W5 Heads for sale.. how much are they worth?

-
Status
Not open for further replies.

milehigh

Reaction score
I have a set of the later 1996 castings/blue capped for whats its worth with maybe 100 miles on them to and from the track before going to a big block. I also have the M1 intake and offset rockers to go with them. I was wondering how much this set up is worth as its time to start cleaning out the old Mopar garage. I know X J w2 and or edelbrock heads do not flow as much as these but I only have a 340 engine and one needs a stroker? to really make these come alive? Any thoughts on what they go market for now days. .

All depends on the buyer and plans. Unported, un modified units are getting harder to find, and if they were never run and unmodified that would make me wary. W5s had some serious issues with porosity and quality control that are well known. If I was buying and didn't know you from Adam - I'd lowball expecting to have to have everything closely inspected by someone who's got experience with them. If you have shop reciepts, flow testing records, or any paperwork to back you up that would help. To answer you - they're worth what someone will pay.

Like moper says there are inherent problems. Pressure check for sure.

Thank you, I guess I'll throw them on the auction site and take my chances. I am a ,do I dare say it, oldsmobile guy and am kinda clueless on this stuff. Thanks again and happy motoring.

I have a set of the later 1996 castings/blue capped for whats its worth with maybe 100 miles on them to and from the track before going to a big block. I also have the M1 intake and offset rockers to go with them. I was wondering how much this set up is worth as its time to start cleaning out the old Mopar garage. I know X J w2 and or edelbrock heads do not flow as much as these but I only have a 340 engine and one needs a stroker? to really make these come alive? Any thoughts on what they go market for now days. .

sold two sets of NEW BARE w5 heads on this forum with in minutes a couple of years ago....got 1000.00 for each set...

sold two sets of NEW BARE w5 heads on this forum with in minutes a couple of years ago....got 1000.00 for each set...
And they ported out very nicely. Had an issue. Epoxy fixed it. But they barley went any better than an Edelbrock head.
rocker arms $300 to 500 ,shafts $200 with stands, intake $250 to $300,heads $1500.00 to $3000.00 if they are clean never hurt.
IMO, a little off. Rocker arms w/shafts and stands $1500 new, Harland, T&D, intake $150 to $200, heads $500.00 - $600 or so bare each to $3000 well ported, ready to run. I'd ask a little more for mine. Ti. valves installed.

Last edited:
The use of these heads cn be an iffy thing since quality control wasn't very good at all with the foundry MoPar used. Personally, I think they (MoPar) got screwed by a careless tude on the foundry. Since there a proven good head by you, they should be OK to sell.

The OE iron head doesn't stand a chance in flow terms. The Edelbrock & W2 runs neck and neck, but, just ever so slightly behind the W5 until big lifts come in where it falls behind just a little bit. But, thats only if the W5 ports out that far. IF the W5 can go the full porting treatment, it is an excellent head.

Which intake do you have for it? There is the standard small runner which looks like the normal M1 for regular heads and then there is the large runner.

Thank you, I guess I'll throw them on the auction site and take my chances. I am a ,do I dare say it, oldsmobile guy and am kinda clueless on this stuff. Thanks again and happy motoring.
Hey, nothing wrong with being an Olds fan, You just have to like a different set of challenges than others. Still, a streetable 11sec. 455 Cutlass is doable, and a more interest-
ing ride w/some style.:welcome:

Sorry about the blurrry one. The
flow numbers on the 4.125 as easy to see and the hard to see is at a 4.03 bore.
IMG_0438.jpg
IMG_0710.jpg

Ready to Rock & Roll!
You can see a little epoxy on the left head, second port down from the top.

IMG_0429.jpg

Last edited:
The standard M1. They look the same for all the small blocks.
M-1 single plane.jpg

Large port W5-M1 coupled for a photo shoot.
IMG_0086.jpg

I don;t think the poster actually listed them for sale at the post time but just simply equipped about there worth.

Did you search his posts? And are you looking for a set?

got out of the W5 game back in 12.... sold this top end w/t the Indy intake for $3500. Haven't seen too many Ebrock heads going 9.8's....

2f74fcb0.jpg

it was a good lil mill. this set of heads were also the supposed "good" castings.... nawwwtt so good. :(

7-13-2007W5Engine-01.jpg

If you got the right set, they were really good heads. I wouldn't drop a dime on them however and would only do so at an almost free price tag.
Ive always been dissatisfied with the after market offerings for a ab mopar head that will bolt onto production blocks and/potentially flow over 320cfm

honestly in the stock block, standard intake and header market I would look at the heads Rod Bloomer is selling.

BPE | Facebook

My W5's were less in cost. Though they don't flow as much & there not CNC'd.
The meat and potatoes!

If you got the right set, they were really good heads. I wouldn't drop a dime on them however and would only do so at an almost free price tag.
Ive always been dissatisfied with the after market offerings for a ab mopar head that will bolt onto production blocks and/potentially flow over 320cfm
That's it right there! BAM BABY!

Over the years I've seen guys that port heads complain about issues with the W-5. The material some were cast from is very brittle and don't weld well or at all if repairs are needed. Porosity in the castings and core shift making a cnc porting program very difficult because what works on one head will find water in another. As mentioned when a good set is found in the right hands they will make good power.

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back