What budget torque converter?

-
I did some searching and there’s not a converter shop close to me. I did however find a place near Dallas, Performance Torque Converters of Texas. They seem to have a good reputation and will rebuild my converter to 2800 stall for $250. Does anyone know about them? I want to get this car back on the road with something decent that will last me a while. The car won’t see a race track, but I do like to get down on it.

I have a stock 11in converter that was rebuilt and increased stall to 2500 for about 200 bucks. Worked pretty well for a street driver. I'm not a magician with the transmission sooo, the difference between that one and my new 3500 tight tc isnt to drastic..
So basically, you pitched 200 bucks in the trash, because most stock Mopar converters will flash 2500 behind just a warm 318. Mopar was always known for using higher stall speeds, because they knew how to get the vehicle rolling.

Call Kenny at PTC in Alabama. Tell him what you have and he will fix you up. I run one of his converters and one of his 727 transmissions in my Duster. 408 and a Strange 60.
Dustaar

So basically, you pitched 200 bucks in the trash, because most stock Mopar converters will flash 2500 behind just a warm 318. Mopar was always known for using higher stall speeds, because they knew how to get the vehicle rolling.

Well I had it rebuilt and then just asked them to up the stall, which is what they did. It worked great for 2 years. Now I have it sitting in a box and a new tc in the car.

I'm just giving the op options and ideas of what he can do on a budget.

My converter has not acted right since I got my car. It won’t allow it to idle in gear without some help from the throttle. I’m looking at a Hughes 24-25, but also want to get the best bang for my dollar. Probably going to swap the cam to a voodoo 268 while the motor is out. I’m trying to stay under $400 and the car is street driven. 360 with a 727. Any other suggestions before I purchase?
I just pulled that converter out to put a 4,000 stall in. I have no complaints with that converter it can take beating and worked flawless for 3yrs.

You can always just re=sell your converter as long as it's not contaminated. I'm finding that parts places are unable to get factory hi-stalls.

Call Kenny at PTC in Alabama. Tell him what you have and he will fix you up. I run one of his converters and one of his 727 transmissions in my Duster. 408 and a Strange 60.
Dustaar
Hello! Good to see you on the site again!

Well I had it rebuilt and then just asked them to up the stall, which is what they did. It worked great for 2 years. Now I have it sitting in a box and a new tc in the car.

I'm just giving the op options and ideas of what he can do on a budget.
But there's a difference between budget and money wasted. You have to understand "GOOD" converters start out at about $450. You CAN spend $5000 on a race bred converter, so $450 to about $750 is considered a GOOD budget converter.

Converter technology has changed probably more than any one thing in the past years for hot rodding. It's incredible what a good converter can do, just as much as it sucks dead rotten worm infested elephant balls what a junk one can do. You won't catch me recommending a $200 converter to anybody.

I had one that said GER on it.
It should have said "dead rotten worm-infested elephant balls" on it.:lol::rofl::thankyou:
:rofl:
It's true, too. Nothing can F up a good car like a crappy converter.

Sounds like a bad case of Converter Envy ta me...most drivers will be happy with a converter with just a little bit of extra stall to it. Not street driven race cars...

Sounds like a bad case of Converter Envy ta me...most drivers will be happy with a converter with just a little bit of extra stall to it. Not street driven race cars...
That's probably true. Probably true too is, "most drivers" have not felt what a REAL converter can do and not "JUST" on race cars.

yea until they get in a car with a real similar combination to theirs only with a good converter.. holy crap. the difference a good converter makes is amazing... they aren't cheap but make more of a difference then some other expensive modifications make.. they can also be the difference between a enjoyable car and one that is just never right.

again, you have to be 100% honest about your specific combination, weight and intended use. intended use is really important.. you tell them its 99.999% track car it may not be real enjoyable on the street.. you tell the its a pure street car you may give up a little at the track..

What was the stock stall rated at in the 340's? I'd like to know what I have since I bought the car with what was described as the stock stall converter.

As part of a three converter swap with a buddy of mine, many years ago I swapped my stock A12 converter for my friends 73 340 converter.
My big block stocker tightened up his small block,(mileage reasons), and the small block stalled about 3200 in my A12. It was perfect!

Probably the “ best” economical convertor I would consider would be the 9.5 from PTC
Know several guys happy with them in street strip applications

Why do all converter discussions go from "don't care" to "$700" in under 12 seconds? 95% of the folks on this site would be happy with a stock 340 converter. But lots of guys have full size converters in their Dusters and wonder why their car is doggy. The problem as I see it..... Stock hi-stall 340 convertersa are NLA. Anybody know a source? Or even a hi-stall Dodge truck converter? Ones they put behind small blocks in low-geared trucks? Places like O'Reilleys used to have them for under $100.

-
Back