w2 econo heads or edelbrock

-

snooprob

Reaction score
I have a 1968 340 block i want to build a killer 416 that revs all day and runs off pump fuel with a healthy solid roller cam.
Which heads do I use?
A friend has a set of w2's or should i go aluminum?

fully ported the w2 offer more performance, but they will cost more...

dont know what parts you have now or what parts can be reused....but

w2 heads require their own headers...intake manifold..and new rockers arms..

personally...if I had intake, headers and rockers that could be used on the eddy heads I would save that money from not having to buy new parts for the w2 heads and have the eddy ported...

and what is rev all day?

What are we building street car...race car....strip/street..?

X2 on the eddies, all the extra cost to run a W2 type head, unless you already have all the needed parts, is not worth it to me. Plus you have aluminum head, can run more compression on pump gas and weigh less

More compression and lighter weight are small peanuts on a street car. Get enough peanuts together and you might have something!

A lot depends on what I have and what I have to spend considering where I want to go or be at. The above statements are 100% true and IMO, if your starting from scratch, I would give the nod to the Edelbrock heads. Even though they will make less power, you have to figure in the added cost to go faster with the W2's more expensive set ups.

Start poking around on prices.

FWIW, Hughes engines full ported RPM heads offer an excellent power output as well as bang for the buck. There Big Mouth CNC'd heads offer more flow but cost more.

Rev all day? A quality build and enlarging the oiling system is what you'll need to start out with.

what i suggest you do...is get a piece of paper and write down all the parts you need for the w2 heads....rockers...shafts..intake ..headers...heads...

do the same with the eddy heads...

as said above...what are we building?

Gotta love the W2's if you can get the whole Enchilada for your price. Econo's are an option as they take stock valvetrain but still need a W2 intake. Exhaust is dual pattern drilled so headers can be had.

econo still need the offset intake rockers....and depends on what econo head you have...standard or long valve heads....several versions were made..

long stem valves are drilled for a larger bolt in the pedestals...

standard LA headers fit w2 heads like ****...LOL

Attachments

• IMG_1059.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 881
If I had W-2's I would run from the edlebrock heads. In econo fashion those heads will easily take .650 NET lift where .600 NET is tough with standard heads.

The little extra cost for the W2 stuff is well worth it. The original 340 Pcar head was designed just that, 340 CID and about 6K RPM You want to add about (roughly) 24% displacement and the add RPM. That is a recipe for a P-I-G pig. Lots of guys do it but that don't make it right.

You can't get too much area with a W2 for 370-380 and again, you want to add more displacement?

Make sure you do your homework. I would never use an eddy head when W2's are there.

And, I have flowed the W2 port with several different header pipes on it. As long as the header tube is 1.875 it will NOT affect flow, even though the mismatch looks like a looser. If you use a smaller tube than 1.875, that port mismatch will kill flow.. With that much CID your header size should NEVER, EVER be less that 1.875.

EDIT: Just saw the solid roller comment...run like you are on fire from the eddies. Use the W2's and never look back. In fact, for a few bucks more, you can buy the offset shafts and stands and mill down the pedestal. That way you can NET .750 or maybe even .780 lift and make big power.

this is why i went with w2 heads instead of edelbrock
I was upping the cubic inches to 418
had stock iron heads

I was going to get new headers
had to get new springs and valves
probably go to roller rockers in case i went solid lifter in future.
cheaper to get newer heads aka edelbrock

ran into a set of w2's
bought rollers from harland sharp
did a valve job (was going to double check the edelbrock anyways)
got the w2 headers
did i come out ahead? not sure but i know that engine loves to rev quick!

if you have the coin and want to go deep in the 10s then get the W2s. I had a 040 over 340 with the long valve econo W2s out of the box made 550 hp @ crank with a 600 lift solid cam 12.5 comp. oval intake ports D shaped exh.ports . the down side is there cast iron, butb you can still get all the parts fairly easy. jegs has them listed under mopar performance parts for 660.00 a head I think but doesn't say if there econos or the race head. race head you will need the rocker stands and the chambers are usually 58 to 63cc. the econos are 65 to 70cc. sorry for the long reply.

old w2 heads are open chamber-no quench. some newer w2 heads are closed chamber-quench is good. I see w2 closed chamber heads flowing 260 @ .600", ported 310 @ .600. Ed perf. rpm heads, with quench, flowing 250, 300 ported with 2.08" valves. according to the formula from air flow research, that extra flow is good for about 15 more horse, then factor in quench

econo still need the offset intake rockers....and depends on what econo head you have...standard or long valve heads....several versions were made..

long stem valves are drilled for a larger bolt in the pedestals...

standard LA headers fit w2 heads like ****...LOL
Oops, I stand corrected. Maybe thats why I didnt buy those bare W2's for $300 15 years ago...no, it was because i just didnt have it!

