What is this (727 extension housing)?

-

mopowers

Reaction score
What is this on the end of the extension housing? Some type of shield or something? Is it removable? I've never seen one of these before.

upload_2022-4-6_20-31-17.png

Some drive shafts have a huge round weight like the size of a harmonic balancer built into the trans slip yoke.

Screenshot_20220406-220121.png

Last edited:
Just a vibration damper. They put those on the bigger cars with really long drive shafts.

Probably explains why the trans in my Dart has one I was told my 440 and trans was from a motorhome

And the ole Powerflite/cast iron Torqeflite had a cast iron brake drum hanging off the back! It was the parking brake.

If you decide to keep that weight, make darn sure it clears everything- I have had slip yokes that would contact the weight when the suspension compresses, resulting in a "mystery vibration" that would come and go...
Disconnect the driveshaft, put the trans in neutral, and push the slip yoke all the way into the tailshaft. Now turn it- sometimes you can feel the yoke touch the weight as it spins, or even see witness marks on the weight and or yoke. If you do, clearance grind the weight (NOT THE YOKE), or just remove the weight entirely.

Used on "C-bodies", and Motor homes. Compensation for long Drive shafts!

Will not hurt to have it!

Also on my 904 in my Magnum and Cordoba.

Probably completely uneeded in an A and to put it another way, since you are completely changing the dynamics of the car "it is in" it is likely not optimum, anyhow

Yes uneeded but WTF! Just get it on with it!

-
Back