W2 Mopar inspection w/RAMM

-
Cam wise, I’d look at a longer exhaust duration cam. How much? No that is a good question!
What is the intake to exhaust flow balance with the exhaust manifolds installed? Also, would you bother researching the exhaust pulse wave and a pulse wave termination box(s) on the exhaust pipe?

Is been demonstrated before that going fast with factory parts can be done. They key is knowledge and exacting knowledge of what is going on with the engine from air cleaner/filter into the engine to the exhaust out to the tips.

I thought it just had to be a factory produced head .

Like I said...... read the rules.

FAST Factory Appearing Stock Tire Drag Racing

2.03 Cylinder Heads and Intake Manifold MUST be correct* OEM casting, have correct* original casting numbers and be of correct* original material.

This may very well be the most important and teched F.A.S.T. rule.

Note: Any cylinder head or intake manifold that is not the correct* casting number, must be approved and published on the F.A.S.T. website.

Casting date codes are not looked at and are not part of the tech process.

Last edited:
I went over the rules again and it does state factory issued casting only .
Although I am sure there is a lot of rules "interpreting" going on .

Did the rules change in the last few years ? Seems like they were more liberal before .

I dont plan on running FAST but am curious as to potential of a build like this .

The rules for the heads and intake have been the same since day one.
W2’s were never legal.

We’ve probably spent enough time muddying up Jesse’s thread.

The rules for the heads and intake have been the same since day one.
W2’s were never legal.

We’ve probably spent enough time muddying up Jesse’s thread.

I'm getting used to it--Doesn't really bother me when I learn from it. J.Rob

There are several cars on that FAST list that have run quicker, at FAST events, than the times they have posted on the list...... which would shuffle things up a little.

Looking through that list......there are 12 cars with heads I did, plus one with a set of heads that were mostly done at another shop and I finished them up, and two more where I did the last freshen up on them.

Last edited:
This was the worst of the damage besides two bent valves.
Touched it up. Before and after pics. J.Rob

nickedseat.jpg

touchedseat.jpg

All other seats were lapped and looked excellent. Gave'em a skim on the resurfacer .004"-.005" and assembled them after a trip to the jetwash. Now I wait for the two replacement valves. J.rob

lappedseat.jpg

assembledhead.jpg

Those spark plug divots look pretty deep. I wonder what spark plug Mopar recommended with those heads and what timing did they usually like?

Those spark plug divots look pretty deep. I wonder what spark plug Mopar recommended with those heads and what timing did they usually like?

I just read something recently that talked about those divots and there was a purpose behind them .

I just read something recently that talked about those divots and there was a purpose behind them .

IIRC, they are to get a tight, homogeneous and fairly rich mixture as close to the plug as possible to make it easy to light off. That’s what I remember.

That's interesting. I can't see how that would improve homogeneity. If the head doesn't scavenge well I cant see how that would help getting it started.

Also with it being so deep I would imagine indexing the plugs would be a given.

The later W2's had a very different chamber and plug lay out.

Latest W2 heads

Last edited:
That's interesting. I can't see how that would improve homogeneity. If the head doesn't scavenge well I cant see how that would help getting it started.

Also with it being so deep I would imagine indexing the plugs would be a given.

It doesn’t improve homogeneity. It provides a space for a more homogeneous mixture. Believe it or not, that chamber scavenges pretty well. And if you notice, that space also starts the burn t the plug but directs it to the exhaust side of the chamber.

That chamber isn’t nearly as archaic as the GM people want us to think.

It provides a space for a more homogeneous mixture

The whole chamber provides a space for a more homogenous mixture :lol:

I cant see how that design would do that and also the plug is enclosed so once you get the flame going there's stuff in the way.

The last addition?
8641EE3D-B8EB-4554-92BF-CC0ACE7D405A.jpeg
F7B9FC9C-ACE2-4664-8ABF-20289F7F0F87.jpeg
94E9F4DC-ED6F-4A5B-9344-F16D99274140.jpeg
BF1EC9CE-A253-46FB-AD35-1C18517BAA7B.jpeg
CE787BFD-FCB3-4E7F-8DF8-54D4BC020E9F.jpeg
DED2FF3B-ED33-47D3-A7F4-2824AF177DAD.jpeg
7CE4CD98-7340-403E-BC52-A082265EE503.jpeg
18B92E5F-F8C9-415F-9E63-42B6018B9B64.jpeg
AC68F777-7E52-45C0-96BC-31980B8E27D6.jpeg
D7AB1010-29F5-41C1-8C18-2D30E32363F7.jpeg

Last edited:
Not to hijack this thread, but...you guys like RAMM, yellow rose, gregconn and others...where and how did you learn the art and nuances of porting and head flow? I would never feel comfortable grinding and experimenting on a set of decent LA heads, especially not having a flow bench. It's pretty obvious that even what looks like an obvious improvement can actually slow down and stall air flow, create swirl and back flow where it may not be wanted, and other issues. Just curious? I can start another thread for this if anyone cares to elaborate. Again, not meaning to hijack here, just curious.

-
Back