What Carburetor Fits This Manifold?

-

MrJLR

Built, not bought
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
This manifold was on my 318 when I bought it.
I've been told it's from a 360 truck engine...about 1974???

It had an Edelbrock carb on it with some weird adapter plate....

What carb will bolt up without the adapter plate?

Or if I want an Edelbrock/Holley - what adapter plate should I use?
I'm thinking in the 650CFM range...

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• 20160319_102534_zpsgj41173o.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 518
This manifold was on my 318 when I bought it.
I've been told it's from a 360 truck engine...about 1974???

It had an Edelbrock carb on it with some weird adapter plate....

What carb will bolt up without the adapter plate?

Or if I want an Edelbrock/Holley - what adapter plate should I use?
I'm thinking in the 650CFM range...

Thanks in advance!

Top it off with a Thermoquad...

yup a thermoquad came on that.. not sure you can get them new anymore but they are pretty easy to rebuild and you can usually find them cheap.

Every once in a blue moon a NOS TQ pops up in e-bay. Though often it is not a year carb so desirable.

The adapter plate you found under the carb seals up the squarebore to the super large secondary side of the spreadbore intake. If it is the Edekbrock adapter that is very thin, about 3/16 total with a gasket on both sides, then, It is the easiest and least intrusive way to adapter the squarebore car. To the spreadbore intake. The Edelbrock carb will bolt to the intake directly but could leak air badly.

CFM requirements will vary widely based on purpose.
A 650cfm carb on a 318 pretty much covers it all up to some light racing.

Every once in a blue moon a NOS TQ pops up in e-bay. Though often it is not a year carb so desirable.

The adapter plate you found under the carb seals up the squarebore to the super large secondary side of the spreadbore intake. If it is the Edekbrock adapter that is very thin, about 3/16 total with a gasket on both sides, then, It is the easiest and least intrusive way to adapter the squarebore car. To the spreadbore intake. The Edelbrock carb will bolt to the intake directly but could leak air badly.

CFM requirements will vary widely based on purpose.
A 650cfm carb on a 318 pretty much covers it all up to some light racing.

The adapter plate was 1/2" thick.....Had to machine down a socket to remove it because the hex of the bolts was down inside.....

In 1985 Chrysler started using the Rochester Quadrajet when Carter went out of business.My 88 Dodge Ram D350 had one on it's 360 engine. Carter Thermoquads have been available thru Summit as remanufactured,but not sure of anyone using one or about the quailty. I had a Thermoquad rebuilt by HARMS,Scott Smith at a price of $420,this included shipping .This is a restoration quality piece and performs flawlessly. Holley still makes a replacement spread bore that you can get thru Summit or Jegs. Jegs part #510-0-8055C

The problem with a TQ is;

The many adjustments with the linkages to get just right for a given application.
Replacement/Performance parts are hard to get. Tuning can be an issue. While jets and rods can be found, they are pricey.
Worn out parts like the throttle shaft. It starts to egg out the base plate. (Air leaks)

The sweet thing about the TQ is;

There a very flexible and forgiving carb. You would probably find best results with the smaller (1.38 ) primary size.
They do come in an electrical choke as well. They were made this way with the small primary and also with a Chevy throttle arm. These TQ's could have been purchased over the counter as replacement carbs.
There generally inexpensive to find & rebuild.

What you'll probably like about them;

If you get yourself a well rebuilt unit, or find one that is in good shape, you'll find the carb has a really nice throttle response and delivers good mileage (how well it is tuned is key of course) The Wide Open Throttle (WOT) hit is a good one with the huge secondaries that are tunable with a spring loaded air door.

You'll ether have people busting your balls on its use or you'll get people saying "WTF is THAT thing?!?!?!" Where you can always reply, "Oh that? It's Alien tech. A little grey guy gave that to me and said it would be good."

I've ran Holleys, TQ's, and AFB style carbs. The adapter plate I pictured in my thread "low dollar 318 build" will allow you to run the square bore.

If your going to run a square bore, then I would recommend grinding the divider, again like mine in the "low dollar 318 build" thread.

As mentioned, If you grind the divider, there is a thin adapter plate that will allow you to run the Eddy/Carter AFB carb, and will bolt directly to the intake. The plate helps you seal the carb to intake.

The best fit is the Thermoquad. They are a little harder to dial in to perfection, but if you understand carbs, then it wouldn't be a problem.

Bottom line is you have choices, which is a good thing.

In 1985 Chrysler started using the Rochester Quadrajet when Carter went out of business.My 88 Dodge Ram D350 had one on it's 360 engine. Carter Thermoquads have been available thru Summit as remanufactured,but not sure of anyone using one or about the quailty. I had a Thermoquad rebuilt by HARMS,Scott Smith at a price of $420,this included shipping .This is a restoration quality piece and performs flawlessly. Holley still makes a replacement spread bore that you can get thru Summit or Jegs. Jegs part #510-0-8055C

The problem with a TQ is;

The many adjustments with the linkages to get just right for a given application.
Replacement/Performance parts are hard to get. Tuning can be an issue. While jets and rods can be found, they are pricey.
Worn out parts like the throttle shaft. It starts to egg out the base plate. (Air leaks)

The sweet thing about the TQ is;

There a very flexible and forgiving carb. You would probably find best results with the smaller (1.38 ) primary size.
They do come in an electrical choke as well. They were made this way with the small primary and also with a Chevy throttle arm. These TQ's could have been purchased over the counter as replacement carbs.
There generally inexpensive to find & rebuild.

