Vin switch from rusty to trusty?

-
It is illegal on the federal level and unlike Colorado, you will not pass go and collect $200 on your way to jail.

This isn't a rebodied pickup truck (Think: No Frame). It's not re-tagging a tagless car. It's fraud, plain and simple.

Tell your buddy to ****** off, delete your post here, and pull your head out of your *** before you post online.

^^^this^^^^ (perfect!)

Just so you know VIN stands for Vehicle Identification Number. It Identifies the Vehicle, Every Vehicle, at least for this conversation, has one. Why switch the VIN, the vehicle you are putting it on has a VIN as built. Dont swap VIN's. It is a federal crime and it hurts the Mopar hobby.

One major down side to unibody cars. Have a rusted out Chevelle body on a good frame? You can buy a COMPLETE aftermarket shell, set it on your frame and title it. Why the hell can't we?

One major down side to unibody cars. Have a rusted out Chevelle body on a good frame? You can buy a COMPLETE aftermarket shell, set it on your frame and title it. Why the hell can't we?
Myself and others, I would guess, would assume the VIN swap was to A:cover up a stolen car. B: pass off a non pedigreed car as a desirable Something it is not. the /6 car has a vin, use it. This being said, there seems to me to be a lot of "formula S" cudas out there. I wonder how many were built that way?

Here is what can happen. You swap the vin on a car in one of the "we don't give a crap states". Then you sell the car to me here in Colorado. Here every out of state car that comes into Colorado has to have a vin search before getting a title here. So the trooper doing the vin inspection sees that the numbers on the body don't match the numbers on the vin tag and title. Then he impounds the car and now I'm having a long sit down with him. He wants to know who I bought the car from so they can inform the Feds. Now I'm out the car and my money. Things are getting real ugly.
As far a pot in Colorado and other states the feds are taking a wait and see action. It is still against Federal law. The Feds did come here and shut down several pot shops a while back because they were tied to the drug cartels.

It is illegal on the federal level and unlike Colorado, you will not pass go and collect $200 on your way to jail.

This isn't a rebodied pickup truck (Think: No Frame). It's not re-tagging a tagless car. It's fraud, plain and simple.

Tell your buddy to ****** off, delete your post here, and pull your head out of your *** before you post online.

Nobody asked you to be a dick. Take your own advice.
To everyone else who has been so kind as to shed some light on the subject, thank you. As I thought it's definitely not a good idea. However I think there should be different laws to be able to do this kind of thing easier and legal. Anyway, I've heard all I need to hear thanks again.

Myself and others, I would guess, would assume the VIN swap was to A:cover up a stolen car. B: pass off a non pedigreed car as a desirable Something it is not. the /6 car has a vin, use it. This being said, there seems to me to be a lot of "formula S" cudas out there. I wonder how many were built that way?

And to you... my friend wasn't looking to make money on a stolen car. There are such a thing as good roller cars. He just wants to be able to drive it to the track not trailer it. Any way, moving on. Apparently too many people on this forum have cob stuck up their asses.

Just pull the good drive train out of the crappy car and put it in the good one. Period.

I don't think he was being a dick. He was giving good advice. You know it's illegal. That you posted the question makes me question your good sense, or lack thereof. It's a crime and the people who do it are usually dirtbag car thieves. Don't be a dirtbag car thief.

It sounds like your buddy does not have a "replacement" car yet. But we can safely assume the "replacement" car will have a VIN of it's own. As others have mentioned, swap drive train, and other misc parts and be done. Doesn't seem there would be any good reason to make this VIN swap, even if the Dart in question was a '68 Hemi Dart, since the "replacement" would not be a true '68 Hemi Dart.
I am curious why your buddy is thinking about doing this. What pedigree does this Dart have that has your buddy considering this option?

A person can join in this futile crusade here and post delusions on how every vin
swap was done by a thief or someone out to cheat the next owner.
Truth is this is not the case most of the time with these 45 year old cars.
Titles get lost and their owners die or cant be found. Some states are not as easy as others for the enthusiasts to remedy a lost title problem.
This has been going on since the beginning of the automobile and will go on as long as there are automobiles and guys to build them. It is beyond the control of the law or anyones opinions. Always has been, always will be.
Post 2 sums it up as realistic as possible.
It is what it is a futile crusade.

Maybe the guys that think swapping VINs is OK can give out some advice on making meth at home & selling it on the street next?

Just because some low-lifes do it does not make it OK.

A person can join in this futile crusade here and post delusions on how every vin
swap was done by a thief or someone out to cheat the next owner.
Truth is this is not the case most of the time with these 45 year old cars.
Titles get lost and their owners die or cant be found. Some states are not as easy as others for the enthusiasts to remedy a lost title problem.
This has been going on since the beginning of the automobile and will go on as long as there are automobiles and guys to build them. It is beyond the control of the law or anyones opinions. Always has been, always will be.
Post 2 sums it up as realistic as possible.
It is what it is a futile crusade.

Losing a title is not the same as swapping a vin tag. Talk about delusions.

