Want to stay stock with 13" tires, but can't get them

-

railgeek

Reaction score
Howdy,

I've got a '67 Valiant Signet that has some stock 13" rims. I am doing my best to keep this looking like a stock vehicle.
I'm lucky as the 13" tires are still holding up somehow, but they are far older than they should be. I know it's time to change them.
I've been looking for tires in the same size as what I have (185/80R13) but so far, I've been out of luck in finding tires in that size. I did try visiting the local Discount tire and chatted with them. They found some, but upon further investigation they were actually ice and snow type. That's all that they could find and they would have had to order them from another vendor. All that I've found so far online are trailer tires.
So, I guess that I will have to go to 14" rims which will do away with the original hubcaps that I have.
I'm pretty new at doing something like this, so I'm a bit puzzled.

If I can't get 13" tires to fit, I'd like to find 14" rims that either that might at least have Plymouth hubcaps. If not that, I guess that means custom rims and I would want to make sure that the new tires cleared the wheel wells. I'm not totally against custom wheels and I could go with those, but I'm trying to do my best to retain that "stock" look.

I remember that years ago, my dad put tried to put oversized 13" tires on this car and they were rubbing the fender well when the car was turned. So I know I've got to be careful.

Is there a good place that I can go to calculate and find tires and wheels that would fit into the same place? I know that I probably need to do some learning about all of this so if there is a good place online to learn about this, I'd also be happy to know that. Is there a place to find a 14" replacement that might have plymouth hubcaps and still fit?

Any advice or suggestions? Thanks!

Hercules Ironman brand made by Cooper GR906 175/70/R13. Any dealer that carries Cooper.
On line look up Priority Tire $55 each. Priority Tire has many brands and sizes in 13".

I buy 14's all the time.

They're on ebay for cryin' out loud.

RWL, too.

My sister is in the same boat with my moms 65 mustang 6 cyl.

She found some tire made in Finland (?) But available here.

When she replies to me I'll update.

Screenshot_20230818-170706.png

Screenshot_20230818-171741.png

Last edited:
Just bought 4 195/70/R14's for the wife's 95 Camry.

Some of yall must not have the same internet as everyone else, or yall just don't know how to look for stuff.
Buy Antique Tire Size 185\/80R13 - Performance Plus Tire
Looks like a good place to go, but they show to have less than four tires available in that size. Two models, one out of stock, and the other less than four.
Was the same type of issue that Discount tire had as well as the internet searches that I did. The good thing is that I knew you guys would have some go to places that I might not have found. So thanks for the link!

Coker tire
Yes, Coker was where Discount found the same size to use. They did find some Michelin models, however those seem to be ice and snow type tires. I was really looking for all season as we don't have much ice and snow where I'm at. :)
Thanks for the link.

Then go with a 185 70 13 and flip um blackwall. That's what I have on my car, but I like white letters so I have them out.

Many thanks to everyone so far!
I did check tires-easy, same issue is that they had a big selection in that size, but every one was a trailer tire.
The one at discount that Dana67Dart posted was a trailer tire, but the one at Summit might do it! I'll look into that one a bit closer as that would save me from having to switch.
Then go with a 185 70 13 and flip um blackwall. That's what I have on my car, but I like white letters so I have them out.
I'll look into that also and check to make sure that the additional width will clear when I turn. It's tight in those wheel wells.
Thanks a ton for the help! :thankyou:

Howdy,

I've got a '67 Valiant Signet that has some stock 13" rims. I am doing my best to keep this looking like a stock vehicle.
I'm lucky as the 13" tires are still holding up somehow, but they are far older than they should be. I know it's time to change them.
I've been looking for tires in the same size as what I have (185/80R13) but so far, I've been out of luck in finding tires in that size. I did try visiting the local Discount tire and chatted with them. They found some, but upon further investigation they were actually ice and snow type. That's all that they could find and they would have had to order them from another vendor. All that I've found so far online are trailer tires.
So, I guess that I will have to go to 14" rims which will do away with the original hubcaps that I have.
I'm pretty new at doing something like this, so I'm a bit puzzled.

If I can't get 13" tires to fit, I'd like to find 14" rims that either that might at least have Plymouth hubcaps. If not that, I guess that means custom rims and I would want to make sure that the new tires cleared the wheel wells. I'm not totally against custom wheels and I could go with those, but I'm trying to do my best to retain that "stock" look.

I remember that years ago, my dad put tried to put oversized 13" tires on this car and they were rubbing the fender well when the car was turned. So I know I've got to be careful.

Is there a good place that I can go to calculate and find tires and wheels that would fit into the same place? I know that I probably need to do some learning about all of this so if there is a good place online to learn about this, I'd also be happy to know that. Is there a place to find a 14" replacement that might have plymouth hubcaps and still fit?

Any advice or suggestions? Thanks!
And why are we even discussing 185 80 13s? Those are the WRONG size for your car anyway. The original size was 650/13, which equates to a 165 80 13. The 185 70 13 is only .2 of an inch shorter (same size in some brands) but gives you a wider footprint AND is available everywhere. You're just making things hard on yourself lookin for the WRONG THING!

-
Back