Water Injection

-

Raul

Reaction score
I remember back in the late 70's, Water injection was used to relieve pinging (detonation) and you were able to advance the timing moreso on the higher compression engines.
I don't hear of water injection anymore; What happened to this idea as I remember it surely worked well and increased gas miledge a bit.

BMW M4 GTS uses it. That'e only production car I've seen that uses it, though
http://jalopnik.com/how-the-absurdly-expensive-bmw-m4-gts-water-injection-w-1760175847
Spearco Electronics used to make a very inexpensive unilt for under $125.00
I've used it before with success but only notice a small gain in acceleration and boost but the primary reason for the purchase was to get rid of the pinging which it did under heavy acceleration. But I don't see them in aftermarket use anymore. I bet E-Bay may have some. Thinking about finding another unit and adding it to my car in order to advance the timing a bit more and get a little more gain out of the engine

I have seen a factory Dodge police car ('70's model) with it, but it's more for the turbo junkies now.

There is cheap way do it using an aquarium air valve and an aereator stone. I will google around and see if I can find it.

sb

Lots of people in the Audi/VW scene run Devils Own water/meth kits and like them.

I sure wish I kept my old Spearco.....t worked really well from what I remember.....Can't even find one on EBAY :(

I remember back in the late 70's, Water injection was used to relieve pinging (detonation) and you were able to advance the timing moreso on the higher compression engines.
I don't hear of water injection anymore; What happened to this idea as I remember it surely worked well and increased gas miledge a bit.

These guys took the Spearco unit to the next level and beyond.
Gas Water-Methanol Injection Kits | Snow Performance

-
Back