What you'll probably like about them;

If you get yourself a well rebuilt unit, or find one that is in good shape, you'll find the carb has a really nice throttle response and delivers good mileage (how well it is tuned is key of course) The Wide Open Throttle (WOT) hit is a good one with the huge secondaries that are tunable with a spring loaded air door.

You'll ether have people busting your balls on its use or you'll get people saying "WTF is THAT thing?!?!?!" Where you can always reply, "Oh that? It's Alien tech. A little grey guy gave that to me and said it would be good."

Thanks guys!
Interesting stuff! I've always used Eddys & Holleys....I think I'm gonna give the TQ a shot...good enough for Ma Mopar - good enough for me!

:coffee2:

That intake will mount a TQ, Quadrajet, or the Holley 4165 and 4175. Probably a couple more.

Pretty sure someone has already done some work on your intake divider

I could be wrong, this is what I'm used to seeing at the carb mount.....

Attachments

• DSCN0476[1].jpg
    49 KB · Views: 308
  • DSCN0477[1].jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 293
I'm being modest.... LOL. Yes, your intake has been worked on. They did it to make it "match up" better to a square bore carb. If you re-visit my "low dollar 318" thread, you'll see mine has even more work done to it than yours.
This kind of falls into the category of "gasket matching", except your making the intake better match the carb base. Hope I didn't confuse you with this explanation.

I'm being modest.... LOL. Yes, your intake has been worked on. They did it to make it "match up" better to a square bore carb. If you re-visit my "low dollar 318" thread, you'll see mine has even more work done to it than yours.
This kind of falls into the category of "gasket matching", except your making the intake better match the carb base. Hope I didn't confuse you with this explanation.

Hmmmm.....I get it - like "gasket matching"......
Would this pose any problem running a TQ ?

Hmmmm.....I get it - like "gasket matching"......
Would this pose any problem running a TQ ?

Nope. TQ will work just fine on it. But if you were to run, lets say a 600 eddy for example, I would suggest even removing more by the primaries so the butterflies don't hit the intake. If done right, you can run an AFB style carb without your 1 inch adapter plate. For a better seal, you might want to run the flat square to spread adapter. Like 10 bucks or something on ebay.

As I stated in my thread, that cast intake is a great intake. Low end is great, and it will rev past your engine in your 'cuda. I know a guy that turned 7200 rpm's with a cast intake in a drag truck. Bottom line is they work. Not the prettiest, nor the lightest, but very practical.

Nope. TQ will work just fine on it. But if you were to run, lets say a 600 eddy for example, I would suggest even removing more by the primaries so the butterflies don't hit the intake. If done right, you can run an AFB style carb without your 1 inch adapter plate. For a better seal, you might want to run the flat square to spread adapter. Like 10 bucks or something on ebay.

As I stated in my thread, that cast intake is a great intake. Low end is great, and it will rev past your engine in your 'cuda. I know a guy that turned 7200 rpm's with a cast intake in a drag truck. Bottom line is they work. Not the prettiest, nor the lightest, but very practical.

Awesome....thanks!
Mine looks a little prettier now.....but it SURE aint light!
But.....zero cost as opposed to an alum unit at $250+......I'm gonna run this intake and a TQ!

:burnout:

What no one said is the one big problem TQs have is a warped plastic main body, causing vacuum leaks. THAT is there main downfall. IMO

Your manifold is for a "spread-bore" 4 barrel carburetor - mainly Thermoquad or Quadrajet. Both give better mileage than a "square-bore" 4 bbl, if they operate correctly. Quadrajet's were commonly on GM engines, so are more available and cheaper. A good TQ is hard to find, since they had reliability issues (plastic body).

A better photo would help identify. It looks like possibly an after-market intake. Is it aluminum or just painted silver? The circle emblem looks kind of like Offenhauser's Dual-Port "360 deg" intake. If so, that is rare and special, with 2 runners to each cylinder for better low-end torque and mileage, though not preferred for max HP. I have one for my 383 engine.

FWIW: Some International truck engines used the TQ as an OEM part.

The biggest problem I've seen with used TQs has been caused by someone getting ham-handed inside the carb and stripping out stuff which renders the main body unusable. Next in line is getting one adjusted so the secondaries don't open too soon or too fast (how it got the sobriquet, "ThermoBog").

TQ rebuild kit source, https://www.carburetor-parts.com/Carter-Thermoquad-Carburetor-Rebuild-Kit_p_735.html

-
Back