What If Build Ideas...for Land Speed Racing

-
I will pose another thought. Bobby Isaac did 214-216 in 1971?? in the hemi daytona on the salt. What was so special about that car? What hp did they make in NASCAR trim? Gears? RPM? I know they went to the Daytona as aero was easier than hp.

Just think what a nascar engine has to deal with on tracks like Daytona and Talladega. Weren’t the Daytonas hitting over 200mph.

I will pose another thought. Bobby Isaac did 214-216 in 1971?? in the hemi daytona on the salt. What was so special about that car? What hp did they make in NASCAR trim? Gears? RPM? I know they went to the Daytona as aero was easier than hp.

Lol. We were posting about the same thing at the same time. But you beat me.

Lol. We were posting about the same thing at the same time. But you beat me.
Yes, I saw that too. They did it and it may behoove us to know their recipe, I again, am just getting my head around all of this. All that I have seen had single pot master cylinders as well. yikes.

So I am building a 68 Charger which is giving me all of the thoughts on this. It will get at least the C500 aero package. but the best solution would go Daytona just to help with the HP aspect:
Drag Coefficient:

Charger 0.484
C500 0.411
Daytona 0.28

Likely the best solution is just build the car, learn, go out and talk with people and come home to build a purpose built car - unless by some miracle, this one would be close to useable.

Just think what the nascar guys could do with those 40-50 year old combos today if the Raines were taken off. Better parts, better tires, better suspensions, computer programs. They could go scary fast.

Just think what the nascar guys could do with those 40-50 year old combos today if the Raines were taken off. Better parts, better tires, better suspensions, computer programs. They could go scary fast.
But again, to be fair, if it was easy, more people would be doing it. So there is something, a lot to it. And today's safety is much greater than them just having a huge set of balls.

But again, to be fair, if it was easy, more people would be doing it. So there is something, a lot to it. And today's safety is much greater than them just having a huge set of balls.

When I had my heart attack in 2000 I was taking some cardiac rehab classes. There was an older lady that noticed the racing shirts I was always wearing and asked if I raced. We talked daily after that and here her son built a salt flats car here in Pa. She brought In pictures and told me all about it. I wish I had written down her name so I could research how they made out over the years. She was a proud mother and so sweet.

When I had my heart attack in 2000 I was taking some cardiac rehab classes. There was an older lady that noticed the racing shirts I was always wearing and asked if I raced. We talked daily after that and here her son built a salt flats car here in Pa. She brought In pictures and told me all about it. I wish I had written down her name so I could research how they made out over the years. She was a proud mother and so sweet.
That is sad and great at the same time. Hopefully you are in good shape now. My father had one also in the early 2000's. Now I am having BP issues and was a cardiologist today even. Stress test and echo next week it seems. So, now is time to do some things I have dreamt about......

That is sad and great at the same time. Hopefully you are in good shape now. My father had one also in the early 2000's. Now I am having BP issues and was a cardiologist today even. Stress test and echo next week it seems. So, now is time to do some things I have dreamt about......

It’s not the end of the world. My doctor mentioned that I shouldn’t do millwright work in the steel mill anymore and we had a sit down. I said drawl up a plan of what you require me to do to get back to work so he did. Six months later I was back to doing everything that I did before. I have 3/4’s of a heart and my heart surgeon doesn’t even see my anymore for checkups. But he is there when I have stress tests. My family doctor handles everything and loves that I can still race. Heading out for another three day race weekend tomorrow.

It’s not the end of the world. My doctor mentioned that I shouldn’t do millwright work in the steel mill anymore and we had a sit down. I said drawl up a plan of what you require me to do to get back to work so he did. Six months later I was back to doing everything that I did before. I have 3/4’s of a heart and my heart surgeon doesn’t even see my anymore for checkups. But he is there when I have stress tests. My family doctor handles everything and loves that I can still race. Heading out for another three day race weekend tomorrow.
That's very good to hear! Dad is doing well also, just because I realized I didn't mention it.

So, I remember for NASCAR they needed 85hp to reach the speeds they wanted. Aero was cheaper and easier than more HP. How much equivalent HP did they achieve? I think the C500 hit 190 and Daytona hit 200+. Was that the 85hp or was it actually more?

