Weiand Stealth 8022 - bad ports, can it be fixed or should I send back?

-
How many times will you have to send back till you get one you can just bolt straight on? Shipping Back and forth is time and possibly $$$ if you pay for additional shipping, porting it is $$$ and time. Just lay a gasket on it, and open the windows up and then blend in as far as you can into the ports. Expect to do that on any new Weiand, Action+ included. Or if you truly want something ready to bolt on just scrounge up a little bit more coin and get an Air Gap and slap it on out of the box. Because you can with those, Weiands you can too but you’d be better off finishing up what they don’t. I’d be hitting it with the grinder

Take it back and get an Edelbrock
My buddy bought the same one last summer for a LA and it was even worse two bolt holes were horrible , obviously they must be imported now .

Take it back and get an Edelbrock
My buddy bought the same one last summer for a LA and it was even worse two bolt holes were horrible , obviously they must be imported now .
They must be imported as you say, an Action+ I bought 4 yrs ago was pretty nice and uniform, packaging touted made in USA. I just opened up the windows and tapered into the runners. Referring to the two questions the OP initially asked: Can it be fixed? Sure. Could just be any old typical day spent with a grinder opening and straightening things out as some have shown here on other intakes or it could be a major undertaking to get it right or one might end up breaking through a runner. Send it back? For many absolutely. Why bother, unless you just gotta have a Weiand. Maybe it’ll end up on a Jegs “seconds and irregulars” blowout sale, then it might be worth trying to make it right!:rolleyes:

They must be imported as you say, an Action+ I bought 4 yrs ago was pretty nice and uniform, packaging touted made in USA. I just opened up the windows and tapered into the runners. Referring to the two questions the OP initially asked: Can it be fixed? Sure. Could just be any old typical day spent with a grinder opening and straightening things out as some have shown here on other intakes or it could be a major undertaking to get it right or one might end up breaking through a runner. Send it back? For many absolutely. Why bother, unless you just gotta have a Weiand. Maybe it’ll end up on a Jegs “seconds and irregulars” blowout sale, then it might be worth trying to make it right!:rolleyes:

Well said !!!
Its also nice finding older US made intakes at shows for good prices because quality control sucks today its a shame we even discuss this today.

I picked up a Weiand Stealth 8022, and it has really bad port windows as shown in my images. My question is, is this indicative of bad ports all the way through or is it just needing the port windows to be gasket matched? I am curious if that is something that will affect the entire runner from those who have seen this before.

Should I just send it back? I ordered it through Jegs.

View attachment 1715734826

View attachment 1715734828

View attachment 1715734831

View attachment 1715734821

View attachment 1715734823

View attachment 1715734825

View attachment 1715734830

if you are not in a hurry call [OFFY] tomorrow and see what they have in stock they still make um right in CA the old school way and they have beautiful workmanship .

I wouldn't expect a replacement weiand to be much better, i would return it for an edelbrock rpm too.
But everybody is capable of bad work. This is a late production edelbrock six pack manifold, the core shift and port windows are horrible.

View attachment 1715735327

View attachment 1715735329

View attachment 1715735330

Thats horrible seeing any Edelbrock product not meet the basic standards it was designed for !!!
I guess since Vic is gone so is the old standards.

if you are not in a hurry call [OFFY] tomorrow and see what they have in stock they still make um right in CA the old school way and they have beautiful workmanship .
Thank you for the suggestions, but I ordered an Airgap.

I put an Action Plus on the 351M in my F250 about 7 years ago. It was so perfect, I wanted to mount it on the wall. Sorry to see they are going junk now. Weiand used to be the chit. That's why I said get a vintage one. The vintage Offenhausers are fantastic......but not cheap. I have an NOS PortOSonic for a 4V 351C engine and it's just flat out a work of art.

Thats horrible seeing any Edelbrock product not meet the basic standards it was designed for !!!
I guess since Vic is gone so is the old standards.

The Edelbrocks sold the company some years ago. None of them have a thing to do with it anymore. It wouldn't surprise me one bit to discover they are made overseas now. I've suspected as much for years.

