What is, or would be your cb handle?

-
Nice boobs.
I thought RustyRat would be a decent CB handle, but if you prefer to be called, "NiceBoobs." Well, ok?

ShovelMonkey out.
I still remember riding on the back of my Grampa's Shovel Head, and his Old Spice smell at 40 mph down the country roads.
Not Panhead Monkey, not EVO Monkey. Thank you very much.

Couple of side stories.

I had had some problems with TV interference sometime back and had an old CB downstairs. So I brought it up so I could connect to my amateur antenna(s) and listen around. Turns out it was a CBer up the street more than a mile that was jackin up my TV

Now, this was in the early days of analog cellular, and I had an amateur VHF transceiver, which had a "secret menu" you could invoke, and listen up on the 800mhz cell freqs. This is before Congress made that illegal, which is another story

Anyhow I was pokin around one Saturday and here's a phone conversation about picking up "some lids" for a party and I thought "this is JUST too good to lose." I could not decide what else to do so I picked up the CB laying there and keyed the mike, rebroadcasting the cell conversation over channel 8--where some local kids hung out. Turns out one of the girls on there KNEW WHO IT WAS looking for the "lids"!!!

======================

The above kids called themselves the "channel 8 gang" and I guess maybe they did little harm. Kids, 4x4's drinking, parties. At the time I had the "skud missile" a 78 Ford LTD II with a HUGE home built amateur antenna and an Icom 751A on a home made mount in the center console. It was a fairly large radio to go mobile with.

View attachment 1716047982

Anyhow, I was parked in a local lot eating a burger, and listening to "the bunch" on 75 meters, and I see some of the "channel 8 gang" over behind me with a couple of rigs and some kids, and here comes one of them up to the car. He asked me "do I work for the FCC??" LOLOL

Yeh, right. I'm FCC and driving a beater 10 year old Ford with the vinyl roof peeled off

========================

More on the guy causing interference. As I said, I'd dragged a CB upstairs trying to figure out what was jacking my TV and had id'd the house where this was coming from. One night I was screwin around and the TV starts acting up so I went into the "radio shack" and there he was. I had (still have) a little military amplifier that will output an honest 900W all the way from 2--30 mhz. So I just loaded that girl up and keyed 'er down for about 30 seconds. Things got MIGHTY quiet for quite awhile. This guy was only 1--1 1/2 miles or so away, so it must have really knocked his receiver on it's ***

View attachment 1716047983

Military Delcon T-210. Uses 3 - 4CX-150 or 250B tubes, vacuum tuning capacitors. Not very many built
Ok...what are "lids" ?

Couple of side stories.

I had had some problems with TV interference sometime back and had an old CB downstairs. So I brought it up so I could connect to my amateur antenna(s) and listen around. Turns out it was a CBer up the street more than a mile that was jackin up my TV

Now, this was in the early days of analog cellular, and I had an amateur VHF transceiver, which had a "secret menu" you could invoke, and listen up on the 800mhz cell freqs. This is before Congress made that illegal, which is another story

Anyhow I was pokin around one Saturday and here's a phone conversation about picking up "some lids" for a party and I thought "this is JUST too good to lose." I could not decide what else to do so I picked up the CB laying there and keyed the mike, rebroadcasting the cell conversation over channel 8--where some local kids hung out. Turns out one of the girls on there KNEW WHO IT WAS looking for the "lids"!!!

======================

The above kids called themselves the "channel 8 gang" and I guess maybe they did little harm. Kids, 4x4's drinking, parties. At the time I had the "skud missile" a 78 Ford LTD II with a HUGE home built amateur antenna and an Icom 751A on a home made mount in the center console. It was a fairly large radio to go mobile with.

View attachment 1716047982

Anyhow, I was parked in a local lot eating a burger, and listening to "the bunch" on 75 meters, and I see some of the "channel 8 gang" over behind me with a couple of rigs and some kids, and here comes one of them up to the car. He asked me "do I work for the FCC??" LOLOL

Yeh, right. I'm FCC and driving a beater 10 year old Ford with the vinyl roof peeled off

========================

More on the guy causing interference. As I said, I'd dragged a CB upstairs trying to figure out what was jacking my TV and had id'd the house where this was coming from. One night I was screwin around and the TV starts acting up so I went into the "radio shack" and there he was. I had (still have) a little military amplifier that will output an honest 900W all the way from 2--30 mhz. So I just loaded that girl up and keyed 'er down for about 30 seconds. Things got MIGHTY quiet for quite awhile. This guy was only 1--1 1/2 miles or so away, so it must have really knocked his receiver on it's ***

