Veterans On the Board

-
20220520_095122_resized.jpg
20220520_095825_resized.jpg
Paul
looking forward to you coming back.....
Open arms waiting!
Thanks Brother! The decision to move was finalized on May 20th, after an illegal immigrant ran down the sidewalk for 100 yards, and hit my truck in my driveway at 50 MPH. She didn't speak english, and her insurance papers were invalid. I bought Ruby, my 2008 Nissan Frontier 4X4 SE, new after having her built to my specs. Very rare crew cab long bed. Tow package with 7 pin connectors, oil and tranny coolers, rear seat airbags($1K option), moonroof, bedliner and extender, custom tonneau, 2" suspension lift, limited slip in both axles, high end Kenwood stereo with amp and sub, yada, yada. 84,029 miles. My log book has every tank of gas, all maintenance records, and all repairs with receipts. I'm and old former Jarhead, so you know the drill. State Farm declared it a total loss, and claims it's only worth $16K. I'm getting a professional appraisal and going to the mat(t) with them. I'm thankful to God no one was killed this time, and my garage with my Swinger weren't hit this time. It sealed the deal to move. We're looking at a couple of houses near Deland, and Hudson. If I may impose, I might ask you to check out some of these houses, as you know what us Moparites want in a garage. Enjoy Memorial day, my Brother veteran.

Paul
looking forward to you coming back.....
Open arms waiting!
Thanks Brother! The decision to move was finalized on May 20th, after an illegal immigrant ran down the sidewalk for 100 yards, and hit my truck in my driveway at 50 MPH. She didn't speak english, and her insurance papers were invalid. I bought Ruby, my 2008 Nissan Frontier 4X4 SE, new after having her built to my specs. Very rare crew cab long bed. Tow package with 7 pin connectors, oil and tranny coolers, rear seat airbags($1K option), moonroof, bedliner and extender, custom tonneau, 2" suspension lift, limited slip in both axles, high end Kenwood stereo with amp and sub, yada, yada. 84,029 miles. My log book has every tank of gas, all maintenance records, and all repairs with receipts. I'm and old former Jarhead, so you know the drill. State Farm declared it a total loss, and claims it's only worth $16K. I'm getting a professional appraisal and going to the mat(t) with them. I'm thankful to God no one was killed this time, and my garage with my Swinger weren't hit this time. It sealed the deal to move. We're looking at a couple of houses near Deland, and Hudson. If I may impose, I might ask you to check out some of these houses, as you know what us Moparites want in a garage. Enjoy Memorial day, my Brother veteran.

20220520_095825_resized.jpg

20220520_114636_resized.jpg

Ruby was parked nose first in the driveway. Many families, people walking their dogs, and elderly use the sidewalk all day. Ruby's frame and bed are twisted, and the brain is fried. I'm removing my stereo and spendy parts before she's sent to the recycler. The whole front clip is mint. I'm pretty upset. I'm not looking for sympathy, all Veterans know where that is in the dictionary. Apologies to the Mods, I'll continue my conversation with Matt in a PM. Paul.

I pray all Veterans enjoy Memorial Day. On this date 45 years ago, in 1977, a 19 year old wild eyed Southern boy joined the United States Marine Corps. Semper Fidelis.
20220529_184242_resized.jpg

I have the ultimate respect for all Veterans, no matter what theater they served in, or what service. We've all done things that very few civilians understand. We put our *** on the line for 24/7 for our country. I won't cry or apologize for what I did in service for my country. My personal Thanks to all Vets for their service. The government should take better care of us old Warriors, but they don't. Love and respect sent to all Veterans. Stay strong!

Attention to Orders

FLASH- Medal of Honor Reception for MAJ John J. Duffy- 5TH SFG, RVN
5 JUL 2022-1800 Hours

The Special Forces Charitable Trust is hosting this reception in the Sheraton, Pentagon City, 900 S. Orme Street, Arlington, VA 22204.

