Vibration

-
I had a vibration, and found it was the header up against the column. Moved the engine over just a tad, and is now gone. My steering wheel also vibrated a little like yours.

Damn. Now you guys have me thinking other things now. I'm almost to the point of pulling the motor, crank, and having the whole rotating assembly balanced again.

Lol don't pull it. Yet.
Check your motor mounts aren't rubbing the block, and if you have PS and headers go get you a BFH.

Damn. Now you guys have me thinking other things now. I'm almost to the point of pulling the motor, crank, and having the whole rotating assembly balanced again.
Roger.... many things to do yet before puling the engine! Pull the harmonic damper and take some pix of the front and back side so we can figure out that part of the equation. And pull the bell housing cover and doublecheck that the torque converter is non-weighted. These are easy steps to take before getting too drastic.

The converter is non weighted. I bought it brand new, so I'm sure of that. The engine was purchased off of a guy that was running perfectly (as far as I know) in a 70 Challenger. I don't have power steering, so no rubbing there.

Roger, just wanting to be sure. How about the damper? If you have not examined that in detail, you're missing half of the external balance weighting. It is just as important to an external balanced engine as the TC and flexplate. Your description of the damper as having flats on top and bottom is suspicious. Is there anything stopping pulling that part off? SOmeone may be able to ID it form pix and help resolve that.

Here's what I could get real quick.

Attachments

• 20151006_204233.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 167
  • 20151006_204302.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 166
  • 20151006_204340.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 161
attachment.php

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=203837

^^^ 360, I presume....? Who suggested wrong damper in post #2? (Raise your hand, skep419...LOL)

My apologies, if I am not looking at things right... it looks like the cut out part of the ring does not extend nearly as far around as on the one pictured by skep. That would make sense for an external balance 340 vs 360 damper. If indeed the same, then that part looks to be OK... one more thing off your list. But be sure they really are identical.

I still think there is a lot to investigate before pulling the engine....do you have any reason to think the balance was done wrong, or not at all after a major change in rotating assembly parts?

Your balancer looks like its for a 73 cast crank 340 not a 360. The cast crank 340s are the only ones i have seen that say "For Cast Crank Only" . If you look at the pictures, yours does not have as much offset weight as the 360 one. I don't know how far columbus is from sullivan county, but I have a couple of 360 balancers if you want to borrow one. Let me know and I will PM my phone #.

Ok, I just realized skeps first picture is the one with writing. But yours does not seem to have as much weight.

Here is the outer most part of the weight. This is a rough measure, but you get the jist.

Attachments

• 20151007_191049.jpg
    14.8 KB · Views: 142
How thick is the weight ,measured from the face of the balancer ?

I measured one of mine , measured like yours in post #68 mine is just under 3/8 . It is 1/2 inch thick. The width of the ring the weight makes on the non weighted side is .300

If that is the same damper it was balanced with,then it should be fine. Now, back to the other end. Does it look like the shop that balanced it made corrections on the flywheel ? I couldn't tell from your picture.

Thanks for the very good link skep. This all is a process of asking what items could be the issue, and then diving into each issue and eliminating them one at a time. This would have been an easy fix....

Sam, the OP ID's the flexplate as one of the B&M types that has a notch out of it, and the PN is indeed for a 360. Any weight change at that end would most likely be done at the crank anyway.

OP, do you know what pistons and rods are in your motor? I ask to see if it is very different from the originals. EDIT: Never mind; I found your link to the engine description. I am going to try to make a rough comparison of the standard 360 bobweights to what you have to see if they change a lot. Give me a day...

Have you ever been able to confirm or deny with the seller if the assembly was balanced? It seems to be unclear if that was done nor not from your earlier posts, and indeed the 'for sale' description does not make it clear; the only statement related to balance is "Mopar cast iron crankshaft, external balanced with Mopar front damper $400".

-
Back