Water in the transmission...

-

TylerW

Reaction score
Hey guys:

Curious if anyone has successfully recovered an automatic that has suffered rainwater migration. The lazy last owner of one of my vehicles left the hood off when the pulled the engine and about a gallon of water ended up in the pan.

This is the original matching trans, but I can move on and use my spare trans for now and deal with this another day if it's a boondoggle...what do you think?

SAM_0093.JPG

Doesnt water F the frictions up? Like make them swell and come apart?

Depends on how long the water sat in there. If only a week or so you should be fine. However, might take a couple fluid changes to get it all flushed out. Drain your converter too, that will help speed up the process.
I had a friend give me a couple 727's that sat outside for years full of water. I was really surprised at how many parts were salvagable in them. Valve bodys were trash and so were the pans, everything up higher survived ok.

If the trans was never ran or had the water flow through it, it should be salvageable. Remove the valve body and clean it well. Check for rust and pits that could allows fluid leaks.

Seems like it was run with water/coolant in fluid. Should not be emulsified (pink Pepto bizmo). Simple water intrusion would remain separate from oil. If run with water it is now in converter and will need to be addressed.

I wouldn't trust it. It needs to come apart in my opinion.

Check the end play then take it apart and check the fibers to see if you can peel the friction material off the plates. Reseal kits are cheap like $15 all external seals and gaskets except pan sometimes.

give it up guys, water like that it's a boat anchor !!!!!!! Rebuild time should be able to salvage all hard parts if you get after it soon or it will be a rusted block!!!
Lon

I fail to see how a gallon of water got into the tranny as even if it sits a few days the converter drains back and the oil is up the tube. If much water is in there I’d be suspicious. Kim

I had a 727/440 combo in a truck flood about 10 years ago. Silt almost to carb. Drained the trans, and then brought it in for a trans fluid flush. It worked fine. Had water in another 727, didn’t drain, except out on the barn floor, ffwd 7yrs or so, drained, blew out, and cleaned. No water when I cracked the pan, but it worked for about 20 mins before it forgot where reverse was and pissed about a gallon out the front sump.

I need you to contact me about the 73 Valiant you got!!! I’m located in Spring Hill, Tn. and I’m very interested in some parts. Text me at 386-466-5650

Thanks, Simpleman79

Many years ago I had a fri
Seems like it was run with water/coolant in fluid. Should not be emulsified (pink Pepto bizmo). Simple water intrusion would remain separate from oil. If run with water it is now in converter and will need to be addressed.
Many years ago I had a friend with a failed chev trans. It was brought to a trans shop for full overhaul. When he got the car back, it ran fine for about a week and the trans failed again. It was brought back to the same shop under warranty, the built it again and it lasted about a week.
As it turns out, the radiator was leaking antifreeze into the lower trans cooler and mixing together.
Apparently the glue that is used to bond the friction materials to the clutch plates dissolves with glycol. It is not the water, but the antifreeze that causes the problem. If it was just water it should be fine. If it was coolant I would change all the friction materials.

-
Back