This is MAJ Duffy's citattion for the DSC which has been elevated to the MoH:

Major (Infantry) John Joseph Duffy, United States Army, for extraordinary heroism in connection with military operations involving conflict with an armed hostile force in the Republic of Vietnam. Major Duffy distinguished himself while serving as the Senior Advisor, 11th Airborne Battalion, Airborne Division, Army of the Republic of Vietnam at Fire Support Base Charlie, Kontum Province, Republic of Vietnam during the period 14 and 15 April 1972. Beginning with the morning of the 14th and continuing for a period of approximately twenty-four hours, Major Duffy repeatedly made heroic contributions to the defense of the fire base. When attempts at resupplying the base were still being considered, Major Duffy exposed himself to the effects of the continuous bombardment the base experienced as he targeted anti-aircraft weapons and adjusted airstrikes on them. When the resupply attempts were abandoned Major Duffy moved about the base, continuing to expose himself to the enemy fire, treating and finding shelter for wounded Vietnamese defenders. During the early evening initial ground assault, Major Duffy ignored the massive small arms fire as he adjusted gunships and artillery on the advancing enemy formations. When the enemy finally gained control of a portion of the base and advanced to within ten meters of his position, Major Duffy had the supporting gunships make a run directly on him. Eventually the fire base had to be abandoned. Major Duffy was the last man off the base, remaining behind to adjust the covering gunships until the last possible moment. After the Battalion Commander was wounded, Major Duffy assumed command and lead (sic) the formation through the night. Finally, when the battalion was ambushed and the unwounded soldiers abandoned their wounded comrades, Major Duffy remained with the wounded and eventually was able to arrange for their extraction. Major Duffy's conspicuous gallantry in action was in keeping with the highest traditions of the military service and reflects great credit upon himself, his unit and the United States Army.

De Oppresso Liber,

blocked

Absolutely Amazing!!!
Timing chains and crankshafts aside, this is easily the most impressive forum on FABO.
Without all of you who served we might not even be able to have the freedom today that we do to communicate here.
Thank you ALL Veterans who have served around the world!
Shame Shame Shame on anyone who didn’t or won’t welcome home our troops!!!
Politics aside,That is just inhumane!
Please keep this forum rolling so more people are aware of what you went through or are going through for us.
Government take care of your troops in all and if they won't then you troops keep fighting so no-one forgets! I’m going to say you have fought tougher battles and maybe still are.
I am from North and fully support my brothers and sisters in the U.S.A. and our Canadian Forces.
God bless America!
It didn't get to be great on its own,
Veterans made it great!
Make sure you remind civilians of that often.
Thank you all Veterans every day of the year!

How about we see how many Vets we have.
List your branch and years in, also if you served overseas. Middle East, Europe, South America don't matter. Let's recognize everybody.
AirForce 1980-1993
Combat Vet
Panama 1989-1991
Italy 1980-1981
England 1981-1984
Was my pleasure to serve. Had a blast...literally.

AirForce 1980-1993
Combat Vet
Panama 1989-1991
Italy 1980-1981
England 1981-1984
Was my pleasure to serve. Had a blast...literally.
What did you do in the Air Force? I was in SAC, missile maintenance at EAFB, 1977 to 1981.

What did you do in the Air Force? I was in SAC, missile maintenance at EAFB, 1977 to 1981.
I was at there too at Ellsworth 81-86. I guess you were in 44th? I did Missile launch control and communication in Comm Squadron. 79-81 Whiteman. I haven't ever run across another. There were only about 100 of us in the entire USAF. I had to head to the flightline, load up in a Huey, and go fix something??? at a hot silo. Better than driving a six pack full of junk. Aw....good times!

I was at there too at Ellsworth 81-86. I guess you were in 44th? I did Missile launch control and communication in Comm Squadron. 79-81 Whiteman. I haven't ever run across another. There were only about 100 of us in the entire USAF. I had to head to the flightline, load up in a Huey, and go fix something??? at a hot silo. Better than driving a six pack full of junk. Aw....good times!
Yeah, there are a couple here dealt with nukes. One was a Navy guy in boomers. I liked out there in the Black Hills, but it's no longer cheap to live out there.

9Yeah, there are a couple here dealt with nukes. One was a Navy guy in boomers. I liked out there in the Black Hills, but it's no longer cheap to live out there.
I loved the Black Hills and probably stayed but, all our family were in KY. My wife was ready to go home. I got back from Olympic Arena (Missile Combat Competition) and was called into 1st Sargent's office. I thought what am I in trouble for...but no. I think it was a Wednesday when he handed me reenlistment papers. I said I wasn't, he says, you're a civilian come Friday, go out process. Force reduction act and my request for extension was denied. Crazy 3 days packing and moving. Ok done with sidebar, back to the thread topic. Craig

Not really a sidebar since we are Veterans.

I started my career at McConnell AFB in Kansas in Missile Radio Maintenance (Ground Radio). I got down in one active silo before they were all deactivated. Also went down one that deactivated before being moved to ATC radio. From there I PCS'd to Tac Comm at RAF Greenham Common UK in the Ground Launched Cruise Missile system.

