What’s your favorite carb for a 360?

-
we put one a 440, and it ran great with minimal work.

I bet. 750? Pretty cool design, similar to a 71 340 TQ except not a spread bore. All the jets and stuff are in the top. There are no leak points on the bowl, no primary wells.

If you have a manual trans, with street gears;
like 3.73s or less; when you whack it open, at low speed/rpm;
you are going from say 200 cfm thru the front two barrels,so 100 cfm apiece, to still 200,or less, thru all 4 throttle bores now, so 50cfm apiece. And so the airspeed tanks.
You will need a big pumpshot to cover that transition.
I have tried 4 carbs on my 11/1-367 m/t car.Lest you think me rich,lol, I have accumulated those 4, in trades, over the decades
a 600 (1850) V-sec
a 780 V-sec
A 750DP,and
an 850 Carter-rated TQ.

600s are for wussy engines.
the 780 did things to me I cannot speak of
The TQ was pretty good, no real complaints.
But on the Airgap intake, the 750DP is the way to go. When you whack it open,
the twin pumps, slightly staged, are dynomite.
>No matter how far you whack it open, you will get the same results every time.
>And if you need a little more or a little less, you just let your right foot make the call, the throttles always follow your foot. If you spin out, it's your fault; own it! You can't blame the the secondary airvalve.
> and if you want to show off, just whack it open for instant tiresmoke, no waiting, no plowing, no stinking airvalve hocus-pokus.
> in the middle of a turn you realize that you came in a lil hot; yur gonna need to back out a lil, but still want to power thru it; whaddya do? Simple, back out and straight back on it, the throttles will follow your foot. No wonky airvalve action.
So, IMO, you can't beat a DP carb for this combo.
As to size; I can't say, the 750 seems to be adequate. And seems not to be too big either. My 367HO never hesitates no matter when I whack it, she is g-o-n-e................... But she gets terrible fuel economy,lol.

I think there's a lot to be said for the Holley Street Demon. It's relatively inexpensive and works very much like an Edelbrock with probably a little better throttle response and probably a little better acceleration..

You need a pair on your tunnel ram.

I bet. 750? Pretty cool design, similar to a 71 340 TQ except not a spread bore. All the jets and stuff are in the top. There are no leak points on the bowl, no primary wells.

That is what i suspected when I looked at the pics and drawings. The primary booster outlet size and the drawings look to indicate it is using emulsion so that to me would be a step back compared to the later solid fuel metering TQ's

I would like to get one in my hands to confirm that or better yet just convert one to solid metering myself.

Install a vacuum gauge and see what it reads on a full throttle run to see if there's room for gain.

At what vacuum reading would you say there is room for gain and at what reading would you say it is maxed out?

That is what i suspected when I looked at the pics and drawings. The primary booster outlet size and the drawings look to indicate it is using emulsion so that to me would be a step back compared to the later solid fuel metering TQ's

I would like to get one in my hands to confirm that or better yet just convert one to solid metering myself.

They say solid fuel is better and Chrysler went that way, but I ran a 71 340 TQ for years. That would be the last carb I'd let go of. I'd try one before I tried to change the function of a carb.

When u stand on it the vacuum will go to zero, then start building. I think the general rule is up to 1 1/2 max. Anymore and ur engine wants more carb. I could be wrong. I forgot nore than i know now. Lol. Kim

-
Back