Well, look what we have here!

-
Ramm bored and HONED my engine and the rings sealed instantly so I know first hand he can hone a cylinder .

Well my gapless ring experiment ended up as an oil burning POS that I will be re-ringing this fall.....must be no one in Canada who can do a hone job!

Well my gapless ring experiment ended up as an oil burning POS that I will be re-ringing this fall.....must be no one in Canada who can do a hone job!

Nah, I already gave the answer. I'll whisper it--it's the rings , not the hone job. J.Rob

Nah, I already gave the answer. I'll whisper it--it's the rings , not the hone job. J.Rob
Of course it's the rings...even the guy who put them in my 340 said he has used lots of sets of them ...but always in 1/4 mile race engines where they might see 20 miles in a season. Mine was the first set that he put in a street car, and he won't be using them again in anything that will see street use...he spent Drag Week with me pouring oil into the engine so he learned his lesson!

Of course it's the rings...even the guy who put them in my 340 said he has used lots of sets of them ...but always in 1/4 mile race engines where they might see 20 miles in a season. Mine was the first set that he put in a street car, and he won't be using them again in anything that will see street use...he spent Drag Week with me pouring oil into the engine so he learned his lesson!

I use them in my street car. Sold many, many engines for the street with them. The first engine I used and TESTED them on was a 400 Chevy that had a huge amount of blow by. We MEASURED the blow by on the dyno. Then just installed the gapless top rings. Reduced the MEASURED blow by by a ton.

That engine is still running today, stil NOT using oil. Your boy can't hone a cylinder. Face it.

Would you buy heads without the flow sheets. The rest of the paper work went with the car.

All the flow sheets I had went with the bench. The guy was just starting out. Why not help him?

Hate to break it to you--blowby is not a real good indicator of oil consumption. Real world driving is--oh yeah forgot you don't have anything with your favourite rings to drive in the real world. J.Rob

No, but it's a MEASUREABLE factor. It's one piece of the puzzle. Never had a single customer bring back an oil user. Not one.

Do you want me to post some pictures of my plugs? Then you can tell me how much oil my engine uses?

BTW, have you EVER measured blow by on a running, loaded engine? Of course not. It's a damn good indication of ring seal. It's called testing.

BTW, have you EVER measured blow by on a running, loaded engine? Of course not. It's a damn good indication of ring seal. It's called testing.

Gapless tops seal fine under load as do ALL rings--its under high vacuum decel that they lose their ability to seal. Doubtful you can comprehend what I just wrote. You should just get out there and drive your masterpiece and see for yourself. J.Rob

The place that did my block has been doing engine builds for 50 years... including the engine that won Drag Week in 2017, I’m pretty sure they know what they are doing ... but give me your name and number and I’ll get them to call you so you can tell them how to hone my block when we re-ring it.

I don't work for free. Just because you've done something along time doesn't mean you know how to do it. It's 1986. If you can't get ANY ring to seal its the goof ball running the hone.

I don't work for free. Just because you've done something along time doesn't mean you know how to do it. It's 1986.WTF does this mean? It's 1986? If you can't get ANY ring to seal its the goof ball running the hone.

J.Rob

Nope. My next engine is going to be my W-2 deal and then I'm done. I guess I could have taken pictures of the engine on the stand, but like I said. I don't do pictures.

Do it, even a picture of an engine on a stand is something tangible from you. Baby steps. J.Rob

I see that we have been moderated. it looks like we are betting a dead horse. I guess my only question would be if he does not have time to take pictures to prove his work, why dose he spend all this time replying to all the threads?

I see that we have been moderated. it looks like we are betting a dead horse. I guess my only question would be if he does not have time to take pictures to prove his work, why dose he spend all this time replying to all the threads?

Glad you noticed his obvious dichotomy. J.Rob

Just because you've done something along time doesn't mean you know how to do it. It's 1986.
WTF does 1986 have to do with anything?
Well, since you brought the year up.....
Nope. My next engine is going to be my W-2 deal and then I'm done. I guess I could have taken pictures of the engine on the stand, but like I said. I don't do pictures.
It’s not 1986!
Pictures are still easy to take and simple to put up on the net.
Figure it out or get a teenager!
Do it, even a picture of an engine on a stand is something tangible from you. Baby steps. J.Rob
LMAO! You want proof from a toad that he is a prince?
Glad you noticed his obvious dichotomy. J.Rob
Ditto, ditto, ditto....

Musta been a bad hone job, or cyl`s out of round , or tapered. I have always had great results w/ gapless rings on a rehone. Not that I`m a professional engine builder or anything, I`m not.

Well, what performance level engine would these heads work on? They look nicer than the Edelbrocks and trick flow has a good rep.

Musta been a bad hone job, or cyl`s out of round , or tapered. I have always had great results w/ gapless rings on a rehone. Not that I`m a professional engine builder or anything, I`m not.
Musta been the rings cause all those other things are perfect, and I will post pictures of the bore and cylinder measurements when I tear it down.... not make claims that I have built 100s of engines with them and never had a problem.
This “phenomenon”with these rings is not even unique, now that I have started talking to other guys local about them ... guess what...others that have used them noticed high oil consumption as well.
Your results may vary but that’s my first hand experience with them.

**** FYI this is my last post on the topic of gap less rings until I get around to tearing that engine down... I’m not wasting my life discussing these rings or if the earth is flat on the internet ****

Last edited:

I'd bet the cylinders were perfect. Seems like the better the cylinders the better that top ring pulls oil up. The trick is probably poorly honed cylinders with OOR and TAPER so the ring DOESN'T seal perfectly. This explains YR's incredible success rate with them. J.Rob

I don’t know, poking YR is funny.
He loves talking down to people, make vague references, and then tell people, figure it out.

Such a joyous help he is.

Well, what performance level engine would these heads work on? They look nicer than the Edelbrocks and trick flow has a good rep.
What Heads? I thought this thread was about rings and cylinder honing. I'm confused, must be the heat!

-
Back