Still cast in USA, but I cant confirm state as CA has 3 Edel foundries. Only one does this older sand cast stuff. their new stuff is permanent mold when it can be used. I wrote this back in Aug of '20. I had the 2 on the same bench at one time, still looking for the pics but the difference was obvious. Edel isn't any better and this was before he passed....
"..And I've held both Air-gap and Crosswind intakes at the same time and compared the fit and finish. The Crosswind was hands down the winner. Laser straight port walls, no core shift. Holes were cleanly tapped. I had to polished knockoff version so I can't comment on the texture, but I could tell the plenum volume was less on the crosswind, slightly shorter. The complaint I hear on the crosswind is that the flange angle has been machined at the wrong angle(!). Now that's a pretty hefty mistake (maybe be a one off that got through and the internet jumped on it like the glued together prototype turbo housing that got sold) and can be mistaken by poor head milling but since I never installed the crosswind, I cant comment on that but I did lay it down on an LA and there were no gaps. The Crosswind does not use all sand cast cores as Edelbrock does, they use steel molds at the flanges so there is no core shift.."

Still cast in USA, but I cant confirm state as CA has 3 Edel foundries. Only one does this older sand cast stuff. their new stuff is permanent mold when it can be used. I wrote this back in Aug of '20. I had the 2 on the same bench at one time, still looking for the pics but the difference was obvious. Edel isn't any better and this was before he passed....
"..And I've held both Air-gap and Crosswind intakes at the same time and compared the fit and finish. The Crosswind was hands down the winner. Laser straight port walls, no core shift. Holes were cleanly tapped. I had to polished knockoff version so I can't comment on the texture, but I could tell the plenum volume was less on the crosswind, slightly shorter. The complaint I hear on the crosswind is that the flange angle has been machined at the wrong angle(!). Now that's a pretty hefty mistake (maybe be a one off that got through and the internet jumped on it like the glued together prototype turbo housing that got sold) and can be mistaken by poor head milling but since I never installed the crosswind, I cant comment on that but I did lay it down on an LA and there were no gaps. The Crosswind does not use all sand cast cores as Edelbrock does, they use steel molds at the flanges so there is no core shift.."

You caint prove it by me.

I think someone of forum posted that Edelbrock was building a new facility in Mississippi so they could get out of CA.

After Vic passed on, Cammie sold out, took the money & ran. That's been the way of the corporate world for a good while. The US has been sold off to foreign concerns & no one has been able to do a damned thing about it. The little guys don't matter any more because they don't have the financial backing to be competitive with the mega bucks corporations, here & over seas.

After Vic passed on, Cammie sold out, took the money & ran. That's been the way of the corporate world for a good while. The US has been sold off to foreign concerns & no one has been able to do a damned thing about it. The little guys don't matter any more because they don't have the financial backing to be competitive with the mega bucks corporations, here & over seas.
That really sucks !!!
Nothing is sacred anymore
Jack Daniels
Bud
Miller

Etc etc
They all sale out it appears

Offy
Is the Last US name brand intake supplier thats
Not dedicated to full race industry !!!

We should start supporting them more

I have one that I bought last year and its a work of art compared to the garbage we are forced to pay top dollar for today

Screenshot_2020-09-05-18-22-26.jpg

Thread resurrection!:thumbsup:
We’re cleaning up the Weiand Action Plus intake bought from Summit in 2017 in preparation for engine assembly and got to looking at casting markings, recalling this post about the horrible casting of the Weiand the OP received and noticed the one I have has the well known BB logo on the underside. Looking at he OP’s pictures I see on the underside what looks like the same BB logo in the same location as the one I have. That pretty much means it was cast/made in the USA you would assume right? Or are the Chicoms replicating the BB marking as well??

Mine:
0813DEAC-CE94-46F3-BCAB-4C2AE4F6CB01.jpeg

OP:
7F03B0E0-7040-4B6F-B4B3-8660B97B7BCA.png

first and only crosswind I bought for my 406sbc ,the dist. hole was so far of , it knocked the gears out , replaced w/ an edelbrock victor , good to go . But that was about 30-? yrs ago when crosswinds were fairly new .The victor on my 505 with cnc standard ports is/was the closest to being port perfect I have seen , but have seen some edelbrocks that sucked too !

The Super Victor I have could not have lined up with the head ports better if you had ported them by hand. I was quite amazed they were this good. Now the heads are Eddy RPM's so maybe that's why? And with the Super Victor, you can look right down the plenum opening and see the ports directly.. Dunno...just happy how the aligned!

-
Back