What engine oil do you prefer,??.

-

barracudadave67

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I need to change my oil in my B-Cudas, and I know I need oil with ZDDP, cause of the flat tappet cams. My 67 Coupe has a hipo 273 with solid lifters, my 69 has a mild built 340, with Hyd lifters. Needless to say I want the engines to last. So give me some good ideas of what oils you guys are using, along with good filters. I ran out of my supply of "OLD" Valvoline 20W50. I have some Hughes Engines oil addative, with ZDDP. What do you use.

barracudadave67

Penzoil has a bad after taste to me. I prefer to drink Valvoline....

Brad Penn, Joe Gibbs, or switch to full synthetic racing.

I use Valvoline 10/30 with some Lucas additive.

For the past 3 years Royal Purple synthetic XPR 10- 40 , so far 14,000 hard miles , plenty of 7,000 rpm runs at the track . Used Valvoline VR 20 - 50 for break in . Used Total synthetic 10-40 after break in for 4,000 miles , but had to add ZDDP plus with that oil as it was low zinc .
I think if you have a mild cam any oil will do , but if your cam is over .500 lift with high spring pressure you really need the extra zinc .

This should be a sticky ? It gets asked every two weeks or less.(I'm sure I did :D )
15-40 Penn grade - 410 stroker 98% dragstrip use solid lifter so far so good....

Mobile 10w/30 Dino oil with ZDDP additive on flat tappet cams...

buy the oil at walmart .....ZDDP from Ebay....

mobil 1 synthetic 0w-40 viscosity is 10w-30 cold and just a bit thicker warm

[ame]https://mobiloil.com/~/media/amer/us/pvl/files/pdfs/mobil-1-oil-product-specs-guide.pdf[/ame]

OIL WITH FULL ZINC IN IT... Fark, how many times does this have to be said...
Also be WARNED!!! Some cam manufactures will not warrant a flat tappet cam failure during break in if you use synthetic oil...
I know people use synthetic oil, but they won't come over to your house and warrant the cam failure either :)

Yeah use synthetic in flat tappet motors. Say goodbye to your lifters when they quit spinnin.

-
Back