What gas do you put in your classic Mopar?

-

Shamrock--WV2NC

Reaction score
Ive been using non ethanol 89 but am thinking of switching to 10%ethanol 93. It’s cheaper and driving my car daily I would like to save on gas. It’s a 86 360 with Eddy carb.

What are y’all filling up with?

OE 5.9 Magnum changed to a carb set up. Will run on 89/10% ethanol, better, noticeably better on 93.

.030/360, aluminum top end, 252 solid flat tappet @ 11-1, 93/10% ethanol. No issues.

Fuel here isn’t as good as else where, so I noticed.
On the 5.9, 89 does very well when I fuel up out of state. 93 shows no better.

All pump fuel sold here has 10% ethanol.

OE 5.9 Magnum changed to a carb set up. Will run on 89/10% ethanol, better, noticeably better on 93.

.030/360, aluminum top end, 252 solid flat tappet @ 11-1, 93/10% ethanol. No issues.

Fuel here isn’t as good as else where, so I noticed.
On the 5.9, 89 does very well when I fuel up out of state. 93 shows no better.

All pump fuel sold here has 10% ethanol.

Yep.
I run my 5.9 with 9:1 on 10%/87 without any problems, but I'm also at 5,500ft elevation.
Using 92-93 I get just enough better fuel economy to offset the extra cost, so it kind of a wash for me.

Mine seems to like the non ethanol 90 octane. Here they call it Rec 90 and that's all I run. It's expensive though.

I like the REC 90 cause the nozzle is variable from the start, whereas the other nozzles jump right into a fast stream. You know how contrary these old girls are when you fill up with gas:BangHead:

IMHO...
I wouldn't worry about ethanol, since it is a daily driver, you'll run through the fuel before it can be an issue.

As for what I run.... Shell pump gas, whatever ethanal is in it, 85 octane, (I'm at 5100 feet and low compression stock 273, 2bbl)

Car sat in California with pump gas in it not run for 4 years. Fired right up. Only thing I did after I fired it up was add 1/2 tank of new gas to the 1/2 tank of old gas.

Last edited:
In my 69 360 Dart, 89 Non Ethanol. In my 68 416 Barracuda, 89 Non Ethanol plus octane booster. Non Ethanol has made my life sooo much better.

I run the cheapest regular E10 gas (85 octane here) I can get. 5.9 Magnum short block with Eddy aluminum heads, 9:1 compression and 222/226* @.050" hyd roller cam, 750 Street Demon carb. I can get ethanol-free gas but I drive my Duster 2-4 times a week so there's no real point. I also once tried a tank of 91 premium (gas pump had an error where premium was actually cheaper than regular or mid-grade), made no difference whatsoever in how it ran.

I'm sure a stock 1986 360 will run fine on regular, they were what 8.5:1 actual compression at best?

I run the cheapest regular E10 gas (85 octane here) I can get. 5.9 Magnum short block with Eddy aluminum heads, 9:1 compression and 222/226* @.050" hyd roller cam, 750 Street Demon carb. I can get ethanol-free gas but I drive my Duster 2-4 times a week so there's no real point. I also once tried a tank of 91 premium (gas pump had an error where premium was actually cheaper than regular or mid-grade), made no difference whatsoever in how it ran.

I'm sure a stock 1986 360 will run fine on regular, they were what 8.5:1 actual compression at best?

I had a similar cam running aluminum Eddies. But at 10.95 Scr and it still ran 87E10 at well over 180 psi cranking cylinder pressure, for about 4 years. Nice combo; tons of low-rpm torque, adequate midrange , if a little short of topend....... as compared to the 292/292/108 that preceded it,lol. Mine was a DD.

My favorite method is to put in five gallons of 100 octane leaded race gas, and then fill with 90 octane non-ethanol. My source for the race gas stopped handling it a couple of years ago, so now it's just the 90 with octane booster. Stock, original, '68 340. I've backed the timing off a couple of degrees to prevent detonation.

50/50 91 pump 100LL

I've been meaning to try it.

image.png

I usually run Sunoco 89 in my '69GT but it's only a "318." But 72Dart6pack, reminded me of our neighbors. Tom had bought a 65 Biscayne, 6cyl, stick. Before he bought it he kept bragging how good it should be on gas. He'd always had GM. Carl lived next door to Tom. Every other day(late night), or so he'd take his gas can and fill Tom's tank(keeping account of how much). When he(Tom) checked his mileage it was well into the high 20mpg's. Course Tom had to brag to all of us(Mopar/Ford owners). Carl continued for a few more weeks. Then he reversed it. Late night he would siphon a couple gallons back out. Needless to say, when Tom checked again, and mileage was down, the Chevy was the worst SOB, he'd ever owned. After a month, and before Tom took the car back to the dealer complaining, Carl told him. He took it in good humor and all of us had a good laugh.

I run non ethanol real gasoline in everything that has a carburetor. All are seasonal use though. I've burned more gas through the riding mower than the B'cuda this year ( sad but true).

Ive been using non ethanol 89 but am thinking of switching to 10%ethanol 93. It’s cheaper and driving my car daily I would like to save on gas. It’s a 86 360 with Eddy carb.

What are y’all filling up with?
What you should use for your car is fuel with high enough octane rating it doesn't knock (gurgling or pinging) at part throttle or full throttle when the engine is heat soaked. The timing can be shifted a bit up or a bit down when you've got it close. Up to possibly take advantage of the higher octane (if timing was octane limited) for better mpg, and down if its pinging.

E0 is better, but no guarentee, not to deteriorate older components made of rubber and not evapoate so much its lighter components while sitting or on a hot road. Its also generally better to use when the car isn't used regulalry.
For longer term storage, Avgas, racing fuel, small engine (4 cycle) are also good choices - at least to run in through the carb.
Those are not sold for use on the road. They are almost never sold with road taxes on them. If you do burn some of it off on the road, while we all understand, just don't advertise it. There's always a risk getting the place who sold it to you could get in trouble. Less so if its bought in cans, more so if its sold from a pump. You bought it for storage gas, or for racing, or your lawnmower/sno-thro, and that's it.

I filled mine up last with 90 octane ethanol free gas with lead substitute.

We have 92 non-alcohol at the pumps here. It's named "recreational gas" and I use it in the lawn mowers as well.

I fueled in The People's Republic of Madison (WI) a few weeks ago and all I could find was 87 octane Tofu...non-GMO. The pump was hooked up to a 300' tall wind tower. No animals were hurt during the dispensing of the fuel.

I work at a fuel terminal and the more important thing is to buy branded rec gas. Tankers where I work normally load 8800 gallons so if the whole tanker is loaded with branded rec gas it will have close to a gallon of additive in it versus unbranded which might have a pint. People say all the time that gas is gas but not true. There is a formula called "driveability" and places like S****z sell fuel that barely meets the minimum requirement. Always run branded gas whether rec or E10.

-
Back