Wd-40

-

7demon2

Registered User #1824
Reaction score
I found this to be pretty intresting. i feel it is a tech item as we all use this stuff at one time or another. i am sure that there are other uses not listed here so feel free to add to them if you like. i make no claim that any of these work so don't look at me! original source ( http://tvmoparclub.com/tech-library/ )

WD-40

The product began from a search for a rust preventative solvent and degreaser to protect missile parts. WD-40 was created in 1953 by three technicians at the San Diego Rocket Chemical Company. Its name comes from the project that was to find a "water
displacement" compound. They were successful with the fortieth formulation, thus WD-40. The Corvair Company bought it in bulk to protect their atlas missile parts.
Ken East (one of the original founders) says there is nothing in WD-40 that would hurt you.
When you read the "shower door" part, try it. It's the first thing that has ever cleaned that spotty shower door. If yours is plastic, it works just as well as glass. It's a miracle! Then try it on your stovetop... Voila! It's now shinier than it's ever been. You'll be amazed.

Here are some of the uses:

1) Protects silver from tarnishing.

2) Removes road tar and grime from cars.

3) Cleans and lubricates guitar strings.

4) Gives floor’s that 'just-waxed' sheen without making it slippery.

5) Keeps flies off cows.

6) Restores and cleans chalkboards.

7) Removes lipstick stains.

8) Loosens stubborn zippers.

9) Untangles jewelry chains.

10) Removes stains from stainless steel sinks.

11) Removes dirt and grime from the barbecue grill.

12) Keeps ceramic/terra cotta garden pots from oxidizing.

13) Removes tomato stains from clothing.

14) Keeps glass shower doors free of water spots.

15) Camouflages scratches in ceramic and marble floors.

16) Keeps scissors working smoothly.

17) Lubricates noisy door hinges on vehicles and doors in homes

18) It removes black scuffmarks from the kitchen floor! Use WD-40 for those nasty tar and scuff
marks on flooring. It doesn't seem to harm the finish and you won't have to scrub nearly as
hard to get them off. Just remember to open some windows if you have a lot of marks.

19) Bug guts will eat away the finish on your car if not removed quickly! Use WD-40!

20) Gives a children's play gym slide a shine for a super fast slide.

21) Lubricates gear shift and mower deck lever for ease of handling on riding mowers.

22) Rids kids rocking chairs and swings of squeaky noises.

23) Lubricates tracks in sticking home windows and makes them easier to open.

24) Spraying an umbrella stem makes it easier to open and close.

25) Restores and cleans padded leather dashboards in vehicles, as well as vinyl bumpers.

26) Restores and cleans roof racks on vehicles.

27) Lubricates and stops squeaks in electric fans.

28) Lubricates wheel sprockets on tricycles, wagons, and bicycles for easy handling.

29) Lubricates fan belts on washers and dryers and keeps them running smoothly.

30) Keeps rust from forming on saws and saw blades, and other tools.

31) Removes splattered grease on stove.

32) Keeps bathroom mirror from fogging.

33) Lubricates prosthetic limbs.

34) Keeps pigeons off the balcony (they hate the smell).

35) Removes all traces of duct tape.

36) Folks even spray it on their arms, hands, and knees to relieve arthritis pain.

37) Florida's favorite use is: "cleans and removes love bugs from grills and bumpers."

38) The favorite use in the state of New York WD-40 protects the Statue of Liberty from the
elements.

39) WD-40 attracts fish. Spray a LITTLE on live bait or lures and you will be catching the big
one in no time. Also, it's a lot cheaper than the chemical attractants that are made for just
that purpose. Keep in mind though, using some chemical laced baits or lures for fishing are
not allowed in some states.

40) Use it for fire ant bites. It takes the sting away immediately and stops the itch.

41) WD-40 is great for removing crayon from walls. Spray on the mark and wipe with a clean
rag.

42) Also, if you've discovered that your teenage daughter has washed and dried a tube of lipstick
with a load of laundry, saturate the lipstick spots with WD-40 and re-wash. Presto! Lipstick
is gone!

43) If you sprayed WD-40 on the distributor cap, it would displace the moisture and allow the
car to start.

P. S. The basic ingredient is FISH OIL.

P. P. S. I keep a can of WD-40 in my kitchen cabinet over the stove. It is good for oven burns or any other type of burn. It takes the burned feeling away and heals with NO scarring.

i debated adding this but i guess it would be worth a try if you were in this situation. this is what was written and again i make no claims to the fact that it works.......

