What do you think about this 318 guys.

-
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nice numbers for a 318 if they are legit. I've seen dyno's #'s of some guys race car engines that well, run like a dog lol.

I don't know why anyone would doubt it though unless small blocks suck more than i imagined (i shoulda put in a 440) but.. 490hp out of 394CID is only 1.24hp per cube.. that's pretty standard area for a motor with boltons and a good build...

So that is prolly around 394" (not doing the math... but should be close with a 4.0 stroke) Seems plenty stout... I have had so many people tell me that doing a 390 is garbage and you have to do a 408 or don't bother.. i don't see a issue with those dyno sheets if they aren't leaned on a bit :)

That's kinda what i planned to do with my 318, cept with trickflows.. wish i knew his specs..

I saved you the math in post 12. He finally admitted to that number.

I saved you the math in post 12. He finally admitted to that number.
oh sorry... i am bad about reading back... and yeah.. saying it's a 318 doesn't make sense.. other than saying 318 block...

On the upside.. this makes me feel better bout doing a 390 if i don't run into a cheap 360 block... i only want 450ish hp anyway.. just dependable.

BTW.. i can see 12k if you actually add in all the little things that $100 you to death.. i figured 8-8500 for mine not considering carb/wires all the little ****.. plus machine shop work... stuff adds up quick, i try not to keep track cause it will make me stop..

P.S. once again.... shoulda went cheap big block :)

Lol I’m not a dyno number lover so I Dont know. I get a kick out of guys like this that post on Facebook. They either don’t know what they got or think they have a top secret combo. First he wouldn’t admit to it being a stroker, then he won’t say if the heads are ported. Won’t say if it’s a hydraulic roller or solid roller. I call it a girls post. They want to post but give no info. Lol
“A Girls post” LMAO

ATTENTION seeking, then ignoring those thirsty….

Classic internet chick move.

When I hear guy’s spending money like that on an engine like that I am so thankful for my Dad. My Dad knew nothing about cars except for minor maintenance and how to keep them nice. But he refused to pay for something he could teach himself to do. I have 5400.00 in my current build because of that. I paid and waited 13 months for an engine and told the builder I would never wait again. He laughed as I walked out. I got the last laugh. Lol

When I hear guy’s spending money like that on an engine like that I am so thankful for my Dad. My Dad knew nothing about cars except for minor maintenance and how to keep them nice. But he refused to pay for something he could teach himself to do. I have 5400.00 in my current build because of that. I paid and waited 13 months for an engine and told the builder I would never wait again. He laughed as I walked out. I got the last laugh. Lol
I am curious how much of that guys build was machine shop/assembly... i don't trust machine shops so i expect them to screw people (i know... all aren't the same...) i come up with bout 8k in parts off the top of my head for that build.. machine shop could have soaked him 2-3k for machining/build..

I am curious how much of that guys build was machine shop/assembly... i don't trust machine shops so i expect them to screw people (i know... all aren't the same...) i come up with bout 8k in parts off the top of my head for that build.. machine shop could have soaked him 2-3k for machining/build..

I dont think there’s enough info available on this build to come up with a price. Forged or cast crank? Stock or aftermarket rods, used or new parts, internal or external balanced? Way to many questions.

Depends on the shop, as some shops really charge $$. Back in 2017 I had an engine built by a local shop. Cost me $2400 in machine work, assembly and dyno. I'm sure prices have increased in that time and $3K wouldn't be out of the question nowadays.

I don't know why anyone would doubt it though unless small blocks suck more than i imagined (i shoulda put in a 440) but.. 490hp out of 394CID is only 1.24hp per cube.. that's pretty standard area for a motor with boltons and a good build...
it's not the hp that's necessarily off, to me it's the torque, unlike hp torque very tied to displacement generally a performance engine goes from 1.1 to 1.7 lbs-ft per cid, 1.5-1.7 is highly developed nascar pro stock etc... not your average build. If your getting over 1.2 your doing good over 1.3 is extremely good, 1.4 is pretty high and above most builds. And if this build is 1.4 lbs-ft per cid hp seems low for that level of a build, to me the dude grabbed a dyno pic that he felt would fit, my guess it's more likely a mild ish 420-450 cid engine dyno chart.

Last edited:
Plus put it this way 1.4 tq per cid for a 273 = 382 ibs-ft, 318 = 445 ibs-ft, 360 = 504 ibs-ft, 408 = 571 ibs-ft etc..

I Just checked in on his post. More questions, zero answers

How hard is it to say whether your heads are ported or not. What heads are you guys seeing??? Edelbrock???

Soaked ??? I have a hard time with that word and even more so in the amount you stated. Considering the cost of a days pay and the amount of time out into doing such work, I’d like to see you support a family and a shop on whatever you think is what should be paid for the job being done.

There is a huge difference in having someone do the job and you doing the job. I can screw together engines for a fraction of the build cost because I’m doing most everything. What I can’t do I’m glad to pay for. That would be bore and bone a block and balance the assembly perfectly. After that, I can do anything on the engine and its parts. If I went out and bought some items, I’d be down to just block work and final rotating assembly balancing to farm out.

Soaked ??? I have a hard time with that word and even more so in the amount you stated. Considering the cost of a days pay and the amount of time out into doing such work, I’d like to see you support a family and a shop on whatever you think is what should be paid for the job being done.

There is a huge difference in having someone do the job and you doing the job. I can screw together engines for a fraction of the build cost because I’m doing most everything. What I can’t do I’m glad to pay for. That would be bore and bone a block and balance the assembly perfectly. After that, I can do anything on the engine and its parts. If I went out and bought some items, I’d be down to just block work and final rotating assembly balancing to farm out.
I own a shop (in a different industry) so i get it.... soaked may be the wrong word... i just hate spending money right now is all :) summer is my slow time so it stresses me out

No doubt! More I keep the better I feel knowing I’m going further in the endeavor

I can't get past dumping 12 grand into a 318 I know its just money but it becomes a dick swinging contest when you have that much cash and don't go another route(340/360 or 5.9 Magnum). It's more about proving something that everyone already knows I think...however I also understand 318s are probably all that's left as cores these days. It kind of makes me wonder when 273s are on here real cheap and noone wants them same with teens.

Last edited:
What's with these strawman 318 arguments, $12,000 318's, people wanting 10-11s 318's where?
Most I see is people want to copy ish of the 400 hp build and generally just add a mild cam and 4bbl.

And no one is saying a 318 is better than 340/360 etc.. just it's a capable engine if one should choose to build it.

Last edited:
I will be building a 318, but it is 3rd on the list behind a couple projects that need completed. I have most of the parts already for the 318 build.

+ .030 318, W2's, Enderle Injected/methanol, 5500 stall, Glide, 4.88's in a 9", 2750 with driver.
Ran 9.95 @ 135
Al Bouska.jpg2.jpg

I wouldn't call it a strawman thing.. i have 5k+ into my 318 and it's still a pile of parts.. when i stroke it it will be 10k+... and i'm not doing anything crazy parts wise... just something to do.

P.S. i also don't see it as having to much money to throw away, i stress about every penny.. guys that build show queens with date coded torque converter bolts are the money guys

I wouldn't call it a strawman thing.. i have 5k+ into my 318 and it's still a pile of parts.. when i stroke it it will be 10k+... and i'm not doing anything crazy parts wise... just something to do
I have a roller teen block and some Speedmasters laying around. I should put something together even if I don't use it myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back