What Are You Doing To/With Your Car Today?

-
Santa's elves in the big brown sleigh delivered my Christmas wish a few months early.

15974558620222621552318133300802.jpg
15974560698248082883870284045615.jpg
15974561142813297791795187630523.jpg

Are you sure that doesn't have my address on it? Maybe it was delivered to the wrong house?

Finished bleeding brakes on my Wilwood master cylinder install. Project involved touching up paint of firewall where stock style master cylinder leaked brake fluid and eye through the paint. Yes one man can bleed brakes...:lol:

Drove to the Steak & Shake for the Friday night cruise-in. I stopped to fill the fuel cell since the gauge said less than 1/4 tank... but it only took 5.2 gal to fill the 10 gal cell to the top. Not too bad for 51 miles with most of that on the highway! Time for a new sender, but since they're $90+, perhaps just make a new sliding float with the embedded magnet...

I have got to fix that front cover oil leak... and either get the correct hood hinges for the AAR Fiberglass hood - or make a neat prop rod :rolleyes:

Steak n Shake cruise-in.jpg

DSCF0156.JPG

Well I finally got some work done on finishing my motor.
Got the timing cover and new water pump installed and put new damper in place, centered timing cover and tightened bolts.

IMG_3102.JPG
IMG_3103.JPG
IMG_3104.JPG
IMG_3107.JPG

I cant wait til it runs!

Rechecked the calibration on my old Autometer 5" tach (I'd got it cheap because it read way off, and found that the glue on the cal pots had just dried out and come off. Reset with pulse generator and frequency counter).
But it's not perfectly linear - it reads 100 rpm low at 1000, 50 low at 2000, 100 low at 3000, right on at 4000 and 5000, about 100 high at 6000 and 7000, 150 high at 8000. Since I won't be revving over 7K no matter what, I guess that's close enough (100 of 3000 is only 3.3%)for a consumer-grade instrument subjected to automotive environment. Was hoping for 1% though.

Also went out for a short cruise (first day the % humidity hasn't been almost as high as the air temp!) with a smart phone propped on the dash, running a GPS speedometer app. Sure enough, 60 mph on the speedo is 57.5 on the GPS. Don't remember whether I put a 38 or 39 tooth gear in, but I need one more tooth ;)

Drove the Cuda around town for an hour or so early in the morning before the heat of the day comes.... it's been over 100 every day for a week and will continue to be for at least another week!

Washed all my cars and I'm toast now. ....

Jeff

Here's a screenshot of my weather...just took it.

2020-08-16 13.54.19.png

Ya...won't be doing much on the Cuda anytime soon!

Jeff

Here's a screenshot of my weather...just took it.

View attachment 1715579189

Ya...won't be doing much on the Cuda anytime soon!

Jeff

Wimp :D 99 is reasonable when the humidity is only 27%. Here in southern MO it's been 90 or above and 60-65%. Like someone throwing a hot wet blanket in your face the moment you step outside.

I just put coveralls on, jacked up the car, pulled the speedo pinion (38 teeth, so I need a 39), went back inside and I'm soaked from head to toe. Southern summers suck.

Not too happy about what I have had to do. Blown head gasket replacement. To replace head gasket a on an RB with headers you have to remove the entire intake, valley pan, steering column to move the headers out of the way. For the left side you have to remove the torsion bar and then one side of the motor mount to jack up the motor to get the header out. At least I found out why my fresh build was not performing. Cylinder 6 had a burnt cable and was not burning fuel, no spark.
5208B48A-FC5C-41C0-89BA-A706BF52C6FD.jpeg
360A832E-A667-41AF-8DD3-72D7B3AFB89D.jpeg
3AC48CB6-F375-4B19-BCFC-C4343A263EB0.jpeg
Glad I found it. I would have had to remove the header to change the plug and wire.

took that whole fuel sending unit apart again
(it was the return nipple that was leaking)

slathered it in permatex 4 , made sure i got it as tight as possible and put it all back together
i wont know untill i fill her back up if it did the trick or not...but if it didnt, im out of ideas

Did some running around today, and got a half a tank of gas
The fuel level now is for sure above the sending unit...and all is dry
Happy day

Took the dog to Autozone in the truck to get 4 quarts of Pennzoil Synchromesh Fluid to drain/refill the A833 since I lost some while pulling the speedo pinion anyway. (Last night I'd ordered it online and got the confirmation email that it was ready to pick up).
Naturally they didn't have it on the pull counter, there was only one on the shelf and they could only find one more in the back. "We can have it for you first thing in the morning tomorrow". Doesn't do a damn bit of good today, now does it. They did this with my last prepaid/pick-up order too. Friggin' Autozone. I never learn! :icon_fU:

There is a reason why O'Reilly was able to open a second store in this small (11,966) city a few years ago, and the one Autozone seems to have different employees (and manager) every time I go in there. :realcrazy:

Last edited:
I painted hillbilly timing tape on the damper of one of my old Mopars with a 360. After I did so, it immediately became obvious that I had waay too much vacuum advance, also resulting in too much total advance. Then it dawned on me that I had never adjusted the vacuum advance canister when I installed the distributor! Guess I should have read the instructions. I don't think I'll make that mistake again right away.

Today... well, today we installed the gas tank. Realized we didn’t buy the grommet for the filler neck, so need to get that. Broke the bolts that hold the tank straps. Both of them. Was able to get a nut started on the remainder, and tack welded it to not come loose. Received the accelerator hardware so I can get that done. Also got the new coil wire that needs to be trimmed and terminated. Tomorrow... tomorrow the car moves under its own power for the first time in 15+ years. No fenders, hood, trunk, passenger door, bumpers, lights... but it will be driven!

Last edited:
-
Back