I had a neighbor who had bought a new pickup. I got up very early one Sunday morning and saw that someone had spray painted red all around the sides of this beige truck (for some unknown reason). I went over, woke him up, and told him the bad news. He was very upset and was trying to figure out what to do probably nothing until Monday morning, since nothing was open. Another neighbor came out and told him to get his WD-40 and clean it off. It removed the unwanted paint beautifully and did not harm his paint job that was on the truck. I'm impressed!

I can vouch for 2, 17, 19, 30, and 43 as far as using WD-40 in the garage. I didn't know the background of it. Just know that it works on most everything.
Oh, by the way, I believe it's 'Convair' not 'Corvair'

the best thing it helped me with was i went to a concret plant with my new peterbult and got concret dust all over it WD-40 took it off.

What??? Nobody has ever used WD-40 to shoot down pesky mosquitos or other flying insects that you have trouble swatting? It actually works on crawling bugs too.

I use it to kill the bullthistles in the yard. Turns them black in a couple hours including the surrounding area. Better than Roundup or any weed killer product I used.

John

We use WD-40 where I work but mostly as a solvent. It works great for cleaning up hydraulic fuild messes around servos and spills, also great at cleaning up most if not all tape residues.

I use it to remove concrete/stucco from windows on my jobs. Spray on concrete, let penetrate and wipe with wet cloth. No scratching of glass.

I just use it on the front of my stainless steel fridge. It now looks like new. Stainless polish wouldn't touch the hard water stains. I have used it for years as a grease and glue cleaner.

I mix it with degreaser to clean engine blocks. Small moving parts like door hinges can benifit, but I don't use it on things like bicycicle or motorcycle chains as it will attract dust which wears them out. If you have the coil type springs above your garage door that wind use motorcycle chain oil on them to stop binding or squeaking. I use it for other stuff too, because it it doesn't attract much dust. I just go to Harley-Davidson for it.

The theory for #39 seems sound. I know that the most effective bait for catching lobsters happens to be a common red brick soaked in kerosene.

The theory for #39 seems sound. I know that the most effective bait for catching lobsters happens to be a common red brick soaked in kerosene.

True on 39, years ago I went fishing with a guy I worked with. He saw me spraying some wd around my tacklebox and said "dude your not gonna catch anything now with that all over your stuff" well I proceded to land some nice keeper Redfish and released a couple Bull Reds. Which was more then he landed. He could not believe it.

I made the mistake once of spraying a little WD-40 on the signal light switch under my steering wheel. It acted just like spraying it on a distributor cap to prevent stray sparking...The contacts wouldn't conduct electricity. I had to take it all apart, wash in gasoline and replace to make it work.

Two stroke engines, chain saw's and weed eater's Spay it in the carp to check ignition:cheers:
Fires right up if the ignition is good, If it don't then the ignition is the problem 8) or low compression

after you use steel wool try spraying it down with wd-40 and it won't turn to rust on you!

I just use it on the front of my stainless steel fridge. It now looks like new. Stainless polish wouldn't touch the hard water stains. I have used it for years as a grease and glue cleaner.
I install bank equipment, ( Vault doors, Safe Deposit Boxes etc.) Most of the vault doors and S/D boxes are made from mild steel or wrapped with stainless steel. If you use WD-40 on stainless, after time it will give it a yellow tint. If you use stainless polish on mild steel it rusts, because of the water in the stainless polish. DON'T TELL ANYONE, I do use WD-40 on stainless just before we turn the equipment over to the bank, because it does give it the best shine possible. I never tell anyone from the bank to use WD-40 on their vault door or S/D boxes. Always use stainless polish. When we go back and do maintance on the door, I sneak a quick wipe with WD-40 so it will look new again. WD-40 is great on stainless once in while. but not as a everyday polish, unless you like a yellow tint.

Been using WD 40 for 35 years at work.Stricktly as a cleaner /degreaser.It has very limited lubricating qualities IMO.We use a teflon based lubricant.I believe if you read the can it does not say lubricant anywhere on it.We have some manufacturers that will void their warranty if they find you have been lubricating their product with WD. It says it will lubricate many things but spraying liquid of most types will lubricate for a short time.
On the other hand it does clean exceptionally well.Stainless,aluminum,regular steel,plastic,brass,these are the things I run into mostly.If I happen to run out of lube then I will use it.8) Sorry to dredge up an old thread,lol.:-D

one thing I've found it's good for also is getting tree sap off of a windshield. Just make sure you clean it with window cleaner afterwards.

Damn i use it for washing my mouth every morning and no cavities so far!
:bootysha::bootysha::bootysha::bootysha::bootysha::cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers:

I can't speak for most of those uses, but if you're using WD for what most do, ie lubing hinges or freeing rusty bolts, you're wasting your time. Get some PB'laster instead.

-
Back