What crate engines is everyone using??

-

Steven190

Reaction score
This is not to bash everyone but more for information.

I am looking at an Indy Heads 415 create engine. What is everyone using for their engines?

Is your experience with your create engine good or bad and which one re you using.

The search of the internet only leaves you with more questions. I would prefer that our forum has a better cross section of users and experience.

What are your thoughts.

I build my own, so I'm not much help on the crate engine thing. If you have time, and a little know how you could save thousands of dollars doing it yourself. Do some research, buy an engine building book...its really not too hard. You will probably have to buy a few specialty tools, but you will still come out FAR ahead monetarily....and it just feels good to be able to say, yup, I built that motor :D.

I'm with Flyfish on roll your own, but if you want turn key, I have heard MRL or IMM Engines are two good choices.

I picked up a mopar perf 360 I believe 420 hp. I got it from the dealer ship. Someone ordered it and put a 2000.00 dep on it and never came back to pick it up. I knew the guy in parts and I got it less the 2 grand.
I have built lots of motors but figured a block filled with all those new parts had to be worth it.

Do your research before buying ANYTHING that Indy has assembled themselves.

From what I have learned over the years they make great raw parts, but they can't be trusted in the machine shop.

Not a mopar but my experience is with the 602 gm crates. around 400hp for about 3000$. For what it's worth they are pretty indestructible. We use them in the sportsman class in dirt track racing.

I don't buy crates, or recommend them unless it's from a reputable builder - meaning a machinist that will custom build you one and it arrives ina crate. Not it's a cheap price from a large "crate engine" emporium with a few custom touches for you in it. As was posted in another thread: Fast, Cheap, Reliable - pick your two.

As far as Indy goes - Run Forrest! Run far far away. The last Indy crate I had my hands in was a 432" B wedge that was $10K 10 years ago, was marketed as a 500hp package, and managed just shy of 425 because of terrible head work & poor ring sealing (it was supposedly dyno'd at Indy). It also smoked a little and had leak issues.

My $.02 - If you want their parts, use a reputable dealer and have a reputable shop make use of them. Do not go direct to Indy.

There are a few good builders that post in the forums ,so far have not seen any complaints from customers of theirs , you get what you pay for and they all seem to get what they paid for if not more .
I would not buy off those big online crate builders , they sound great on paper , not sure the parts and machining are the best , plus not sure the support you get if you're having problems .

I bought my current '69 Dart project a few years ago and it came with a new, never-run 380-horse 360 Mopar crate motor the PO had purchased before tiring of the project. It's still never been fired but I'm planning to pull it out and go through it just to make sure all is right.
Still contemplating changing a few things:
* aftermarket heads to replace the Magnum heads
* Edelbrock dual-plane intake to replace the single-plane M1
* haven't decided if I want to replace the 770-cfm Holley Street Avenger yet

Crate engines can't be trusted, found way too many things wrong with the crate engines which always leads to tearing them down and going through them and that ends up costing more then doing it yourself and knowing exactly what you have. Not saying all crate engines are bad but who knows right?

Avoid Indy at all cost , they will screw you over faster then you can blink .

This is good.As for building an engine, I have built over 20 over the years, from Ford(4 Pantera's) and Mopar. The feature I like about create engines is the time factor, if they produce the hp. numbers they advertise that is great. I will go thought the engine by removing the oil pan and valve covers to check what I can before firing it up. Keep the replies coming

If this is an engine you are buying from someone else that already bought it, you are buying an unknown pile of parts. You should price the purchase accordingly and consider the cost of doing the things a builder would do such as:

Checking ALL clearances.
Balance.
Replacing inferior parts.

And adjusting the components to meet your goal. If you are contemplating buying directly from Indy then tell Josh FU for me.

I'm not a fan of crate engines. I've only been involved with a couple but on those I did work with the buyer would have been far ahead to just get one from an individual builder. If you don't build your own or have a current builder you work with I recommend contacting MRL or IMM who regularly post on this site as all feedback on them has been positive.

I havent been a member here long, but one thing I remember is posts about engines {crate, that is] and their builders. The one big name that sticks in my mind is Indy. Hemi's that didnt last 100 miles, rb wedges etc. Post after post. Doesnt sound like they stand behind anything once they have your money. Call MRL.

I like the 440-1 heads I got from Indy but customer service uhhh shall we say leaves a bit to be desired!!!! Be prepaired for attitude and eventually answering your own questions but their parts are top shelf!!!

I have been trying to contact MRL about their 408 We will see what they have

Say no to two things.

Crate engines

Indy create engines.

I have read and fors hand heard from the been there and some that about how bad Indy was, is & will probably continue to be.

Brian above (ou812) Mike (MRL) are your guys.
IDK if screws does engines. He is closer to you in IIRC, Washington State.

I build my own, so I'm not much help on the crate engine thing. If you have time, and a little know how you could save thousands of dollars doing it yourself. Do some research, buy an engine building book...its really not too hard. You will probably have to buy a few specialty tools, but you will still come out FAR ahead monetarily....and it just feels good to be able to say, yup, I built that motor :D.

Same here. There is nothing like the experience and satisfaction of building your own motor. The engine I have now, I had a race engine shop do the short block for me and there were issues I had to deal with. I get my brain and hands very involved with every motor I build. I will say however that I bought some parts from MRL and had very good service and the parts were good and worked exactly like he claimed. I see he builds crate engines. His prices look high but high cost is a bargain in the long run when it's done right. I would feel comfortable buying an engine from him.

So far He has not contacted me, I have called and left messages and even PMed him.

I guess that MRL is not interested in doing business with me at this time.

-
Back