What Are You Doing To/With Your Car Today?

-
Brakes were starting to get soft so I loaded up my son (15 in September) and drove down to the little shop I rent for my motorcycles and we bled/flushed the brakes. He started out on the pedal, then we switched and he was down at the bleeder valve. So now he knows how to do that.

Although when we first took the cover off the master cylinder the rear circuit was very very low. So I've probably gotta change a leaky wheel cylinder, but it was too hot outside in the alley to jack the car up and start pulling wheels to check em. The rest of the system doesn't appear to have any leaks anywhere. Next week he will learn how replace drum brake wheel cylinders and pads i guess.

I'm turning 39 next month and nobody ever taught me how to do any of this stuff at all. I've actually never done drum brakes before so it'll be a first for me too, but I have done disk brakes. I figure best I can do is show him how all these things work since nobody taught me.

Last edited:
Brakes were starting to get soft so I loaded up my son (15 in September) and drove down to the little shop I rent for my motorcycles and we bled/flushed the brakes. He started out on the pedal, then we switched and he was down at the bleeder valve. So now he knows how to do that.

Although when we first took the cover off the master cylinder the rear circuit was very very low. So I've probably gotta change a leaky wheel cylinder, but it was too hot outside in the alley to jack the car up and start pulling wheels to check em. The rest of the system doesn't appear to have any leaks anywhere. Next week he will learn how replace drum brake wheel cylinders and pads i guess.

I'm turning 39 next month and nobody ever taught me how to do any of this stuff at all. I've actually never done drum brakes before so it'll be a first for me too, but I have done disk brakes. I figure best I can do is show him how all these things work since nobody taught me.

The brake system devil must of gotten us both... Im bleeding my brakes right now! I agree on it being hot outside, its 90 degrees and humid as Satan's balls right now.

The brake system devil must of gotten us both... Im bleeding my brakes right now! I agree on it being hot outside, its 90 degrees and humid as Satan's balls right now.
Suck it up and get back to work. Now if you had a Tesla? You could just plug it in and then go watch Rugby or something on the TV
:thumbsup:

Take pics as you take the stuff off then you got a reference on how it goes back.

Pulled the front calipers off the POS, pads are fine, as expected, I have no doubt that the caliper only recently seized as I know it was ok last time the car was on the hoist, local auto parts store has ordered them for me, with a bit of luck will have them by Tuesday.
Meantime I'll pull the bearings and give a refresh of grease, one of my all time favorite tasks.:mad:
Then I'll probably do something dumb like put the MSD distributor back in so I can start over from scratch with the timing.

Swapping radiators. The one the car came with had some stand off brackets on each side. I think they were trying to make room for the electric fan they also put on. The radiator wasn't against the core support much at all. No shroud. Also added the hood/radiator and hood/cowl seals. It will probably actually draw air through the radiator now. Electric fan sounded like crap so I'm glad to see that go. Will have to run to Napa to get some hoses and transmission cooler lines.

Have a good weekend all.

20210724_122627_copy_1024x768.jpg
20210724_133049_copy_768x1024.jpg

Welp it cooled down so I layed down on the street to get a better look at things and it def isn't my wheel cylinders.
Looks like my rear distribution block is leaking.
I guess I'll order new hard lines for the rear as well as that soft line because as soon as I put a wrench on this something is definitely gonna break.

Are the 7 1/4 hard lines the same as the 8 1/4? Can't seem to find 7 1/4 lines online anywhere.

Picture of the leaky area for good measure.
PXL_20210724_205202469.jpg

My Toyota Denso alternator was dead out of the box so I put a new one in.Was gonna fire it up and check it out but the neighbours are outside with company over having a bbq.I don’t think they wanna listen to open headers so I’ll try later

63682964-382F-40CB-AD65-613D76D087E4.jpeg

Took the hood off, pulling the engine and transmission and stripping the car to send to paint......

20210724_135827.jpg

20210724_135838.jpg

Jeff

My Toyota Denso alternator was dead out of the box so I put a new one in.Was gonna fire it up and check it out but the neighbours are outside with company over having a bbq.I don’t think they wanna listen to open headers so I’ll try later

View attachment 1715770707
Maybe they would want to come over and check it out, never know. Pretty sure my neighbor would come out and start screaming at me, that would only encourage me to rev it up some! (Full disclosure, my neighbor is a complete asshole)

Gutting this. Putting a jug inside and making it a coolant overflow bottle for a 1972 Dart. 72 never had overflow bottles. So it will look stock and be hiding in broad daylight. ( Yes and clean it up first) Has anyone ever thought of this idea before? It needs to look Factory stock but I want a overflow tank. :)

Resized_6488590001.jpeg

Last edited:
Welp it cooled down so I layed down on the street to get a better look at things and it def isn't my wheel cylinders.
Looks like my rear distribution block is leaking.
I guess I'll order new hard lines for the rear as well as that soft line because as soon as I put a wrench on this something is definitely gonna break.

Are the 7 1/4 hard lines the same as the 8 1/4? Can't seem to find 7 1/4 lines online anywhere.

Picture of the leaky area for good measure.
View attachment 1715770694
That’s a one piece rubber line and fitting. Make sure lines aren’t rusted, doubt it with that much oil around them. While you’re under there change the rubber fuel hose to gas tank, 5/16th

Maybe they would want to come over and check it out, never know. Pretty sure my neighbor would come out and start screaming at me, that would only encourage me to rev it up some! (Full disclosure, my neighbor is a complete asshole)
I know my neighbors would love it
But then, they got good taste, they own a 69 dart

Went to the Telegraph Rd cruise today on Taylor, MI. LOTS of beautiful cars and the 8-lane boulevard was lined with cars and people for several miles. Parked at a resto shop having an open house where our 71 Demon is essentially completed.
Couple pics...
20210724_133818.jpg
20210724_134345.jpg

The 71 Demon was one of the "featured" cars at the resto shop's open house as part of the cruise. We were excited to see it there as they do AMAZING work on so many cars. It will be coming home soon to get the 340 put back in it.
20210724_112147.jpg
20210724_111944.jpg
20210724_111927.jpg

I took the car for a run last weekend after getting it back together and breaking in the cam. It ran alright but the old carb was acting up. The idle was too low and there was a huge hesitation. I decided to swap to the new Street Demon rather than wasting any more time on it. Took it back out for a run today and it was night and day difference. The new carb is very responsive and works great right out of the box.

IMG_20210724_123640.jpg

IMG_20210724_123819.jpg

I took the car for a run last weekend after getting it back together and breaking in the cam. It ran alright but the old carb was acting up. The idle was too low and there was a huge hesitation. I decided to swap to the new Street Demon rather than wasting any more time on it. Took it back out for a run today and it was night and day difference. The new carb is very responsive and works great right out of the box.

View attachment 1715770881

View attachment 1715770882

Glad that Charger is working out for you! Any word on your old Barracuda? Is the owner a member here?

-
Back