What is your favorite Baseball Movie and Why?

-
Sandlot. In large part due to the guys I grew up with. The guy with oversized shirt in the upper left did pitch in the big leagues. I'm at the far upper right. The dog belonged to the guy who took the pic (older gentleman who lived in the house next to the dead end street we used to play ball in). Still have some contact with the guy wearing the batting helmet. Somehow I wound up with the pic.
Our sandlot.jpg

I really don’t have one favorite I enjoyed pretty much all that are listed. The line I liked in FIel of Dream was when Shoeless Joe Jackson said “Ty Cobb wanted to play, We didn’t like the son-of- a-***** when he was alive. So we told him to stick it!” My wife liked the line when the wife was at the PTA meet and they wanted to ban some books and she said to one of the women “you nazi cow.”
Sandlot reminded me when I was a kid. The street we lived on before moving to the country had a big median down the middle that the neighborhood kids played baseball in. That’s were my two older cousins helped me to learn baseball. We lived in a duplex, my family on one side and cousins family on the other side.
I started early. Guess my folks wanted my to be a baseball player.
182D6FB2-B4DD-4DDC-B671-2D688E57A5F0.jpeg

FYI : The Natural was Robert Redford not Paul Newman.
In Field of Dreams Archibald “Moonlight” Graham was a ball player and a doctor from Chisholm Minnesota. He played in one game 1905 with the New York Giants.

Has to be Slapshot! First R-rated movie I snuck into. Ok not baseball but I love hockey!

Sandlot. In large part due to the guys I grew up with. The guy with oversized shirt in the upper left did pitch in the big leagues. I'm at the far upper right. The dog belonged to the guy who took the pic (older gentleman who lived in the house next to the dead end street we used to play ball in). Still have some contact with the guy wearing the batting helmet. Somehow I wound up with the pic.
View attachment 1715907492
Little Jimmy Lusk. lol Hot dog, Jim, that's a great picture!

The Stratton Story with Jimmy Stewart.

I like Strategic Air Command with Jimmy Stewart. He plays a Cardinal infielder (he wasn't) and a B-47 pilot (he was). Some great aircraft for those who enjoy them.

If you're looking for an old baseball movie, try The Winning Team from 1952 starring Ronald Reagan as Grover Cleveland Alexander, Doris Day as his wife Aimee, and Frank Lovejoy as Rogers Hornsby.
Good fictionalized biography of Grover Cleveland Alexander.

Moneyball…. plus it has some great lines. That scene where David Justice is being schooled in the batting cage is priceless.

-
Back