old w2 heads are open chamber-no quench. some newer w2 heads are closed chamber-quench is good. I see w2 closed chamber heads flowing 260 @ .600", ported 310 @ .600. Ed perf. rpm heads, with quench, flowing 250, 300 ported with 2.08" valves. according to the formula from air flow research, that extra flow is good for about 15 more horse, then factor in quench

How do you figure that the early W2's have no quench? That is so wrong it's not funny. Quench is achieved by the piston to the head. The correct number has ALWAYS been to have the piston .054 POSITIVE, that is OUT OF THE DECK, minimum. If you are using thicker that .017 gaskets then that number gets greater. So to say it has no quench is just wrong. That has been the publish number since the mid 1970's. Getting most piston manufacturers to make a correct piston may be a different issue. But you can get quench with the early W2's and the Pcar heads. That's how I run 11.08:1 on pump gas with iron heads.

It takes a bunch of work to get the closed chamber version of the W2 to make power. Just like the W5.

As others have said, the uniqueness of the W2 causes you to buy W2 specific parts which can really add up. But on the other hand, they make power really well and will get you at least an 11 if not a 10 second car on pump gas. If it's a street car the Eddies would probably be the way to go. I recommend the W2's for making a street strip car though. I really enjoy the power mine makes.

guess again yellow, the above deck number for a 1968-71 340 is .018=3.31 stroke, 6.123" rod, 1.840" piston and a 9.600" block. add a .017" gasket (good luck finding 1 at a decent price) and wow, the piston is up .001". sure we can deck the block and go custom pistons, but the average mopar open chamber area for quench is recessed .085". my point is the edelbrock heads flow very close to the w2, and getting a closed chamber head to flow more by enlarging the chamber to the bore size is simple. I run 11.5:1 on pump gas with J heads with custom pistons and quench, for the past 20 years, street and strip

On the early W2. There is no quench pad or area built into the head, AKA by many as a closed chambered head. Later on, they made closed chambered heads with various cc amounts (down to IIRC, 53 cc).

You can achieve a good quench area with open chambered heads and a domed slug, no problem.
Getting a good quench area with a closed chambered head is EZ with a zero deck flat top and proper thickness on the gasket. AKA, Edelbrock head. Cheap and easy, good to very good power.

W2 head, more expense and more pricey, but ultimately, more power. Properly built, Excellent street strip/strip power.

Yellow Rose, no problem making good power with my W5's. Zero issues. Nice and Eeeeee Zzzzzz!

Rob, i bet even the stock magnum bumpstick will haul some beans in that light by comparison Dart. May want to remind him of the fuel pump issue.

we all agree on 1 thing. want to go fast get the w2s. with the adapter plates on the exhaust ports you can run a 1 7/8 header or even a 2'' if you have a lite car. 3000lbs and under.

Eddies will run pretty fast too....and probably cheaper

guess again yellow, the above deck number for a 1968-71 340 is .018=3.31 stroke, 6.123" rod, 1.840" piston and a 9.600" block. add a .017" gasket (good luck finding 1 at a decent price) and wow, the piston is up .001". sure we can deck the block and go custom pistons, but the average mopar open chamber area for quench is recessed .085". my point is the edelbrock heads flow very close to the w2, and getting a closed chamber head to flow more by enlarging the chamber to the bore size is simple. I run 11.5:1 on pump gas with J heads with custom pistons and quench, for the past 20 years, street and strip

DUDE, YOU ARE STILL WRONG. Get the "A" engine performance book and take a read. You may actually learn something.

FWIW, a 340 that claims to be .018 out never EVER was out that far, and not one production 340 was ever anywhere NEAR the 10.5:1 compression claimed. I have been sticking pistons out the deck and MEASURING compression ratio since 1980.

If you go back and READ what I SAID, you START at .054 or so out. I've run them .100 out. And made power. That is how you get quench.

So before shooting off your mouth, better do some research. Because you are DEAD wrong.

we all agree on 1 thing. want to go fast get the w2s. with the adapter plates on the exhaust ports you can run a 1 7/8 header or even a 2'' if you have a lite car. 3000lbs and under.

Eddies will run pretty fast too....and probably cheaper

And here are a couple of fellas that know.

I have a fresh pair of Bodix B1-BA heads ported by Shady Dell with 2.08 intakes flowing 305.9 at .600 lift, 60.5cc chambers. Also have an excellent set of Hughes 1.6 aluminum roller rockers. This set up is ready to go. All you need to do is add your springs. Ran an alcohol R3 block at 2800lbs in the 8.30's.

$2,600 plus shipping

I have a 1968 340 block i want to build a killer 416 that revs all day and runs off pump fuel with a healthy solid roller cam.
Which heads do I use?
A friend has a set of w2's or should i go aluminum?

Really, I would go with ported Indy -1 heads and TD rockers...easy 650HP or more depending on combo...
Brian

-
Back