What do you guys think about these heads

-

pittsburghracer

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I’m guessing Brodix B1-mc small block heads. Look like a lot of work would be needed. Wish I had better pictures and more info. If they are indeed MC heads here’s some numbers from Stan’s website.

IMG_0096.jpeg

IMG_0095.jpeg

IMG_0094.jpeg

IMG_0097.jpeg

IMG_0098.jpeg

IMG_0108.jpeg

They were certainly the big dog of the aftermarket 20+ years ago. Everyone else scrambled to compete.

If they are bought/payed and available? I would find a build for them. Visually they look great. Especially if only mildly ported. All sorts of build options.

I have the B1-BA heads on my 340, and they work fine and have had zero problems. I think the BAMC uses an offset intake rocker . Not sure how the availability of rockers is.

I had considered them in the past. I have had experience with the B1 heads and the B1-B/S head in the past. The regular B1 heads (ported) had made a decent amount more power than ported 572-13 Indy heads on the setup they were on. What turned me away was people bitching about header fitment.

Seen a couple of builds that used those heads. Both were underwhelming.
I know Ryan never liked them.
That all said, I see Brett is messing with them now.

Intake Alves are 2.15” I believe like the W7 to W9 heads. Those look similar to the W series heads.

From what I have read years ago, the heads look good, flow bench well but did not provide the power and track times expected from the numbers the flow bench generated.

Hopefully Brett will find better results.

I’m guessing Brodix B1-mc small block heads. Look like a lot of work would be needed. Wish I had better pictures and more info. If they are indeed MC heads here’s some numbers from Stan’s website.

View attachment 1716158355

View attachment 1716158356

View attachment 1716158357

View attachment 1716158358

View attachment 1716158359

View attachment 1716158360
Cool. I don't remember ever seeing the extra row of head bolts on those for the R3 blocks. Very interesting. I would love to see someone do a modern port job and valve job and see how they perform.

Nobody ever talks about the short side radius size and shape, and I have always been curious.

The regular B1 BA has a 2.08 valve standard, as I recall. Not sure how big they can take, or if the port itself needs any more.

My brother has a set. They are basically a factory type replacement head like an Edelbrock. But they do have a bit of a raised exhaust port.
There are a ton of variations of them over the years too. I talked him into buying them, almost wish I hadn’t. Real pain in an earlier A BODY(63-66) with headers.

Lots of work involved on this set with them needing valve seats, porting work, etc. I’ll post more info as I find it.

I have a set of the B1 heads on my 340. Not sure of the flow numbers mine have been hand ported. and milled down to 43 cc going to get them on the flow bench probably in a month when I tear the motor back down and like somebody else said super hard to fit into an a body because of the stupid header set up my TTI needed some major modifications not bad on the passenger side just had to cut the braces on the flange. Driver side was a little more involved.

IMG_0161.png

IMG_0162.png

IMG_0163.png

I tried to get more info on this set but she’s a longtime friend that husband died and we haven’t really talked in years. So for that reason I’m going through another friend of hers that is helping sell off parts. Very slow moving process but I know I could help if I had more info.

Does that first picture show “Koffel” written on the heads? Wasn’t Koffel know for making some pretty serious power with the Brodix stuff?
10B668CC-32F9-4E71-BAC7-11682FA66C2F.png

Last edited:

Tom Hemphill that owned these heads was very close to the Koffels and they worked on many projects together. Years ago Tom made the first set of billet B1 heads for their dragster the Lake Erie Monster. Well Tom passed away A year or two ago at an early age and his wife is cleaning out the shop and I was told about these heads. I’m just trying to gather info so I can list them for sale for her.

Tom Hemphill that owned these heads was very close to the Koffels and they worked on many projects together. Years ago Tom made the first set of billet B1 heads for their dragster the Lake Erie Monster. Well Tom passed away A year or two ago at an early age and his wife is cleaning out the shop and I was told about these heads. I’m just trying to gather info so I can list them for sale for her.
I realized that, I’m trying to help figure out what they are.

You dont wan- a rebuild a set of J heads do ya?just guides seat work maybe some decking...or milling, I forget the terminology where you flatten the sealing surface on the millin g machine.

-
Back