What is this pulley and bracket for?

-

jrlegacy23

68 Barracuda
Reaction score
When I bought my 1970 Dart 3 years ago, the previous owner had this pulley and bracket in the trunk. He told me that it was like gold and difficult to find. I know it is some sort of idler pulley, I think he possibly said for power steering bypass with A/C. It would be nice if some one could tell me what it was, and approximate value. It has stayed in the trunk and works well. Any help is appreciated, thanks in advanced:

Attachments

• pulley.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 395
Looks like the tensioner for the water pump on a big block. The A/C runs dual matched belts on the alternator for that application and the P/S is a single belt.

is it forsale? and how much do you want for it? I'm sure I could find a use for it. looks adjustable?

It is in fact, the water pump idler on a 70 up smallblock with AC and no power steering. They are very rare!

It is in fact, the water pump idler on a 70 up smallblock with AC and no power steering. They are very rare!

Ahhhh! That explains the little sleeve made into it. I had not seen that before.

is it forsale? and how much do you want for it? I'm sure I could find a use for it. looks adjustable?

It will be for sale. I am not sure as to how much.I am not looking to get rich, but I don't want to give it away either.

Thanks for the info, what is it worth? I think the guy I got it from said he paid $100, not sure if I remember that correctly.

I had a 1970 340 duster with ac and manual steering and it did not have that. why would we need it? run a shorter belt and adjust it. first thing I did was junk the ac. worth about $20

I had a 1970 340 duster with ac and manual steering and it did not have that. why would we need it? run a shorter belt and adjust it. first thing I did was junk the ac. worth about $20

With AC you have a pair of matched belts, running the rear 2 grooves of the crank pulley, the AC compressor and the double groove pulley on the alternator. The short front belt goes around the crank pulley, the water pump pulley, and the power steering pulley which has the adjustment. Without the PS pulley, you have no way of adjusting the water pump pulley. In my old Goodyear belt application book it lists needing a 13371 belt. I cringe every time I see a nice old Mopar that has factory AC and has all the underhood stuff missing. I like to drive my 67 Dart with the R12 system intact. Most often when somebody rides with me they ask me to turn it down! Like (Damn it's cold in here!). Just my thought.

My 67 273 a/c car has the same bracket. If he paid $100 he was robbed or desperate

The 67 system is not the same as the 70 and up. It all goes back to the cast iron water pump, 69 and earlier. On that setup 1 belt runs alt, water pump to crankshaft, a narrow 13 series belt. The AC belt (1) a 17 series belt, just goes to the crank and the adjustable idler and a smaller idler that runs on the backside of the AC belt that mounts in front of the PS bracket. Then 1 belt that runs the PS. Any one can be run without the others. In other words the 69 and earlier idler is not the same as the 70 up one.

You are correct. There is a Duster here that has that Idler. This car had manual steering but power steering was added. It was left on the motor so it don't get lost. I offered buy yours for a spare. $100 is way to much for me. Give me a realistic price or trade for whatever? Steve

Attachments

• DSCN0162[1].jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 333
I wouldn't go lower than $75-$80....if nobody wants here eBay has millions of viewers and then it goes to the highest bidder....that's a pretty rare part.

My dad has a 74 360 Cuda that has AC and manual steering and has the same part.

-
Back