What are some of you favorite bands?

-
I'll show my age but it doesn't matter,in order of preference:

Beatles
Led Zeppelin
Pink Floyd
AC/DC
and a whole pile after that. Listening to the beatles reminds me of my first heartthrob,she was 13,lol.

I saw Slayer a few years ago with Judas Priest. Not a big fan though

Jimi Hendrix , Muddy Waters, Johnny Winters, ZZ Top, Beastie Boys, Molly Hatchett, Zeppelin, Foghat, J Giles Band, BB King, Skynnrd, Stevie Ray Vaughn, Elvis, Delbert McClinton, Roy Orbison, Conway Twitty, George Jones, AC/DC. Tons more!!

I go through phases where I have a favorite band for a couple weeks or a month. The latest is a band called Barefoot Servants. They`re a blues rock band that features Jon Butcher and Lee Sklar. I`ve got their first album and it`s chocked full of great slide guitar and tasty blues rock guitar licks. They only have two albums which are years apart but they are rockin'.

I must be getting really old. I ain't ever heard of a lot of them bands on most of those lists. Here's mine.

Lynyrd Skynyrd
Bad Company
April Wine
Foghat
Eagles
Molly Hatchet
Beatles
Zep
and many more.

Newer stuff? Not so much.

Montgomery/Gentry
Brooks and Dunn
Miranda Lambert
Gretchen Wilson
Big and Rich.
Jason Aldean.

Rock sorta lost me a few years back. Don't get me wrong, I still like it but there's not much new stuff that turns my crank. All the new bands seem to sound the same. I only get 3 radio stations here and one is called easy rock (and it sucks in a big way), the other is Sun FM which is a mix of hip hop, pop, and Britney Spears type crap. If you listen long enough you might hear a good rock tune but I've never been able to endure the crap long enough to do so. That's when I started listening to the local country station 100.7 Giant FM. I guess a became a country fan since then. I never cared much for the old stuff but I do like "New Country". A lot of killer stuff coming outa the music mafia these days. ;)

The last shop I worked in I was forced to work next to a 20something kid who had it tuned into the "modern" rock station. It just reinforced my idea that rock stopped being rock around 1986 or so. With the exception of 3 Doors Down and Nickleback all they played was the Britney Spears/Rhianna type crap. Kept telling the kid that it takes a musical instrument to make music so that crap didn't qualify. This radio station was so bad that they had an hour long playlist. When the hour switched it was back to the beginning. I counted the same song played nine times one day. I feel your pain...

I'm gonna throw mine out there:

anything with a screamin' guitar (like Clapton says in "Rock and Roll Heart")
Van Hagar
Skynard
Mettalica
Thousand Foot Krutch
Kutlass
Clapton
Alan Jackson
the Stones

mix in a few good country songs, throw in some oldies like the Beach Boys and Ricky Nelson and I've got quite the ecclectic playlist on the computer.

Just saw Sting last night (awesome..), others: Billy Joel, Judas Priest, Brad Paisley, Michael Jackson, Doobie Brothers, CDB, CCR, The Ramones, Misc 80s hair bands..., Garth Brooks, Celtic women, Vivaldi, Kid Rock, Ozzy, Black Label Society... Pretty much anything that toushes me I like. We have a great local rock station that is non corporate and plays everything. They just had a local band weekend where they played a ton of new music from locals. WCCC.com

Buddy Holly and the Crickets.:-D

I think Clapton get's off on 57 Chevys as well ramenth. :toothy10:

:toothy10: Check out the avatar...lol. After spending so much time on one to make a heap a six digit car, so do I nowadays....

The last shop I worked in I was forced to work next to a 20something kid who had it tuned into the "modern" rock station. It just reinforced my idea that rock stopped being rock around 1986 or so. With the exception of 3 Doors Down and Nickleback all they played was the Britney Spears/Rhianna type crap. Kept telling the kid that it takes a musical instrument to make music so that crap didn't qualify. This radio station was so bad that they had an hour long playlist. When the hour switched it was back to the beginning. I counted the same song played nine times one day. I feel your pain...

I thought the EXACT same thing back in my classic rock days but the really good new music you will NOT find on the radio. Nowadays radio stations play only what will make the most people listen or whoever pays the most to have their song on the radio. The new upstart bands that like to make good and interesting music just for the heck of it are the ones that you only hear of by word of mouth. Kind of sad if you ask me, but there is some really cool brand-new music out there if you look for it.