Those of you that thinks it is ok to do should call your State Police and tell them that you want to swap a vin tag for one car to another and see what they say.

I never said it was legal to do or that I am condoning the practice. Just stating the obvious that you can't stop it from happening in the past, present or future and it isn't only being done to hide theft or to create a car to cheat someone.
It has nothing to do with other crimes that you also can't stop. Doesn't mean I agree with
those taking place everyday.
When it comes to getting a old car that has no available title back on the road a person has
to do so by jumping thru the hoops a state sets up as procedure by law. It could be these hoops are not possible or perhaps more difficult or costly. Whatever the reason for some
it is perhaps the only way possible to get their car registered and on the road in the state they live in.
I am not saying it is alright, but I am saying it is going to happen no matter how you feel about it. Futile crusade.

I'll try to make this short. Friend bought a dart and decided that it was too rusty for him to save. Frame rails are gone mostly fenders are chewed up trunk is paper thin, floors paper thin. He scored it cheap but it ran and drove. Anyway he pitched me the idea of buying a good body and just switching the vin tags and drivetrain so it was legal to drive. I told him it probably wasn't legal. But I've heard of people selling titles and the dash vin and fender tag together at swap meets. So what part of this makes it illegal. Is there a loophole I need to be aware of? What can he do to make it legal?

i don't get it. sound slike your friend is over thinking things or hiding something. if the driveline is ok why not just pull that and put it in a cleaner body? no switching vin tags or anything. title and register the new body using its original numbers and tags.

these days the main reason in most cases to swap tags is to deceive people and sell say a 6cyl car as something like a 340 car. i'm sure over the years swamping tags have been done for all sorts of reasons.

hallelujah:prayer::cheers:

Nobody asked you to be a dick. Take your own advice.
To everyone else who has been so kind as to shed some light on the subject, thank you. As I thought it's definitely not a good idea. However I think there should be different laws to be able to do this kind of thing easier and legal. Anyway, I've heard all I need to hear thanks again.

When it comes to switching VIN's, "YOUR BUDDY" is the one being the dick. As far as me being a dick, I'm trying to get through to you, in no uncertain terms, that a dick in your *** while you bite your pillow in a prison cell is where this is going to lead you.
I spent ten years working in an industry where this is pretty damn common, and the cops are smarter (and much more aggressive) than you think about following up on this stuff.

I may be a dick about it, but since you didn't bother to look it up or ask law enforcement in your state (which is the common sense thing to do), I'm not going to lose the message by not being heard. I'm posting for YOUR sake, not mine.

And now that I've had your attention, go back and read what I wrote about putting at least twenty feet between you and anything or anybody associated with this.

And fwiw, any time I think someone's being a dick, first thing I do is go back and figure out where I had my head up my ***. 99% of the time, I find it in five minutes.

If you get a clean body with an intact vin, just do the paperwork for that vin, and use it.

I have a 69 notch sold to me by another member that was partially stripped out. I intend to put the car back together. When he sold the dash frame out of it, he removed the vin and kept it. When he sold me the car with a bill of sale, i got the dash vin plate, it matches the numbers on the trunk rail and core support. I have since gotten another 69 rallye dash frame, and will buy the correct rivets to reaffix the vin.

This is a different case as i have the vin for the car, and i am not moving these numbers to a different body shell.

These guys are right, its a federal crime to swap vins indiscriminately. Additionally it can be concidered insurance fraud if you misinterpret the vehicle you swapped vins on, like making a hemi RR out of a slant 6 belvedere, and then insure it as a hemi RR, then trying to collect on the insurance should a property claim, loss occur with that car that you collect on.

I think the only time its legal is during a rebody, like the new dynacorn shells, because like an aftermarket motorcycle frame these come with a certificate of origin from the manufacturer. However in these cases with new rebodies every state law is different , you would need to consult your states motor vehicle laws regarding a builders title , or reconditioned vehicle title etc.

Just my .02
Matt

I know of a car that has been sitting for 20 years. Because I know the history of the car, I know why. It doesn't make it right but now what to do with the shell. The Vin was swapped back in the 80s after an accident. During the search for a new quarter panel a complete car was found with no motor. He bought the car for 100 and decided he didn't want to cut up the donor car. Against our advice the car Vin was swapped along with motor and transmission. Last numbers of Vin were only difference. Both cars had same options save for one was an air conditioning car. I know where this car sits now and the owner is afraid to sell it to anyone he doesn't know. This was done by him when he was 18 and not as wise as he is today now. Would the best course of action be to remove the Vin completely and apply for a replacement. If the original stamped numbers are in tact?

And to you... my friend wasn't looking to make money on a stolen car. There are such a thing as good roller cars. He just wants to be able to drive it to the track not trailer it. Any way, moving on. Apparently too many people on this forum have cob stuck up their asses.
what is wrong with the Vin that came with the car he just wants to drive to the track? EVERY CAR HAS A VIN!! NO NEED TO SWAP IT!!!

-
Back