What do you think of this paint job?

-

Badart

Reaction score
Do you like patina paint jobs? I know this is a chevy, but this is an example of the paint job I would like to do. First of all I love finding old Mopars sitting in junk yards and fields behind peoples houses and I love the look of sun baked original paint. What do you think if I did this to my dart to pay tribute to all of those barn finds and mopars forgotten about? They did a show about these paint jobs on Trucks last week and I love it. Well?

tealtruck1-1.jpg

On that truck it's one thing..... On your Dart it may be another.

Hell… I don't know… It may look good on a dart. I love the natural look more than the over restored look,

Interesting. But living in the rust belt we try to rescue things that look like that and aren't so far gone that they can't be rescued before it get's worse. Since you're asking for opinion I guess my opinion is that I can look out my window and see a bunch of cars that look like that and wonder if they'll ever be rescued or just driven into the ground and scrapped or let deteriorate more from sitting. To purposefully make one look like that? Guess I don't get it.

I saw that episode and thought it was pretty cool that you could duplicate the look. I love the look on old trucks in particular, not sure about doing it on a Dart though?

The problem with it being original surface rust is you have to live in a very dry climate. Out on the west coast of Canada where I am surface rust very quickly becomes nothing but rust #-o

I'm not a big fan of the 'fake' aged look, on cars, trucks, clothes or guitars. All my stuff seems to wear out on it's own, no need to give any of it a headstart.

Not my cup of tea but I can see how some people like it. My Dad used to reproduce "antique" decoys. He used rusty nails and everything to make them. He'd paint them with incredible detail and then "ruin" the paint by pounding in bird shot, baking them in an oven, and deliberately cracking the wood.

I saw that patina paint build on trucks too. To say the least it was pretty interesting. May work on a rat rod or something but not an A-body. But who knows. It sure would be different and interesting.

Well...........not my cup of tea, but it would sure save on polishing, wax, and dusting.

Madart,
I LOVE your build, but please don't ruin it with a paint job that makes it look like like a POS. If you want to look low key, like that's ever going to happen with those massive meats in the rear, paint it either a flat black or semi gloss black. you are doing a classy job, stick with it.
Andrew

Madart,
I LOVE your build, but please don't ruin it with a paint job that makes it look like like a POS. If you want to look low key, like that's ever going to happen with those massive meats in the rear, paint it either a flat black or semi gloss black. you are doing a classy job, stick with it.
Andrew

That is one of the best paint jobs I have ever seen! I love it......... but thats just me.....

Pretty neat how they can duplicate the rust look to make it look real, but not on your dart.

That would be like a beautiful teenage girl getting plastic surgery to look like a worn out prostitute.

my thoughts on that?...

personally i think its a fad that was cool when it first came out but its getting over done now. i think the fads on its way out.

the other thing where i think it is stupid is that look was a in process look of the vehicle. back in the day that wasn't the finished product. it was a step in the process. i just think making a not rusty car rusty is just stupid. i've seen thes rat rod guys take clean cars and grind the pain off just to make them rusty, i just don't see the logic in it. fine let it stay a flat color and have surface rust during the build project. i can totally understand that. its why my car still has rust and a crappy paint job. i want it to run and drive the way i want before i worry about it looking good. but i'll be damned if the rusty look will be the finished product.

This is a 1951 Plymouth I once owned. This had real surface rust, not painted on, but the guy I sold it to restored it, so it no longer has this look. Does anyone know why the hood and fenders rust like that but the rest of the car doesn't? I've always wondered about that. The car sat in an open field, so it was fully exposed to the sun but only certain parts faded down to the metal. As far as the painted on rust is concerned, I think it is an interesting art form.

Aug30397.jpg

I sent the wrong photo. Here is the one I intended to send.

Doug Wood car (Medium).JPG

Thanks for all of the input. Today I have come to my senses and I am pleading temporary insanity. LOL. I must be going insane from the cabin fever. You guys are right, this paint job looks cool on trucks and rats, but not on abodies.

my thoughts are that you do whatever you like, its your car and nobody has the same taste as you. except me who shares the same taste as chip foose (lol.) my car is only flat back because i dont have much money or (mainly) time anymore. if i could have it my way , i would be able to put a coat of wax on my paintjob.

This is a 1951 Plymouth I once owned. This had real surface rust, not painted on, but the guy I sold it to restored it, so it no longer has this look. Does anyone know why the hood and fenders rust like that but the rest of the car doesn't? I've always wondered about that. The car sat in an open field, so it was fully exposed to the sun but only certain parts faded down to the metal. As far as the painted on rust is concerned, I think it is an interesting art form.

The fenders and hood have more wear on them ..rubbing the paint off by leaning over them.... also the sun hits them directly....ultra violet light damage.

Its your car do what you like.

It's only paint and can be redone!

But imo I haven't read anything about patina paint jobs in the painting mag's in over a year. I think this fad has passed.

It does look fine on pre-60 cars though.

I'm not a big fan of the 'fake' aged look, on cars, trucks, clothes or guitars. All my stuff seems to wear out on it's own, no need to give any of it a headstart.

Ditto. I love $150 jeans that come w/ holes in them. Gimmie 6 months, I'll take care of it myself!

Fake aged guitars piss me off.

Amen. I never got it. I have belt buckle spots, scratches, and nicks all over all my guitars, except for my Custom Shop that I never play. Why the hell would I pay good money for something that looks like it's been abused, when I can just abuse it myself?

I grew up on a farm in Ohio and we always had an old truck with that type of look, so I can sort of understand the nostalgia but not on a muscle car. I agree that this is probably a fad that will and should go the way of the Dodo. Just remember the painted bumper fad and all the people that had to re-chrome all their stuff when that fad died and their car's look was outdated.

Its a hot rod fad....especially with the vintage looking speed shops painted on the side.

I like unfinished hot rods.

I absolutely hate it when people go out of there way to make a nicer vehicle look ratty purposely.

The fenders and hood have more wear on them ..rubbing the paint off by leaning over them.... also the sun hits them directly....ultra violet light damage.
Thanks for the input. Still, I wonder why the top didn't fade as much. Thicker steel, perhaps? I've seen this on other cars, too.

It's a fad, like a lot of other deals.....that truck is waaay too much tho' IMO. Screw that rust look.....when original paint has been rubbed out down to the primer, I think that looks cool.... I dig that faded old style lettering on the door too....

A friend of mine has a '55 Ford truck delivery wagon deal......and it's been sitting since the 70's, when it was (I think) a dry cleaners truck.....faded lettering of the business on the side and all.....so frickin' cool...

-
Back