WARNING - AMD oil filler caps

-

str12-340

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Not for the first time, I left the oil fill cap on a 318 somewhere after topping off fluids and it disappeared. I shelled out the money to get a cap from AMD since this is a car shown in stock classes and I didn't want to fight getting paint to stick on a chrome cap. I got the cap (Jegs) and painted it to match the engine and when I went to put it on I twisted the cap in place and the part on the bottom with the ears came off from the rest of the cap. The only thing that kept me from being royally pissed was that I use a filler extension on this AC car to avoid spills and make things easier, otherwise it would have dropped right into the valve cover and ended up god knows where. Here are the pictures of this crappy product. AMD should be ashamed - can you imagine this happening while driving down the road??? Jegs, on the other hand, required just one phone call, no back pressure, no asking me to send the part back, didn't even ask me to send a picture, just refunded my money and apologized.

DSC03929.JPG
DSC03930.JPG
DSC03931.JPG

Bless this little Mopar do-dad that was installed on this 318 by a dealership mechanic in 1970 during its first oil change
IMG_1008.JPG

I thought AMD was pretty good stuff. Just goes to show, not all products are good. Looks like POOR assembly & QC problem. Probably made in CHINA too!

Since AMD doesn't make that kinda stuff, they're subjected to the same crappy parts we all are. Where do you think they're getting it? I don't have to tell you. You already know. I bet the only one you can find that's made in USA is going to be an NOS one on ebay. Other than that, China is your huckleberry. That's hardly AMD's fault. That said, thanks very much for the heads up.

It shouldnt matter where it's made, but unfortunately it does. BUT when a retailer sells AND PROFITS from that ****, AMD is just as responsible as the mfg.
Not AMD's fault is laughable:rofl:
Jackwagons
I've a set of front ws clips. $28 for 23 clips and they're wrong...lmao
I thought AMD was pretty good stuff. Just goes to show, not all products are good. Looks like POOR assembly & QC problem. Probably made in CHINA too!

Devil's advocate-

Have you considered that the aftermarket fill tube could be the cause rather than the cap?

Perhaps the "ears" that grab the tangs on the cap are shaped differently than the actual valve cover.

I had an aftermarket (AMD?) fuel cap do the same thing. At least it happened the first time I put it on so I could get it replaced.

That's hardly AMD's fault.
I don't agree. If the companies, that contract with the actual manufactures of the product, would hold them responsible, quality would improve. Back in the '70's-'80's I worked in a plant that made a product at the rate of over 300 per minute, per machine. Each and every item was inspected, both by people on an inspection line, and by machine(s). We would ship a truck load to the customer, and the customer would random inspect the items on their unloading dock, as the truck was unloaded. We were allowed 1 "major" defect, and/or 3 "minor" defects per truckload. If more were found the complete truck load was rejected. Our option was to either send inspectors to the customer, or have the entire load shipped back to our warehouse, and every single item was reinspected. If companies that contract to have parts made, would hold the manufactures accountable for defective products, this crap would stop. Why should the consumer be the final quality inspector?

Junk yard shopping, those extensions can be found on Vans/Trucks and as you stated work great.
Yes aftermarket caps are poor quality.Most all leak. OEM junkyard caps work the best.Just check for a good gasket on them.

I've had two Mr. Gasket caps do the same thing. I thought I lost the first cap or forgot to tighten it. The second cap fell apart the first time I tried to install it. I pulled the valve cover to remove the piece that fell in and found the piece from the first cap also! It was pretty mangled from the rocker arms.

I went and snagged a random one from a junkyard.

I don't agree. If the companies, that contract with the actual manufactures of the product, would hold them responsible, quality would improve. Back in the '70's-'80's I worked in a plant that made a product at the rate of over 300 per minute, per machine. Each and every item was inspected, both by people on an inspection line, and by machine(s). We would ship a truck load to the customer, and the customer would random inspect the items on their unloading dock, as the truck was unloaded. We were allowed 1 "major" defect, and/or 3 "minor" defects per truckload. If more were found the complete truck load was rejected. Our option was to either send inspectors to the customer, or have the entire load shipped back to our warehouse, and every single item was reinspected. companies that contract to have parts made, would hold the manufactures accountable for defective products, this crap would stop. Why should the consumer be the final quality inspector?
We shouldn't of course, but the industry is not easily changed, is it?

I'd bought a repro locking gas cap that fits under the flip-top for my Barracuda. I put it on, locked it & it promptly fell apart in my hands, leaving the key & lock in my hands and the rest in my fill tube. Took me the better part of an hour to get it back out.

Remember that one time, when you could go to the salvage yards and get parts with 250,000 miles on them that were still better than what you could get in a parts store?

That time was today.

Devil's advocate-

Have you considered that the aftermarket fill tube could be the cause rather than the cap?

Perhaps the "ears" that grab the tangs on the cap are shaped differently than the actual valve cover.

The extension is a Chrysler piece that has worked with a few stock caps over 50 years - try again

But then he couldn't get all the attention on an internet forum. Plus, his problem would be fixed.

Where did this **** come from? Just how would getting attention here do anything for me? I posted it here to help fellow FABO users from having an unnecessary failure. I thought better of you, Rusty...

The extension is a Chrysler piece that has worked with a few stock caps over 50 years - try again

Where did this **** come from? Just how would getting attention here do anything for me? I posted it here to help fellow FABO users from having an unnecessary failure. I thought better of you, Rusty...
I was pokin the stick dummy. Settle down.

I think the machine shop is in the Philippines, that's what I was told when I was needing a tail light panel for a Demon.

-
Back