Funny 1st Sergeant story. Got called into his office as a Buck Sergeant and in a very serious tone he asked

"Do you have a young son?".
I said "yes sir, I have a two year old."
Still very serious he asked "Does he like to wear clothes?"
I said "No sir,
Then cracking a smile and trying not to laugh he said "one of your neighbors called saying he was running around with no clothes on !!"
I said, "I'll make sure he wears clothes sir!"

I loved the Air Force and my only regret is retiring after 21 years and not doing 30. We worked hard and played harder!!

Here's a pic of when I had an incentive ride in a T-37 around 1990.

IMG_20171022_204427199_TOP.jpg

I loved the Black Hills and probably stayed but, all our family were in KY. My wife was ready to go home. I got back from Olympic Arena (Missile Combat Competition) and was called into 1st Sargent's office. I thought what am I in trouble for...but no. I think it was a Wednesday when he handed me reenlistment papers. I said I wasn't, he says, you're a civilian come Friday, go out process. Force reduction act and my request for extension was denied. Crazy 3 days packing and moving. Ok done with sidebar, back to the thread topic. Craig

US Army 2002-2007. Stationed Giessen Germany 2-3 FA BN 1 AD 1 BDE. Baghdad/Najaf Iraq 2003-04 Tallafar/Ramadi Iraq 2006-07.
01C6FDE1-B8BA-490A-8C70-C7CD16F19420.jpeg

Last edited:
Not really a sidebar since we are Veterans.

I started my career at McConnell AFB in Kansas in Missile Radio Maintenance (Ground Radio). I got down in one active silo before they were all deactivated. Also went down one that deactivated before being moved to ATC radio. From there I PCS'd to Tac Comm at RAF Greenham Common UK in the Ground Launched Cruise Missile system.

Funny 1st Sergeant story. Got called into his office as a Buck Sergeant and in a very serious tone he asked

"Do you have a young son?".
I said "yes sir, I have a two year old."
Still very serious he asked "Does he like to wear clothes?"
I said "No sir,
Then cracking a smile and trying not to laugh he said "one of your neighbors called saying he was running around with no clothes on !!"
I said, "I'll make sure he wears clothes sir!"

I loved the Air Force and my only regret is retiring after 21 years and not doing 30. We worked hard and played harder!!

Here's a pic of when I had an incentive ride in a T-37 around 1990.

View attachment 1716066069
That's funny about your son. Boys will be boys. LOL

Question for all vets working with nukes during 70's and up..Did any of you receive the Cold War Service Medal?

USAF active 1970-1974
I spent 18 months in Minot With the 5th OMS helicopter detachment. we Transported Missile crews as the primary mission.
Then, God smiled on me, and I escaped SAC in July of 72' to Howard AFB (Panama) with the 24th CAM squadron,UH1-N. That was a great assignment, with the best people! My Barracks was across the street from For Kobbe, So I got to watch the 82nd Airborne guys double time every morning, like a parade! Lots of Vietnam combat Veterans assigned there, and I had many Infantry buddies!
I saw literally every active Plane in the USAF Inventory at the time fly in and out of there,,,,All the recips made it seem like a scene out of World War II.

C119's,123's,C-47's,C-130's, O-2's,A contingent of H-3 Sikorskys, and a revolving door of A-7's on deployment.
A P-51 from an Air Force Unit( I don't remember what south American country) even flew in a couple times!
and the constant Noise of recips taxiing, and, I had a brand new 73 CB 750 Honda to tool around in!

It was a great time!

Fort Kobbee Howard AFB.jpg

20180116_1553225costa Rica 1973 UH1-N.jpg

US ARMY 1990-1999 Illinois National Guard 1999-2004 11B/18D Desert Storm, Ops Northern and Southern Watch, Saudi Arabia,Qatar,South Korea and a few others.

img_2021_01_09_09_10_30.jpg

Last edited:
Dummy bird, a mock up but one that was used for initial training. Plus it's the view at Delta 9, Minuteman Missile NHS. It was a live site back in the day.

FB_IMG_1632355767888.jpg

Gotta be the military gene... When the yard is done... edging is square... weeds are pulled.. there's just a level of peace in the world.

Because I'm not worried that the First Sergeant is going to show up and lose his **** because the rake lines in the gravel aren't straight.

20230506_154600.jpg

-
Back