So, what if...

You decided to go to Bonneville (Speed Week this week has me thinking). You guess you need 700-800hp to get your 68-70 B Body close to 200mph. You need to run WOT for about 5 miles a several times for licensing. What would you build for a motor? The cars are heavy typically by design for stability. It would seem less grueling than the Silver State Classic Challenge being this race is 93 miles of near WOT.

I saw a video where Pete Turk sprayed nitrous for a full 70 seconds!! I assume a very good rotating assembly, what would you use? Max wedge sized head ports?

Big Block N/A?
Big Block with boost?
Small Block for lots of RPM?
Cross bolted mains style block?
E85? Methanol?

Edit: Keeping a reasonable budget for an average poor guy.
Charger Datona with a Gen2 Hemi

• From the Talladega records book. This would have been a 358cid probably Ford since it was Wallace doing the driving.
  • Looks like a very well built small block paired with a great aero package is capable of getting the job done.

• June 10, 2004: Rusty Wallace, while testing a stock car without a restrictor plate for series sponsor Nextel to test communication capabilities, got an overall lap time of 44.27 seconds at 216.309 mph (348.116 km/h), beating Elliott's old record by more than seven-tenths of a second.[16] Wallace topped out at 228 mph in testing and said that speeds of about 235 mph were attainable.[32][33]

As suggested by landracing.com got this in the mail yesterday.

20230810_192130.jpg

Check out real street performance on YouTube. The owner Jay Meager is mostly an import guy but he’s got a few videos on his team’s land speed streamliner.

• From the Talladega records book. This would have been a 358cid probably Ford since it was Wallace doing the driving.
  • Looks like a very well built small block paired with a great aero package is capable of getting the job done.

• June 10, 2004: Rusty Wallace, while testing a stock car without a restrictor plate for series sponsor Nextel to test communication capabilities, got an overall lap time of 44.27 seconds at 216.309 mph (348.116 km/h), beating Elliott's old record by more than seven-tenths of a second.[16] Wallace topped out at 228 mph in testing and said that speeds of about 235 mph were attainable.[32][33]
He was still affiliated with Penske, who was running Dodges at the time.

turbo gen 3 or turbo a cammed up magnum if it blows it blows, swap in another.

turbo gen 3 or turbo a cammed up magnum if it blows it blows, swap in another.
The blowing up an engine at 150-200mph adds an excitement level I wish to try to avoid. It is always a possibility to grenade a motor, but not just spray and pray like some do.

Just kinda seems to me the big bore short stroke combination would work. You don't need torque to "get off the line". Once it's wound up, it needs to stay wound up. A modded 358 inch R5P7 deal could maybe fill the bill. Seems like parts are around yet for them. Upper end of a budget, I would imagine. Any combo you decide on is gonna be upper end of a budget for the type of racing done.

I read an article in HotRod years ago about a guy who had a ten second street camaro that ran 150 on the salt. A small block four speed car with a 9” Ford axle, the rear gears being the only change made between the strip and the salt.

To comply with the rules and go 200 mph at bonneville. You’ll spend 200 K + on a full fledge race car.

Just kinda seems to me the big bore short stroke combination would work. You don't need torque to "get off the line". Once it's wound up, it needs to stay wound up. A modded 358 inch R5P7 deal could maybe fill the bill. Seems like parts are around yet for them. Upper end of a budget, I would imagine. Any combo you decide on is gonna be upper end of a budget for the type of racing done.
All of it will be upper budget. I have no thoughts that a junkyard 360 with an Ebay GT45 or 2, will live. Could likely make close to the number, but for how long? The Gen 3 with a big turbo seems like the most budget friendly so far.

I read an article in HotRod years ago about a guy who had a ten second street camaro that ran 150 on the salt. A small block four speed car with a 9” Ford axle, the rear gears being the only change made between the strip and the salt.

To comply with the rules and go 200 mph at bonneville. You’ll spend 200 K + on a full fledge race car.
Oh, I think you are heavy on the $$$

Here is the the car Alex Taylor is running this year. Not her car but turn key for $50K This car has run 277mph

1979 Camaro for sale in Mesa, AZ

-
Back