What do you think about this 318 guys.

-
Status
Not open for further replies.
An internal combustion engine is an air pump. The more air you pump the more torque you produce. Horsepower is a measurement of torque production over time. If Ma Mopar had thrown the same parts that made the 340 so great at the 318 it to would have been praised as well. Why do you think the Z-28 and Boss 302 weren't 350cid? SCCA rules at that time said engines used in the Trans-Am series had to start as production engines displacing 305cid or less. At that time all Chrysler Corp. was interested in doing was racing in a straight line. By the time Chrysler Corp was interested in Trans-Am the engine didn't have to start at or below 305cid. due to rule changes. I for one would like to build a 318 with stock unmodified 340cid heads, a solid lifter cam with specs close to the 302's from Chevy and Ford and stock 340 intake-carb and exhaust manifolds. Then dyno it and compare output numbers considering the 16cid difference.
Rant over, thanks for listening .

The ICE is a HEAT driven pump. That’s why you burn a fuel. Compressing air makes heat but not nearly enough.

Too many guys make this claim and then when building an engine they focus far too much on the air side and don’t give nary a thought to the fuel side.

That leaves horsepower on the table and HORSEPOWER wins races.

what should be out there as a "kit" is and correct me if I'm wrong because this stuff may be available ...a 340 style positive deck domed piston kit for a 318 block, or a flat top zero deck with fly cuts pistons etc I would do that with a 318 with the aftermarket heads...but the 318 is limited with what can be done it can only be bored so much etc. I don't really think 3.91 is a big issue its just what parts are available for piston kits, sroker kits etc. and of course cost effectiveness what you pay for how much power in return. I know I tend to overthink these things...
All these parts are available for the 318....
Doesn't really cost any more to build a 318 vs a 360 or 340 - might run you a $100 or so more for the pistons but if that's gunna break your budget then you shouldn't be trying to build a motor.
People build 318s because they already have them, sometimes the expense of tracking down & buying a 360 or 340 core is not worth it.
For example in Australia you will pay 2 - 3k for a rat fucked 360 short block - on a mild 1hp/ci motor would you pay 2-3 grand for an extra 22/42hp? I sure as he'll wouldn't - I would put up with being a bit down on power and keep that money in my pocket.

Last edited:
Yeah, i have had people tell me not to do 426 but no one with a good reason why not.. Everyone thinks 408 over 390 is a MASSIVE jump in power, but 408 to 426 doesn't matter... although it's pretty much the same price to do.
No long ago there was a 360 mag to 408 stroker build on you tube. All else the same , just the stroking from 360 to 408 was only a 34 hp increase

No long ago there was a 360 mag to 408 stroker build on you tube. All else the same , just the stroking from 360 to 408 was only a 34 hp increase
They increased compression ratio 2 points 6-8 % hp increase about 18-24 hp, but yes the top end was stock.

An internal combustion engine is an air pump. The more air you pump the more torque you produce. Horsepower is a measurement of torque production over time. If Ma Mopar had thrown the same parts that made the 340 so great at the 318 it to would have been praised as well. Why do you think the Z-28 and Boss 302 weren't 350cid? SCCA rules at that time said engines used in the Trans-Am series had to start as production engines displacing 305cid or less. At that time all Chrysler Corp. was interested in doing was racing in a straight line. By the time Chrysler Corp was interested in Trans-Am the engine didn't have to start at or below 305cid. due to rule changes. I for one would like to build a 318 with stock unmodified 340cid heads, a solid lifter cam with specs close to the 302's from Chevy and Ford and stock 340 intake-carb and exhaust manifolds. Then dyno it and compare output numbers considering the 16cid difference.
Rant over, thanks for listening .
Your better off with a Commando 273 stock....youre welcome :)

I for one would like to build a 318 with stock unmodified 340cid heads, a solid lifter cam with specs close to the 302's from Chevy and Ford and stock 340 intake-carb and exhaust manifolds.

Well I'm nobody to enter into how-to-build-an-engine threads. But the above is almost exactly what I plan for my Coronet wagon. It has a dead stock 2-bbl 318 now, it will get Speedmaster loaded heads, a stock set of 72 TQ intake, carb, and 340 HP exhaust manifolds, double roller timing set, and a SFT cam somewhere around 220-224 @ .050 and about .430 net lift. Dual exhaust too, to replace the single one it has now.

I had a Coronet with a 318 once a 69 Coronet 500 two door hard top was a nice looking car. Had RT tailight panel that threw people off LOL!

If I was spending 12 grand it sure as hell wouldn’t be on a 318/392 stroker. Unless it’s a X or R block that’s bored out over .100 thou. I also don’t believe those dyno numbers. Kim

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back