What is this on my valve cover

-

SnowDrifter

Reaction score
The topic says it all what is the thing on the valve cover

20201008_165854.jpg

Time to roll out the 'ol "this thread is useless without photos............."

They usually swing out over to the fender and are secured there as well. This is an early pic as the MC is a single pot.
S5olsfqanyLC6E7yC3Hb8GHDwq-rbR0rdvWhIydrCu_B5Ty3jKLSYpr_9nGGtBiQmo53OVg8O8K1U1WpQR51OzQ-EzpqpWLP.jpg
042-1965-Dodge-Dart-GT-Covertible.jpg

Did the finned valve cover models get the extended heater hose brackets on the fender? I remember my 65 'S' had them out there.

Does someone have a picture of how it works
No, but I remember how to install the thing.
One way is;
You remove the strap from the saddle and drop it over your hoses. Insert the one end of the strap into the saddle, crush the hoses and then slip the second end also into the saddle, then release the hoses. When the hoses are full, they will tighten the assembly up. It's actually pretty ingenious.
Another way is to just lift the strap and thread the hoses thru it.

On my 360 I ran the heater hoses along the valve cover

Is there any reason I need to use this alternator bracket. can't I just mount it like I did on my 360.

I had trouble with the fan belt spacing on my 360 Finding the right pulleys to lineup. That water pump pulley is 2 singles welded together

20201009_094133.jpg

20201009_094441.jpg

They usually swing out over to the fender and are secured there as well. This is an early pic as the MC is a single pot.
View attachment 1715609110View attachment 1715609111
Did the finned valve cover models get the extended heater hose brackets on the fender? I remember my 65 'S' had them out there.
Not according the factory photos I've seen that were taken back in 1966. No bracket was used on the non-A/C 273 engines that I've been able to determine.

Not according the factory photos I've seen that were taken back in 1966. No bracket was used on the non-A/C 273 engines that I've been able to determine.
This did have AC originally I'm assuming because there Was an air conditioning core

I have another valve cover without that bracket maybe I'll just use it for a cleaner look.

Is there any reason I need to use this alternator bracket. can't I just mount it like I did on my 360.

I had trouble with the fan belt spacing on my 360 Finding the right pulleys to lineup. That water pump pulley is 2 singles welded together

View attachment 1715609376

View attachment 1715609376

View attachment 1715609377

View attachment 1715609377

Looks like you have a mismatch of parts. The power steering belt usually just goes to the crank pulley and not around the water pump on the early models engines. A/C and non-A/C engines use completely different brackets and pulleys and trying to mix and match can be a nightmare. Cast iron and aluminum water pump engines also used completely different brackets and pulleys too, so, you can see what a mess of a mix you can get into.

Looks like you have a mismatch of parts. The power steering belt usually just goes to the crank pulley and not around the water pump on the early models engines. A/C and non-A/C engines use completely different brackets and pulleys and trying to mix and match can be a nightmare. Cast iron and aluminum water pump engines also used completely different brackets and pulleys too, so, you can see what a mess of a mix you can get into.
I remember trying several combinations on my hot rod 360. I had a bunch of pulleys finally got it figured out after welding 2 together

I like it without that bracket because everything's tucked in tighter

Where was the AC compressor on that car Would mounting the alt my way of efect the AC compressor mounting

Is there any reason I can't run it like this all I need is alternator no AC no smog pump no power steering

Yes I need to add arm for bracing and one arm for adjuster

20201009_125129.jpg

-
Back