View attachment 1716047983

Military Delcon T-210. Uses 3 - 4CX-150 or 250B tubes, vacuum tuning capacitors. Not very many built
600 watts bout as big as most truckers would run, on a side band thay could skip talk over 1600 miles, direct talk around 150 miles depending on terrain!! neighbor of mine run a elkins sweet 16 in his 4x4 cherokee thats 1600 watts, reckon he could bout out talk NASA!! worst interference i seen was north of knoxville at a lil truck stop off us11 we pulled in and cut truck and every thing off and was fixing to get out and some body keyed up and was coming threw our stereo speakers and gauges on dash went spasmaticly wild till thay were done, walked on in truck stop and sat down to order lunch and dam ol boy was coming in threw speakers in the jukebox!!! i gotta lil cobra 25 with lotta aftermarket and connex parts in it paired with a texas star 300 watt with 2 wilson 1000 antennas, no problems talking cross west texas!!

Last edited:
Back in the very early 70"s I had a 68-4-sd roadrunner that I put a souped 440 in, the CB craze was on and I didn't sign on. But most of my buddies had them and I would poke fun of them buy calling them the 10/40 suppositories. They really didn't like that, but I always out ran the cops without one anyway.

Ok...what are "lids" ?
You don't know what a "lid" is? Neither do I lol.

You don't know what a "lid" is? Neither do I lol.

An ounce of pot. IIRC, In the old days, an ounce was measured out on a large lid of a jar, hence the name.

jar had nothing to do with it, regular sandwich baggie full of pot to the point of just licking the flap and folding it over,..called it a lid! not a ounce ether,..closer to a 1/4 lb

“Cookie Monster”

My last name Cooke. Very NY-ish to add “IE” or add a “Y” on the end of everyone’s name. It’s a normal thing. Or shorten the name. Benjamin To Ben or Benny. Been called ether Cookie or Cookie Monster since the 3rd grade. Other times you got the name from your friends. My ol’buddy Charlie with filipino heritage was called Chink, my other buddy was clutzy and often made some really bad decisions, like picking up the school books that fell off the car seat while still in the turn and crashing the car while getting the books. Yea - a low wattage bulb, but an ace dude. Being Polish - Polock was his name. Then there was bonehead, double meaning there and both are 100% correct! Rizzotti got shorten to RIZ. The list really goes on and on.

Last time I was in town, I walked into the local watering hole, and very very much like the TV show Cheers, instead of “NORM!” It was “Cookie/Cookie Monster!”

Last edited:
Dad was Whiskeyniner, grandpa's house was GrasshopperBase. 1 ring on the phone meant jump on the CB someone wants to talk. Dad had a supermodified Craig base station with an ultra cool D104 mic. The coax was like 3/4" thick.

Boney Critter was mine by my friends, still have about 3 of them in a box somewhere

I didn't drive 'till the 80's but CB's were still in use by some "regular" car people then.

I was "Seek and Destroy" in my Coronets and then "Mean Green" in my 351c torino in the very early 90's.

Blast from the past. CB's got very popular shortly after graduating HS in '73. I had one in my first new vehicle- '74 PW. My handle was Night Stalker as Kolchak: The Night Stalker was one of my favorite tv shows. Used it for a lot of years and don't remember when I got away from CB's. :D SIL recently gave me a Cobra 29 that I put in my 4runner but sadly, it doesn't seem CB's get much use anymore. I would turn it on on the interstate during a 1 1/2 hr. drive to see a friend and would hear very little traffic.

I didn't grow up with cb's as they were on their way out in the 80's and 90's.
Watched all the cb shows. I remember all the old guys had cool stuff in their rigs and it was always fun to hear their bullshitting.
I drive all over the states and have a cobra that I keep with my truck. Problem is, since weed became legal in 14 and really when the outer states started getting Colorado weed it seems every time I cross the states I get pulled over. About 2 years ago I really was pissed and was really pretty much yelling at the state patrolmen for pulling me over again. One of them finally told me that the reason I get pulled over around the states is because one, my plates are COLORADO and the other reason is because I have a little bitty cb antenna on the top of my suburban.
They claim they pull over the pickups with antenna's as they are running interference for the big rigs.
I fit two profiled positions.
Since I stopped putting that in the truck, last year, for my trips I have not been pulled over yet.
I love cb's though.

Breaker Breaker 1. 9. for a radio check.....
Huntie breakin in for a check, come back at me.......

Most truck stops like Loves, Flying J, and Pilot still have extensive CB sections.

I just bought an antenna there a few months ago.

-
Back