What do you use to winterize?

-
I make little pouches of diatomaceous earth and pour lemon oil or lemongrass oil on it and toss in the cars for the mice. The ones inside the barn, I crack the doors and hood and boot so as not to squish the weatherstripping. Make sure the antifreeze is good for the temp. I don’t use ethanol gas, but if I did, I would probably plug the fuel line and run the carb out of fuel

Fill the gas tank, add Sta-Bil, inflate the front tires to ~40 psi (parked on 2x10s), *** end up on jack stands, disconnect battery (green thumbwheel), start it & run it through the gears every week (about 5 miles (hence the jack stands)), and finally keep hoping for Spring to arrive sooner than later!!

When I used Irish Spring soap it was chewed into itsy bitsy pieces. I now use original bounce sheets and the blue Scrubbing Bubbles from Walmart. Kim
I've got the same kind of mice that you got. The dipshits chewed on all the bars I put on my pontoon boat and in my pole barn. Must be some kind of mutant mice we're getting up north. Lol

Hey ocdart,
In California winter means looking at the mountains to see if the big *** fire is coming.
How do you keep the smell of smoke out of your upholstery?

Dunno. My Dart isn't yet out of paint. Ask me next year. Hopefully the ash will stop falling long enough to get paint on the car and cured enough so the ash doesn't stick. LOL.
On our daily drivers we just keep the windows up.

When i see the mice outside i can tell the ones that have been in my car because the bounce fabric softener gives them a much fuller softer coat.

I keep it under two car covers with the windows down a few inches to let it breath. Car is always on a battery tender, and I run gumout in every tank of gas. Start it when I feel like it and the garage never gets below 40 degrees no matter how cold it gets, can crank the heat up if needed

I've seen people use bars of Irish Spring hand soap lad out in the interior and trunk etc. and it seems to work good to keep the pests and critters away.

They eat it.

irish spring does not repel mice.JPG

So, when the critter eats the soap does it die?
Get a full belly? Get sick? Move out? I mean really what happens besides your garage smells nice and your wife is pissed off because you took her soap.
Just because something eats soap does not mean anything. My mother would of been in jail for killing her three boys if you died from eating soap.

My theory is that young mice only eat Irish Spring soap on a dare.
Just like young people daring others to eat a Tide Pod.
It's just a fad..........

So, when the critter eats the soap does it die?
Get a full belly? Get sick? Move out? I mean really what happens besides your garage smells nice and your wife is pissed off because you took her soap.
Just because something eats soap does not mean anything. My mother would of been in jail for killing her three boys if you died from eating soap.
It means it doesn't work to keep mice away from your pride and joy that you've been working so hard on.

It is best to close the dash vents & make sure there are no rubber plugs missing in your trunk, floor or firewall.

Mice can get through many small places.

Why has this turned into a critter forum? This guy wants to winterize his car for storage. Stick to the real stuff.

Battery "tender", Sta-Bil "360" marine in tank and drive the car for 10-15 miles, this will prevent the gasoline from separating and the rust from forming in the complete fuel system. Gumout just cleans a fuel system with no protection. Sea foam only cleans parts in the system, good for most cleaning jobs but no protection to the fuel system with todays gasoline. Marvel mystery oil is great for air tools, inside a crankcase and other places when needed. It does not prevent anything but is a great lubrication and cleaner. What does two stroke oil in the tank do? It would be a good TOP oil but I do not think our classics need that, we have good valve guides now days.
Antifreeze does nothin, they out lawed ethanol glycol a long time ago so your girl friend or wife could not put it in your food or drinks. Moth balls only stink up the place. Buy the way can you still buy moth balls? Good smelling soap, and bounce sheets just attract critters. Look at the photo. Ya they ate the soap but they also ate the box and will come back for seconds latter on. Buy the way they live near you car, maybe even in it. If ya think you could have critters put out a poison like de con.
Weight off suspension. Now pay attention, just the weight off, not the tires free hanging. Keep the weight off all them rubber bushings.
Dry starts are bad. Its like starting a new motor with no cam lube. Gravity pulls most of the oil down into the oil pan. Just hand crank it a little bit once in a while. Your valve springs will apricate you. Prime the oil pump in the spring time before you start it and/or any time during the winter.
Now this is for us guys and gals that live where it snows, blows and gets cold. Hopefully you are blessed with a heated garage.

Why has this turned into a critter forum? This guy wants to winterize his car for storage. Stick to the real stuff.

Battery "tender", Sta-Bil "360" marine in tank and drive the car for 10-15 miles, this will prevent the gasoline from separating and the rust from forming in the complete fuel system. Gumout just cleans a fuel system with no protection. Sea foam only cleans parts in the system, good for most cleaning jobs but no protection to the fuel system with todays gasoline. Marvel mystery oil is great for air tools, inside a crankcase and other places when needed. It does not prevent anything but is a great lubrication and cleaner. What does two stroke oil in the tank do? It would be a good TOP oil but I do not think our classics need that, we have good valve guides now days.
Antifreeze does nothin, they out lawed ethanol glycol a long time ago so your girl friend or wife could not put it in your food or drinks. Moth balls only stink up the place. Buy the way can you still buy moth balls? Good smelling soap, and bounce sheets just attract critters. Look at the photo. Ya they ate the soap but they also ate the box and will come back for seconds latter on. Buy the way they live near you car, maybe even in it. If ya think you could have critters put out a poison like de con.
Weight off suspension. Now pay attention, just the weight off, not the tires free hanging. Keep the weight off all them rubber bushings.
Dry starts are bad. Its like starting a new motor with no cam lube. Gravity pulls most of the oil down into the oil pan. Just hand crank it a little bit once in a while. Your valve springs will apricate you. Prime the oil pump in the spring time before you start it and/or any time during the winter.
Now this is for us guys and gals that live where it snows, blows and gets cold. Hopefully you are blessed with a heated garage.
I agree with most all of this stuff. But Deacon for your car isn't a good choice. Mice have to go somewheres to die and inside your seat cushions isn't a good place for them. I do use d-CON in my pole barn though. It is really good stuff to get rid of them.

Just so you will know for the future. Sthl chain saw 2 cycle oil has stabilizer in it.
As for the critters you can oil up, trickle charge and unload the bushing all day or winter long. But you still need to protect against having wiring and upholstery chewed on.

Personally I like you use Lucas Engine oil treatment in my cars, tractors and skid loader so that I don't have dry starts during the winter or summer.

I agree with most all of this stuff. But Deacon for your car isn't a good choice. Mice have to go somewheres to die and inside your seat cushions isn't a good place for them. I do use d-CON in my pole barn though. It is really good stuff to get rid of them.
I agree with DeCon being a bad choice due to the fact that it is intended to ATTRACT mice and such with the intent that once eaten, it will kill them. We defintely want to keep critters away!

Klumppm, So your telling me that all this sweet smelling Irish Spring soap does not attract critters? But d-Con does?
They just eat the soap and die? Irish Spring is not poisonous. d-Con is.

Park it in a heated garage, put a cover on it, and for goodness sakes if you have a rodent problem call an exterminator...

I try to start them on the "warmer days" and let them fully warm up. Also, if the roads are clear of salt, I like to take them for a short ride to work the brakes. Other than that, not much. IF I have a street drag radials, I'll pull them off.

-
Back