What hp and torque am I making?

-
Here's mods to a stock 360 short block you should be 340-350hp.

Basically he did everything I did except the comp roller rockers and ported iron heads and made upper 300s in hp and gobs of torque.

BTW I thought I would say this. I've never built a engine from bare Block to starting it up. But from this forum and other great resources I was able to build it to the point of breaking in and running great. I feel great to break the engine build virginity.

Last edited:
That holdener video is very good on what can be done. Pretty realistic numbers for the build. The biggest gain was in the porting, no doubt, jumping 60hp with the small cam swap.

Right about in line with the 1.1hp/ci on a good tune up.

I agree with nice to get your hands on it. Makes things much better when you can turn the wrenches and the pride that comes with doing it.

That holdener video is very good on what can be done. Pretty realistic numbers for the build. The biggest gain was in the porting, no doubt, jumping 60hp with the small cam swap.

Right about in line with the 1.1hp/ci on a good tune up.
I might have to look into that!

Times are different now I guess. Us old timers used to get something else wet when losing virginity.
Well I have 2 kids so I've been there done that. I've done everything else to a car except build an engine and build a transmission. Well the transmission will never happen. Because I will buy the sst tkx kit. But it was nice to build a engine without taking anything to a machine shop.

Last edited:
I found out after this this video was made i pulled the valve covers and found all my valve seals are shot so those are all on order.
If they are shot absolutely replace them.

The valve seals? Hogwash! You're wasting your time with seals.
Surely you can’t be serious? He said they’re shot. If they’re shot you replace them. Unless you enjoy driving around and after every stop you marvel at the clouds of oil smoke at startup. :realcrazy:

If they are shot absolutely replace them.

Surely you can’t be serious? He said they’re shot. If they’re shot you replace them. Unless you enjoy driving around and after every stop you marvel at the clouds of oil smoke at startup. :realcrazy:
They are so shot the valve seals come off the seat and ride up the valve. After a minute of start up. Looked down one cylinder and the whole top of the piston was covered in oil.

They are so shot the valve seals come off the seat and ride up the valve. After a minute of start up. Looked down one cylinder and the whole top of the piston was covered in oil.
Well, I “assume” they are factory style seals? where the intakes should fit snug onto the guides and stay put while the exhaust seals float. When you say Shot, to me that means they would be hardened and/or all broken up in pieces. Were the heads rebuilt, refurbished? New valve guides (or actually liners) installed, or were they knurled?

Well, I “assume” they are factory style seals? where the intakes should fit snug onto the guides and stay put while the exhaust seals float. When you say Shot, to me that means they would be hardened and/or all broken up in pieces. Were the heads rebuilt, refurbished? New valve guides (or actually liners) installed, or were they knurled?
They are the factory seals. Most of them are pretty hard

What is the gear ratio and the planned tire size?

235/50zr17 raptor zr a/s tires

1663508723223642236822086194834.jpg

The tune will be about as important as the combo ......
Right now the way I have it setup my airfuel ratio gauge goes from 13.5 -13.2 at idle and about 13.8- 13.5 revving it. So the fuel trim looks good. I don't have to pump the carb to fire it up cold or hot. So timing is pretty good also.

Right now the way I have it setup my airfuel ratio gauge goes from 13.5 -13.2 at idle and about 13.8- 13.5 revving it. So the fuel trim looks good. I don't have to pump the carb to fire it up cold or hot. So timing is pretty good also.
maybe..... you won't know till it's in the car and you can drive it. Then, you let the engine decide where it's happy. Run stands, AFR, and the such are just tools. When the engine is in the car and under load, THAT is where the tuning begins. All else is just ball park.

maybe..... you won't know till it's in the car and you can drive it. Then, you let the engine decide where it's happy. Run stands, AFR, and the such are just tools. When the engine is in the car and under load, THAT is where the tuning begins. All else is just ball park.
Agree. It's going to be a bit for that that sst tremic kit ain't cheap. So will have to save up for that.

-
Back