Walter P. Chrysler Museum to remain intact but closed to public

-
I'm not sure that a museum that's closed to the public is really a museum. Warehouse, maybe. "Storage unit," possibly. "Big expensive musty building with lots of stuff inside," certainly.

I'm planning on being in Detroit in the near future and was looking forward to going there.
If it's not open to the public if shouldn't be called a Museum! It's just a rental facility with some cool stuff to look at. Now I have to figure out how to kill a Friday afternoon in Detroit.

Plenty of killing in Detroit on a Friday afternoon

I'm planning on being in Detroit in the near future and was looking forward to going there.
If it's not open to the public if shouldn't be called a Museum! It's just a rental facility with some cool stuff to look at. Now I have to figure out how to kill a Friday afternoon in Detroit.

You could go see the ford museums in dearborn... (I forgot the name of it again...)

I can't say as I'm surprised. When the club I'm a member of went there before they closed for "remodeling", I thought this would happen. Tony couldn't care less about Chrysler's history. They shut down the Viper racing team shortly over taking over. We're lucky we still have Mopar Performance Parts.

That would have been my only reason for visiting Detroit.

It might be open on Saturday June 6th for the CEMA, Chrysler Employee Motorsport Association, car show. It usually is open for it. Do a search for the CEMA show.

Greenfield Village ---> That's it ---> Greenfield Village, that's the car history museum in Dearborn. It's supposed to be interesting, since you can't see the WPC museum/storage facility/warehouse...

It might be open on Saturday June 6th for the CEMA, Chrysler Employee Motorsport Association, car show. It usually is open for it. Do a search for the CEMA show.

It will be open for the CEMA show on June 6th, 2015.
Check it out:

[ame]http://www.cemaclub.org/2015cemashow/2015Flyer.pdf[/ame]

You could go see the ford museums in dearborn... (I forgot the name of it again...)

I'm going to be attending a private function at the Henry Ford Museum so I'm looking for something I have a little more interest in , like my Mopars! Dearfield village is nice but again devoted to Ford. I really enjoyed my last visit to the Walter P.

This announcement was made in 2013, as was this thread. Not sure what has happened with the museum since though...

You all realize this article and thread are over 2 years old right?

You all realize this article and thread are over 2 years old right?

Yes I do realize. I'm planning on being in Detroit soon and have been there and wanted to return. Went to their web site but couldn't find hours of operation. I now know why.

There's a whole lot more than just Fords and Ford stuff at the Henry Ford/Greenfield Village, automotive stuff is just a small portion of what's there.

If you like American history at all there are collections of just about anything you could think of in the museum.

Outside in the village there are historically significant buildings that have been moved there or been recreated. There is a full scale railroad that runs around the perimeter of the property that uses steam engines. A while back they built a roundhouse for storage and maintenance of the engines, complete with an old turntable.

There is enough to see there that you can easily spend a full day there and it's worth doing.

Yes it will be open for the show.

Have been There several times before it closed. Wish I could make it for the show this year.

So if you are in the area go to the show. My understanding it is an open show so all welcome

Check date for correct date.

-
Back