Anybody ever heard of The Shins? Here's a song that is hard to dislike.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OkITsv3Nk6M

Another "rock"-oriented but very chill band, Rogue Wave

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p6sSLg014FQ

And these guys are totally "out there"; definitely a bit weird if you've never heard them before but they're so unique and fun-packed that they grew on me very quickly. BTW try not to pay too much attention to the video, it'll definitely throw you off.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HBfgQvM7wtE

I thought the EXACT same thing back in my classic rock days but the really good new music you will NOT find on the radio. Nowadays radio stations play only what will make the most people listen or whoever pays the most to have their song on the radio. The new upstart bands that like to make good and interesting music just for the heck of it are the ones that you only hear of by word of mouth. Kind of sad if you ask me, but there is some really cool brand-new music out there if you look for it.

A lot of the music I listen to when it's just me and no one else doesn't get radio play, not in my area. Kutlass? Thousand Foot Krutch? Michael Tait? Forget about it. These are Christian rock bands, with TFK being on the more edge of heavy and Michael Tait being all the way over. The Christian station we have around here is family oriented, meaning more Casting Crowns (good band), Mercy Me, etc. But if I'm working in a shop with a bunch of other guys we tend to agree on a classic rock station. Seems that everyone can get along to Skynard, Zeplin, etc.

A lot of the music I listen to when it's just me and no one else doesn't get radio play, not in my area. Kutlass? Thousand Foot Krutch? Michael Tait? Forget about it. These are Christian rock bands, with TFK being on the more edge of heavy and Michael Tait being all the way over. The Christian station we have around here is family oriented, meaning more Casting Crowns (good band), Mercy Me, etc. But if I'm working in a shop with a bunch of other guys we tend to agree on a classic rock station. Seems that everyone can get along to Skynard, Zeplin, etc.

Yeah, I mean if I have to listen to the radio I'll put on a classic rock station but I've listened to classic rock radio so damn much that I can't enjoy it anymore.

Yeah, I mean if I have to listen to the radio I'll put on a classic rock station but I've listened to classic rock radio so damn much that I can't enjoy it anymore.

I guess it means that one of these days I'll have to come out of the stone age and buy an MP3 player...

Am I the only one that listens to mostly Hip Hop?

Atmosphere
Aesop Rock
Adeem

Del The Funky Homosapien
Odious
Greyskull
POS
Mars Ill
Eyedea and Abilities
Odd Thomas

I also like some not so Hip Hop

Green Day
Relient K
The Doors
Living End
Jimi Hendrix
Nirvana
Muddy Waters
Eric Clapton
Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers
BB King
AudioSlave
CCR

Kind of an eclectic mix here

Atmosphere
Aesop Rock
Adeem

Del The Funky Homosapien
Odious
Greyskull
POS
Mars Ill
Eyedea and Abilities
Odd Thomas

I also like some not so Hip Hop

Green Day
Relient K
The Doors
Living End
Jimi Hendrix
Nirvana
Muddy Waters
Eric Clapton
Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers
BB King
AudioSlave
CCR

Kind of an eclectic mix here

Depends. Every once in a while I'll get in the mood to pop in the stuff I listened to as a kid: NWA, Public Enemy, BDP, not hip hop, but gangsta s***. Drives the wife nuts, makes the neighbor's kids think I'm cool, and has my niece doing double takes that Uncle Robert used to listen to something like that! LOL

Black Sabbath, Beastie Boys, Lynyrd Skynyrd, The White Stripes, Suicidal Tendencies, System Of A Down, Static-X, The Killers, Rob Zombie, Kittie, Ozzy Osbourne, Killswitch Engage, Megadeth, Guns N' Roses, Sepultura, Disturbed, Skid Row, The Offspring, Faith No More, Iron Maiden, Buckcherry, Metallica, Jet, Staind, Megadeth,, Soulfly, Hatebreed, Damageplan, Josh Todd, Pantera, God Smack, The Cult, Tool, Anthrax, Testament, Brides of Destruction, Chevelle, Emmure, Shinedown, Rage against the machine, System of a Down, Fly Leaf, MudVayne, From Autam to Ashes, Days of the New, Finger Eleven, Damage Plan, White Zombie, Guano Apes,

To name a few

The Count Basie Band
Les Brown and his Band of Reknown
Woody Herman's Third Herd
Ted Heath
Pierce/Capps Juggernaut
Al Boletto Sextet
North Texas State's one-o'clock lab band
Russ Morgan
Francy Boland Big Band
Maynard Ferguson's Big Band
Steely Dan
Honorable mention: LITTLE FEAT

Sounds from the fifties, sixties, seventies and eighties.... except for Steely Dan, who keep on keepin' on, even today!:cheers:

Anybody ever heard of The Shins? Here's a song that is hard to dislike.

