Water pump 360

-

pjc360

Reaction score
I've got a 300hp crate 360 magnum in my 91 half ton short box 4x4 truck. It has the older la water pump and timing cover set up on it.
I crawled under it today to check something out and noticed a few drips of antifreeze on the bottom of the crank shaft pulley, so I started looking for where it was coming from.
I checked all my hoses and they are good, they are brand new gates hoses with less then 5000 miles on them. I found a stream of antifreeze on the bottom of the water pump. I got on top of the engine and felt around and I found where the antifreeze is coming, there is a little hole directly below where the fan bolts too on the water pump.
I have a used water pump that I pulled off of a 318 and I kept it because I figured I might need it some day, I am going to post a picture of where the water is coming from so I can show you guys, it looks to me the only way water could leak out of this hole is if the seal was bad where the little fan is on the inside of the water pump. So I'm thinking this hole is there to let you know when your seal has went out and to let you lnow it's time for a new water pump.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 190
So what kind of water pump should I get to replace mine? This is the stock water pump that came with the crate engine, the engine was bought in summer of 2002. So it lasted 13 years. Although the engine only has around 20-25k miles on it.
I don't have a/c and my radiator is a 26 inch 3 row copper radiator, except my radiator is pretty tired and leaks, I plan on replacing it some time this summer with a 3 row 26 inch aluminum radiator.
I run a 195 thermostat, and it's in a truck that I use a lot in the mountains to go hunting and fishing in and it's basically my daily driver. Should I just get a new stock replacement or a re-built stock replacement or a high flow water pump. And should I use a gasket on the water pump or high temp rtv?

If it were I, then a regular water pump and gasket would do. IF I can get a brand spankin new one at a reasonable cost, then that would be it for me.

So should I get a 6 blade pump or an 8 blade pump? I can get a brand new mopar 6 blade water pump for 70 dollars and I can get a brand water pump from my local Napa which is also a 6 blade for 40 dollars and it's made by tru-flow.
Which one would you get?

I put a 6 on my junker but wish i would have went 8, get the 8

Does the 8 blade water pump take more power to run? And does it cool the engine a lot better then a 6 blade? I see mopar recomends 6 blade pumps for iron head small blocks and 8 blade pumps for aluminum headed small blocks.
I guess I can pull the water pump and see if it's a 6 blade or an 8 blade pump.
I never had any over heating issues with the pump that's on it now, it's just leaking from that hole that I pointed out in the picture.

6 blade pumps are for AC cars.
8 blade pumps are for non AC cars.
You ask, how could that be ? Its because an AC car uses a smaller water pump pulley.
The smaller pulley turns more revolutions, than the standard pulley.
Since you dont have AC, and more than likely have a standard pulley, use the 8 blade pump.
As far as taking more power, I would say no.

-
Back