W7 INFO

-
He is VERY cool. And sharp. He held the national record back in 93 or 94 IIRC in a Daytona. I forget the class, but I'm pretty sure it was with W7 heads.

From our phone calls he was the lead on developing the 7 head. It basically started with the 5 casting and then developed from there.

IIRC his record was 7.77 at 167 and I *THINK* that was in C Econo Altered trim.

If you get the chance, ask him. I could be wrong.
I have that engine that was in that altered. It’s a 393.

Some guys weren’t happy about the whole deal. I’m glad someone has the balls and guts to produce Mopar stuff.

well back in 12 when I started piecing my W8 mill together I was nearly swayed going to this “new” Ritter block.... fortunately for me a couple of guys swayed me to go R3. Hindsight being what it is I’m very thankful for following that advice. I know of a few builds NOW that utilize the newer castings and they're doing well, as well as two that should be running soon out here in the west..... but I also know of a couple guys that tried these blocks back in the day that never hit the dyno due to the blocks “mixing fluids”. Dropping $3k+ on a block, + machine work just to find out it was unusable would have sank my battleship.... living through Stage VI and then W5... a block that created that level of misery would have pushed me straight to LS land .

Shilohs early Ritter trial and tribulations were well documented on Moparts. he had one of the few that lived and made good power, but not without issues.

“If” I hurt my 9.2 block, I’d prob look at the Ritter piece now.... or play with my 9.0 deck.

Dropping $3k+ on a block, + machine work just to find out it was unusable would have sank my battleship....
......a block that created that level of misery would have pushed me straight to LS land .
NO DOUBT!!!

That would wreck me and my budget to. The only thing that would save me is my stockpile of junk laying around to quickly put a 10 second engine together.

That would wreck me and my budget to. The only thing that would save me is my stockpile of junk laying around to quickly put a 10 second engine together.

haha
You beat the drum wanting 1/8mile racing, and yet reference1/4 mile times.
I agree. Nobody that is a mild everyday fan relates to 1/8 times, neither do most racers like you and me

Hey I can still make 1/4 mile passes when I want to. Test n tune every week or unplug my delay box and run Pro. Lol.

Hey I can still make 1/4 mile passes when I want to. Test n tune every week or unplug my delay box and run Pro. Lol.

they are forcing pro to run 1/8 all season now at US 131, for the first time ever. Longer shutdown than Norwalk. It blows bigtime. Lots of unhappy people

C altered I think. I’m really not sure. But they are not W7 heads.[/QUOTE
Hmmmmmmmm. Damn. Well, we talked about a ton of stuff and it was a long time ago. I'm wrong about the heads. My memory isn't as good as it once was.
Here’s the part# see what you come up with. Arrington/diamond?

20C8A41E-6B93-481D-85DB-5E18A6CBC81D.jpeg

Let me know what you find.

See post 39 and the link. I just read some of it but I'm not sure Ryan is 100% correct.

I'm substantially sure that the W7 head in part at least was developed by Kent Ritter when they had that C Econo car, the other part of the they being Webber and I can't think of his first name.

My memory of the conversation I had with Ritter was to NOT buy the W5 and move right to the 7's and not look back. Unfortunately, by the time I got around to getting the heads you couldn't sell your wife in prostitution to get a pair of them. They were like hens teeth and IIRC Chrysler was moving on from that platform to the 8's and 9's, which AGAIN was ignorant because they should have seen the market for stroker engines going through the roof. Had the kept the 5 with some simple updates the guys with the W2's could easily upgrade. And they'd have a head today that would be a damn good head.

Or, they could have went ahead and killed the 5 and made enough of the 7's to keep the price down. Chrysler was FLUSH with cash and they could have sat on those heads and let the market come to them. Piss poor management.

IIRC, the 7 was developed out of the 5, which is why they are fairly close. I remember when I got my 5's and started looking them over. Everything Ritter told mew as true. The valves were too short, so they drop the spring pocket. That blows. When you raise the roof you can't get it high enough without breaking through the spring pocket. Look at the 7 and it takes longer valves and the spring seat is much higher.

The 5 doesn't have the port raised nearly high enough, because of the above.

They usually had a butt load of porosity, and you have to have a cast iron gut (and a TIG welder handy) to fill in where needed.

The 5 is an 18 degree head while the 7 is a 15 degree head.

The 7 has the rocker shaft hold downs are already milled off and actually designed for a Jesel style shaft system. The 5 doesn't, and when you mill the stands down, they get a bit thin.

That's some of what I remember off the top of my head. I don't think (can't be sure) that Arrington had the corner on those castings.

Funny story. My dad wanted to go to the track and watch some road course stuff at Portland International Raceway. It was only a couple of miles from his house. Anyway, he kept riding me, telling me there is a bunch of MoPar sponsored cars down there.

I wasn't interested in FWD 4 banger junk, but he wore me down. We show up and it's the Archer brothers and another guy who I can't think of his name.

Arrington was there with them. After qualifying I went to the pits and hung out with the Archer brothers. I think one was named Tommy I think. They were looking at the plugs and we got into about a 20 minute conversation about plug reading and it was a great lesson. For free!