Another "rock"-oriented but very chill band, Rogue Wave

And these guys are totally "out there"; definitely a bit weird if you've never heard them before but they're so unique and fun-packed that they grew on me very quickly. BTW try not to pay too much attention to the video, it'll definitely throw you off.

Rogue Wave is awesome. Most people I know haven't even heard of them..I'm like come on, you've gotta get away from those pop stations. LOL
"Lake Michigan" is the song that got me started on them.

I like Kutlass, but I really dig TFK. There's a lot of the contemporary Christian rock bands I like. I'm cool with a positive message, but honestly, I don't want to listen to someone cramming their beliefs down my throat when I'm listening to my music. So, for a while there I wasn't too into the Christian rock, but the newer stuff generally has a good balance. I don't know if you've listened to any of their stuff, but you'd probably like Skillet, too.

I'm kinda picky about my hip hop/rap. I love some of it, but some of it is total crap. It seems to kinda go through phases. For a few years, there'll be a lot of rappers that are really good at what they do, and I can listen to them all day long...then it seems to drop off, and every rapper sounds like they must have just fell face first onto the sidewalk right before they got in the studio.

Black Sabbath, Beastie Boys, Lynyrd Skynyrd, The White Stripes, Suicidal Tendencies, System Of A Down, Static-X, The Killers, Rob Zombie, Kittie, Ozzy Osbourne, Killswitch Engage, Megadeth, Guns N' Roses, Sepultura, Disturbed, Skid Row, The Offspring, Faith No More, Iron Maiden, Buckcherry, Metallica, Jet, Staind, Megadeth,, Soulfly, Hatebreed, Damageplan, Josh Todd, Pantera, God Smack, The Cult, Tool, Anthrax, Testament, Brides of Destruction, Chevelle, Emmure, Shinedown, Rage against the machine, System of a Down, Fly Leaf, MudVayne, From Autam to Ashes, Days of the New, Finger Eleven, Damage Plan, White Zombie, Guano Apes,

To name a few
Josh Todd? What? Someone who knows Josh Todd had non-Buckcherry projects? I don't see that everyday.

It is really neat to see what you guys are into.
My list was only the newer stuff I listen to but you can add ANY classic rock group to my list also.

I saw a lot of groups on your lists I had forgotten about but would have added to mine if I had remembered them. There are SO MANY!!!!8)

I never really got into rap though. I used to like "South Park Mexican" (SPM)
at one time, but moved on to other things.

Some 90s like Butthole Surfers, NiN, Nirvana, some classic rock like Hendrix, Joplin, Airplane, some blues like BB King and Coltrane, some oddballs like Johnny Cash, but mostly punk: Sex Pistols, Ramones, Black Flag, Buzzcocks, Clash, Iggy Pop, Social Distortion...

I like Kutlass, but I really dig TFK. There's a lot of the contemporary Christian rock bands I like. I'm cool with a positive message, but honestly, I don't want to listen to someone cramming their beliefs down my throat when I'm listening to my music. So, for a while there I wasn't too into the Christian rock, but the newer stuff generally has a good balance. I don't know if you've listened to any of their stuff, but you'd probably like Skillet, too.

Yeah, today's harder Christian artists tend to walk the fine line between pushing it down your throat and just letting the music speak. More of a difference between having a revival and just street evangelizing (which I've done a lot of in the past). One is usually done with a lot Amens and Halleluhas the other is usually done in just the topic of normal conversation. Both have their place, just depends on the group. And groups like TFK, Skillet (yup, I've heard 'em), Kutlass, TobyMac, are reaching out to the same group of people who listen to their more mainstream contemparies, like Nickleback, 3 Doors Down, etc. The message is there, but on a more subtle level as not t push people away. Personally, I will say, that DC Talks "Jesus Freak" has always been one of my favorite songs. And my older sister's kids are not Christian's but they really get into that song.

-
Back