what is the best bang/4/buck on mufflers for a stout 340?

-

340plot

the bushy bush
Reaction score
i have a stout 340 with tti headers, and i am going with 2.5 dual exaust. what is a good choice muffler? on the cheap but will hold up for some time?

dynomax are old news and HOOKER MAxflow Flow better or Bassani but I like the MAXFLOW...I know Dynomax says they flow like 1400cfm or something, but in this test it didnt show.
The results in HP order:
1.Flowtech Warlock (open) 374.2 hp/ 333.1 tq
2.Bassani Real Street 373.7 hp/ 333.8 tq
3.Hooker Maxflow 373.5 hp/ 333 tq
4.Borla XS 373.3 hp/ 332.6 tq
5.Magnaflow 372.8 / 332.5 tq
6.MAC 372.3 hp / 331.5 tq
7.Flowtech Afterburner 372.3 hp/ 330.1 tq
8.Hooker Aerochamber 372.1 hp/ 330.4 tq
9.Bassani 372 hp/ 333.5 tq
10.Spintech 371.6 hp/ 332.2 tq
11.Edelbrock Performer RPM 370.9 hp / 331.3 tq
12.Borla XR1 370 hp/ 334 tq
13.Flowtech Terminator 369.5 hp / 331.3 tq
14.Dynomax Ultra Flo 369.4 / 333.2 tq
15.Flowmaster 369.4 hp / 331.8 tq
16.Flowtech Warlock 366.3 hp / 325.3 tq
17.No muffs 365.2 hp / 330.1 tq

forgot which magazine did it

I don't know…… A big part of a muffler is the sound it gives. Sound is very subjective.

I do know that a bunch of people on here are running Dynomax Superturbos and are very happy. They are also very competitively priced.

i bought some thrush chamber mufflers from summit for my barracuda. think they were 30 a piece for 3". love em, they sound real good for the price!!!

Dynomax or magnaflows have used both of them and they sound excellent on a well built smallblock..

I run 2.5" Summit glass packs. Hard to beat the performance of straight through :D. Loud as hell! I think they were about $20 each. They've been on the car for a couple years now, no issues.

I will have to admit that they sounded better when I had them dumped at the rear axle, they drone a touch now at certain rpm's with the over the axle tailpipe set up. Could be because they end right before the stock tail panel, need to get some chrome tips and the tail panel with the cutouts. Still not nearly as bad Flowmasters though, those things sound like crap.

68hemigts your dart is one of the most beautiful things i have ever seen glad to see your using it for whats its for. KICKING SOME *** AT THE STRIP

Your local muffler shop will have (they should my does) a generic form of a turbo muffler as well as chambered muffler. They're cheaper and you don't have to pay shipping. Back yrs ago my muffler guy offered me a deal on some turbo mufflers. I told him that I already had the mufflers but by gosh his looked just like mine but without the name stamped in the casing!!

When I was in high school my friends and I used IMCO mufflers on our pickups. They were cheap and sounded great. I'm thinking of giving these a shot on my car. What I was told is that they use the same design as the original Flowmaster. IMCO is also the company that makes the cherry bomb products.

IMCO is also the company that makes the exhaust kits that summit and Jegs sell. The kits come with mandrel bent pipes and IMCO turbo mufflers for a little over $200.

I put this exhaust on my car last winter in place of the compression bent pipes and Flowmaster 50 series mufflers. Can't tell and difference in power as measured by the butt dyno but the turbo mufflers are quiter at cruise and have a smoother tone than the Flowmasters.

I accomplished what I set out to do; quiet the car down when cruising while not adversely impacting the power and still have a sound that says muscle car.

I like the hooker Aero chamber mufflers. They are heavy duty built and they sound good.
Probably $70 a piece through summit but will last a long time. My buds got a set that is 11 years old on his big block chevy truck. They sound great! BTW, a crossover pipe really "quiets" the sound and mount the mufflers all the way to the back b4 the bumper.
More power and better sound. (IMO, not that it matters...)

i got thrush welded not turbo its great and makes my 318 great.

43$ shipped to cali! summit

and there aluminized steel thats really rust resistant

Spin Techs sound great if you want something loud. I think Magnaflows are a good compromise. Not to loud and they don't seem squash the power.

-
Back