What Are You Doing To/With Your Car Today?

-
I got all my LED instrument panel bulbs in and working. I went with the amber so they wouldn't be super bright. I had to do some circuit board repair. Nice to finally have working lights.

View attachment 1715682744
I love the idea of amber LEDs, definitely gonna follow your lead. I got the regular LEDs and while it's nice that they're bright, I think I'd like the softer amber light.

Made some progress today. Had to suspend the compressor and take the grill out in order to raise the condenser enough to get the cam out.

View attachment 1715684987

View attachment 1715684990
That's a neat contraption you've got there. Do you raise and lower the condenser with the bolt in the middle, or...?

Today I'm chasing electrical gremlins and trying to learn how to use an analog multimeter. Pops put this together from a kit back in the 80s and ended up gifting it to me.
fullsizeoutput_8c9.jpeg

My fuel and water temp gauges have never worked since owning the car, and while I went with an aftermarket water temp gauge, I'd still like to have an idea of how much gas I've got. I check the ground at the sender, looks good. Replaced the voltage regulator with an RTE limiter and soldered some damage on the circuit board, no change.
fullsizeoutput_75c.jpeg

Yesterday replaced the circuit board with a new one, still no change.
fullsizeoutput_8c8.jpeg

I'm considering starting a new thread about this, but should the tab on the voltage limiter be connected electrically? Or does it simply "plug" into the back of the instrument cluster like I have it in the picture?

Long week of fighting the carb... it kept flooding the engine... rebuilt it... secondaries needle immediately got stuck wide open and... waterfalled gas into the engine to flood it... changed oil... put wrong oil in it... changed oil again... out of zinc additive... will get some zinc additive in the morning then my buddy is coming over to help me tune the carb or throw it in the trash...

I had good help though!

View attachment 1715688913

View attachment 1715688914

View attachment 1715688915

View attachment 1715688916

View attachment 1715688917

View attachment 1715688918

View attachment 1715688919

are you sure you are fighting the carb?
that is just the final step in the fuel system

if it were me, id double check the fuel pressure first...no matter how clean the carb is, and how great those needles seat, too much pressure will force the fuel past it

Finally installed the Unilite dist , the surge protector for the Unilite module, the MSD 6 box, the MSD Blaster2 coil. after sitting for a year, it cranked and runs great. Fixed the rear brakes. In the process of installing the new MSD StreetFire wires, have to pull the steering column and install the pin for the shoes.Motor sounds great no smoke/noises, I didn't build the motor and don't know who did, sounds like a small RV/ 340 cam, nice tone to the new dual exhaust system. Dressed it up like a 273, yep, I know the breather sticker is wrong, got some wiring to clean and tape up, taking the steering column up to KDSmiths shop to get it right.
pic before the ignition change, I might actaully drive this car after buying it in June of 2019!
upload_2021-2-13_16-4-3.png

Last edited:
are you sure you are fighting the carb?
that is just the final step in the fuel system

if it were me, id double check the fuel pressure first...no matter how clean the carb is, and how great those needles seat, too much pressure will force the fuel past it

Yes its the carb. I traded my Edelbrock AVS2 for this carb. Usually runs about 6-7psi fuel pressure. My car never had any problems with the AVS2, and I drive my car quite often and have had it for the past 1.5yrs. This is my first time ever messing with a carb, my avs2 I just took it out of the box and slapped it on. This one I'm actually learning how to use it.

The guy who had the brawler 770 couldn't ever get it to run right on his car.

The brawler was jetted way to high, bowl gaskets werent in the best shape. Idle mixture screws turned to far out. Etc. New needle got a piece of rubber stuck in it from where I have no clue, probably from new rubber hose.

Right now its starting right up, idling and sounding much better. Needs final tuning which a friend is going to help me with. I'll also put in new plugs before we start the final tuning tomorrow.

I love the idea of amber LEDs, definitely gonna follow your lead. I got the regular LEDs and while it's nice that they're bright, I think I'd like the softer amber light.

That's a neat contraption you've got there. Do you raise and lower the condenser with the bolt in the middle, or...?
Yes I can raise the compressor with the nut on top. It will help when I have to line it up with the water pump brackets.

Covered my wood grain steering wheel for my 66 Barracuda with wheels skins leather cover. To make the wheel Cross section larger I used a vintage Montgomery Ward perforated steering wheel cover is the base. It was from my fathers garage.

F7D3003F-5E85-4495-A34C-06D0830A6747.jpeg

6093D895-BC37-4481-9D96-FA05897F8357.jpeg

03D9A9B9-9F6E-4054-A8EC-BF0910277833.jpeg

Pulled the oil pan today. Good thing, the cork gasket was like hard varnish and as thin as paper. Cleaned the pickup. Still have to clean the sludge out of the pan. Surprised that it is a baffled pan.

IMG_20210213_135747.jpg

IMG_20210213_161834.jpg

Installed the new seal and rubber bushing on the drivers side wiper pivot. Tomorrow the passenger side!

Cam is in. Got the condenser back in place, and all the supports and the grill reinstalled. Now I can lean over the front again.

IMG_20210214_150435.jpg

IMG_20210214_150757.jpg

I replaced the 1-1/8" (?) piston master cylinder with a 15/16" bore. My wife worked the pedal while I bled the brakes. I can clearly tell a difference in the pedal. Not near as much effort to get it stopped. Front K-H discs and rear drums.
20210213_172414.jpg

-
Back