Vintage Air System not too cool????!!!!

-
New model engines work better at around the 200 mark. I wouldn't worry about that at all. Did you get the fan mod done? Did you try the reprogram on the evap controller? You're duct temp ain't bad, but I'm thinking there is room for improvement. Maybe wait until this silly weather mellows out a bit. Hell, I pulled the back window on my Valiant today and had to jump into the pool to dry off.

Rev, I didn't do the fan mod or reprogram the evap ecu, kinda leary to do either one since the harness went up in smoke once already. I did find a fan(s) controller from Ron Francis, AR-99, and have been leaning towards this, but haven't pulled the trigger yet. Engine temp wasn't a concern since the acv was on and it was 1-o-hot outside, but I'm still leaning on the airflow idea (not enough) thru the condensor so I'm gonna borrow a friends 14 inch fan and give it a try (mounted in front of the consensor as a pusher) to see if that helps.

So, due to my computer retardation, try this for a relay diagram...

Attachments

• relay.pdf
    72.8 KB · Views: 389
Thanks Rev, your the best!! I'll go get a relay and wire it in.

Wired in the relay, fans run when compressor is going and not a friggin' difference in the vent temp. Switched the stepper motors to different spots and no difference. So this leaves only 2 possibilities...1, the door for the evap and heat coils is still not closing all the way...2, the compressor. Not sure why about the compressor so I thought that I would just toss that into the mix. I still have not tried to re-set the VA ecu, as I'm too chicken, but might have to man up and do it anyway.

Wired in the relay, fans run when compressor is going and not a friggin' difference in the vent temp. Switched the stepper motors to different spots and no difference. So this leaves only 2 possibilities...1, the door for the evap and heat coils is still not closing all the way...2, the compressor. Not sure why about the compressor so I thought that I would just toss that into the mix. I still have not tried to re-set the VA ecu, as I'm too chicken, but might have to man up and do it anyway.

What? Put down your purse son and reset that ECU. It ain't going to hurt it and I am pretty sure it is NOT the compressor.

Just licking my wounds Rev, gonna reset the ecu in the morning. Once thats done, then I'll grab my store bought balls and carry them proudly, lol!! This has to be it since the air is only getting "so" cold. It's kinda like a cnc, you want to go from x to y but the machine needs to know where x is at before it can get to y. Thats my analagy for the blend door anyway.

So now that I just spit my tasty beverage on my keyboard, let me know how that works out for you. (The ECU, you're kinda on your own with the store brand balls).

Tito, give me a tissue. I thought you would like that!

Talked with the VA tech, and he had me disconnect 1 side of the trinary switch and run a jumper wire from the battery to the trinary. This made the compressor run continuosly, fans still would cycle, ran the engine at about 1800-2000rpm's and the vent temps came down to 48-50ish. Now we are getting somewhere. He asked what the pressures are but my high side hose fitting took a dump so I could not connect my gauges to see what the pressures are. So I need to get a new set of gauges or go down to the ac shop and see what the readings are. My best guess is I'm a few oz. low on freon. Thats the latest, will post more when I get gauges or get to the ac shop.

Congrats. Seems like you've got a work A/C just in time for fall.

LOL on various refrigerants. A by-product of burning R-12 is Phosgene, a nerve agent.

-
Back