About the time we finished up, Arrington came over to lash the valves. When they took the valve covers off they were pretty tight with what you could see, but the heads on that engine appeared to be W5's.

They were fast. If you want to know the year, you can probably find it if you look it up. It was the year Walter Payton was there, and the goof ball Willy T. Ribbs.

Ribbs hit everything including the hot dog stand. He never made a clean pass all day and he clocked Payton pretty early in the race, IIRC.

He was a joke. That had to be in the early 1990's.

Just a little useless trivia.

@yellow rose

Ive heard the same thing about the 7 head.
On the W5. The porosity issue is worse than you state via most every owner of a 5 head I met. (Not internet speaking with)
And 3 people here that wished me luck with the 5 head.

When Brett Miller ported my heads he told me he tried to weld them but could not due to the crap aluminum used by the foundry screwing Chrysler like a 50 ***** on a cross country train ride. (And with many stops!) Epoxy was used and the porting stopped.

Also, are not the 5 head stands milled or is this a partial IYO?
2069539C-40B6-48AA-8745-D6B4CC547DC2.jpeg
97BDAB1A-E458-4E7D-8246-6F40E9CB5707.jpeg

Last edited:
I remember that post. I’m pretty sure the mopar performance catalog listed them as diamond cylinder heads. I know of only 2 other people that have another set of these heads and I don’t think they have near the work mine has. When I bought this engine back in 07 or 08 from vignonia it was ran in SS/AS in his duster, and he bought it from Kent Ritter. That’s what he told me. I will say one thing, my engine is a one off piece and a lot of trick stuff was done to it. When I bought it I put it on the dyno and it made 860@8300 and 598ftlbs@5800. I have since made a few upgrades while I freshened it up and I hope to hit the 900 mark. Great story by the way.

I remember that post. I’m pretty sure the mopar performance catalog listed them as diamond cylinder heads. I know of only 2 other people that have another set of these heads and I don’t think they have near the work mine has. When I bought this engine back in 07 or 08 from vignonia it was ran in SS/AS in his duster, and he bought it from Kent Ritter. That’s what he told me. I will say one thing, my engine is a one off piece and a lot of trick stuff was done to it. When I bought it I put it on the dyno and it made 860@8300 and 598ftlbs@5800. I have since made a few upgrades while I freshened it up and I hope to hit the 900 mark. Great story by the way.

Very cool.

@yellow rose

Ive heard the same thing about the 7 head.
On the W5. The porosity issue is worse than you state via most every owner of a 5 head I met. (Not internet speaking with)
And 3 people here that wished me luck with the 5 head.

When Brett Miller ported my heads he told me he tried to weld them but could not due to the crap aluminum used by the foundry screwing Chrysler like a 50 ***** on a cross country train ride. (And with many stops!) Epoxy was used and the porting stopped.

Also, are not the 5 head stands milled or is this a partial IYO?
View attachment 1715452530 View attachment 1715452531

In that bottom picture you have a good shot of the rocker block mount. When you mill that off far enough to get a Jesel or T&D system in there, it's very weak. That's one reason why I kept on working with the Chrysler system, as I'd seen some failures with the spring loads and RPM I was using when milling them down.

I'll go out in a bit and take a picture of the W7 mounts and you can see the difference.

Not many bracket guys were shifting at 85-8800 with 340 on the seat. I'm the odd duck.

May try to call Kent. Talked to him at the Indy show last March. Turns out he and I have worked at the same electric power plant (12 miles from my house) on some of the same outages. I bought a couple of things from him. Super nice guy.
Which power houses? I've worked at:
Petersburg
Edwardsport
Cayuga
Eagle Valley
Harding Street.

Which power houses? I've worked at:
Petersburg
Edwardsport
Cayuga
Eagle Valley
Harding Street.

It was at the Hoosier Energy plant near Merom Indiana. I have also worked at Edawardsport and Cayuga. Merom is great for me because it is so close,and an easy-going place to work, more of an old school atmosphere. I am about 25 miles from Edwardsport, so it ain't too bad either.

Thanks, I would decline but I think you should post it for the forum. I have seen the heads up close. FWIW, I hang out with smokindust when I can. He lives close by.

You said milled rocker stands and IMO and what I have read, the W5 would qualify for that regardless of what Jesel or TD would have you do to the head. (Which I knew about, but a good mention it is!) it is actually what I want to do.

Time will tell, the wallet is boss & dictates.

At what area of spring pressure is the weak area of the head at risk? Your the first to say this.

In that bottom picture you have a good shot of the rocker block mount. When you mill that off far enough to get a Jesel or T&D system in there, it's very weak. That's one reason why I kept on working with the Chrysler system, as I'd seen some failures with the spring loads and RPM I was using when milling them down.

I'll go out in a bit and take a picture of the W7 mounts and you can see the difference.

Not many bracket guys were shifting at 85-8800 with 340 on the seat. I'm the odd duck.

It was at the Hoosier Energy plant near Merom Indiana. I have also worked at Edawardsport and Cayuga. Merom is great for me because it is so close,and an easy-going place to work, more of an old school atmosphere. I am about 25 miles from Edwardsport, so it ain't too bad either.
Never been to that one. Yet.
I'm a Local 481 electrician.

-
Back