelves including complete race engines with W9 top ends. I took a bunch of W5 and W2 top ends out to Ryan Johnson at Shady Dell . He screwed me on everything. X blocks , Batten Heads, Everything disappeared.

Lee Miller still has more Parts then you can imagine. He says he don't but I been in the upstairs of the shop. I found the only W5's that are worth anything are some with blue pipe plugs. All other have bad porosity problems and don't hold seats or guides the aluminum starts flaking away. Indy 360-1 rectangle CNC port heads Make more power then others for less money . Unless you can find a set of the first W2 rectangle port Batten heads designed by Oldsmobile. But then get ready to put tons of money in them.

There is another shop in Lansdale with a stash of 64 Max Wedge top ends. But then that **** is out dated now compared to some of the later aluminum heads. The old **** is great to look at but gathering all the parts to use them is crazy. And when you break something your on a year long hunt for parts.

I bought 4 pair from Lee Millers auto. He bought several pallets of engines and parts from Ray Evernham when he went to GM in Nascar. Lee raced Nascar truck series. He still has tons of parts on shelves including complete race engines with W9 top ends. I took a bunch of W5 and W2 top ends out to Ryan Johnson at Shady Dell . He screwed me on everything. X blocks , Batten Heads, Everything disappeared.

Lee Miller still has more Parts then you can imagine. He says he don't but I been in the upstairs of the shop. I found the only W5's that are worth anything are some with blue pipe plugs. All other have bad porosity problems and don't hold seats or guides the aluminum starts flaking away. Indy 360-1 rectangle CNC port heads Make more power then others for less money . Unless you can find a set of the first W2 rectangle port Batten heads designed by Oldsmobile. But then get ready to put tons of money in them.

There is another shop in Lansdale with a stash of 64 Max Wedge top ends. But then that **** is out dated now compared to some of the later aluminum heads. The old **** is great to look at but gathering all the parts to use them is crazy. And when you break something your on a year long hunt for parts.

Is Ryan in jail or a hospital. Sounds like he got some guys pretty good and some guys made out like bandits.

-
Back