What is your strangest junk yard story.

-
It's true Mullinax.

Good old Mr Turak was a wildman.

He once bought a bunch of wild burros "donkeys" from Mexico really really cheap.

He told my father in law he could have then for his farm since they got loose, all he had to do was catch them.

So he sent my wife and her brothers out into the 3000 acre woods to look for them.

My wife was the oldest at age 13 at the time.

Her brothers were 12 and 10.

They ended up playing in the woods and were chasing eachother when all the sudden three of theese crazy burros started hee hawing and chasing them.

The kids got really lucky and found a large, suitable tree to climb while the borros held them at bay for hours in the immediate area.

Their Dad came looking for them at dusk and they heard his yells and directed him to the tree they were in.

At this time, the burros had been gone for about a half hour but the kids were too scared to get out of the tree.

There was always something like that going on with old Mr Turak.

I remember the time he called me down to his farm to shoot some coyotes that killed his goats.

He was tired of his goat being killed coyotes that the state introduced to kill off the large deer population that he built his fence higher with a one way door so they could get in but not get out, very ingenious.

He then had an inner cage with a goat in there for bait that the coyotes could see but not get to.

He called me and told me he had trapped six coyotes and had no ammo to kill them with.

I gladly went down there with a full 30 round mag and my Kalashnikov.

Sure enough, there were six of those coyetes hell bent on getting that goat and paid us,"Me and Mr Turack", no attention at all and were surrounding the cage with the goat going out of their minds trying to get at it.

I fired six shots carefully aimed and killed them all.

I wanted to get them badly since I believe they are the animals that shredded my dog a week earlier in my back yard.

I really wanted to empty the magazine, but I did not want to wildly fire and risk a ricochet or a badly aimed round into something important like a dodge dart or plymouth valiant.

when i got my 72 duster i took the back seat out and under the seat was a 38 special. this was my grandmothers car and she says she has no idea how it got there.

Whoa, that's wild.

Maybe Gramma was a closet bounty hunter.
Ya know how older people sometimes don't want to admit certain things to the grandkids. ha, ha.

I had an old blue van (we don't need to discuss the maker!) and my front seats were badly worn out. I was driving along and spotted some hulk of metal in a farmers field. I stopped and walked in between the trees and there was a van, just like mine, but completely smashed up and rusted, with perfect front seats...in blue! There was nobody around..just me and God and I found a wrench and those seats lived happily ever after in my van after that!

Several years ago my wife, two young daughters and I were driving home from a trip to a car auction in Montana. Alongside the road was an old country junk yard. Everything there was 4os and 50s stuff. Some were old Mopars so I had to stop for a look. The owner didn't answer the door but I walked around a while and admired most of the old iron and headed back toward the pickup when I noticed a 1948 Chrysler that was still in really good shape. Peeked through side window at the interior which didn't even have a rip! I noticed the safety clutch which caused me to think, "I wonder what this baby has for an engine?" I opened the door, pulled the hood latch and went around front where I had to bend over to figure out what sort of safety catch was keeping the hood from opening completely. Of course I quickly discovered the latch and still bent over, raised the hood to get a look. The view was a close up look at a pair of racoon eyes! Our noses were about three inches apart! Startled, I jumped up, slammed the hood and jumped back. Once I had stopped shaking enough to unlatch the hood again and repaet the hood opening procedure I found the old beauty to have an inline L-head 8. When I got back to the pickup my wife and daughters were sitting there laughing like crazy. My oldest daughter, in grade school at the time, said, "I don't know who's eyes were bigger, yours or that coon! Do you want me to get you some pants out of the suitcase?"

Last year a friend of mine told me I can have a 71 dart that was his mother in laws. I went to look at it. It was a 71 2-door Dart swinger with a slant 6. Back half was totally rusted out from doors up was in good shape, but what I thought was odd for a slant six car was it had the GT interior. bucket seats, center console, rallye dash, GT steering wheel. It had been at his house for about 5 years, and we put a battery in it put gas down the carb. and it fired right up. I ended up getting $200 and this car for it.

258372093.jpg

258372086.jpg

Me and a buddy decided to build a clone of his half-brother's 53 Stude Starliner coupe. It had a 327 Vette motor and a 3-speed overdrive. We decided to go a few better on the interior and went for bucket seats. While my pal was stripping the dash from a Hawk, I found a 65 Rustang fb on the top of a three car stack. With no good working definition of fear and a couple of wrenches, I climbed up. Got the passenger seat out with no problem. Naturally it was the last bolt on the driver's side that was giving me fits. I kept pulling on the wrench until the bolt suddenly gave way. I slammed across the car into the (thankfully) closed passenger door. Even though I had quit moving, something else hadn't. The car slowly slid off the stack and crashed onto the ground with me in it. I cleared my head, threw the seat out the window, and took my buddy's hand to climb out. No one from the office ever came out. We carried our prizes up to the office, paid for them, and left. No comments or questions. Last time I ever rode in a Mustang til the Cobra R came out.

Years ago (1983) in out in nowhere Texas I found what I thought was a light metallic blue 1968 2 door Belvedere that was missing the whole front clip.
The junk yard owner told me that a local kid had hit a power pole dead center in 1978. He added that the front end was at his mom's house outside of town. One thing led to another and I was there. The car was towed home after the accident and they torched the front end off at the firewall to get the engine and tranny out so they could put it in another car.
You know the best ideas go awry. The engine was busted because the front bumper had crushed the water pump.
He had blown the original motor just after he got the car and threw a junkyard motor in it that ran pretty good. After a couple of months they had what was left of the car hauled to the junk yard. The kid was killed later on in another accident.
I made a couple of phone calls and a friend of a friend of a friend ended up coming from Michigan to get the whole car.. including the Hemi with a broken piston that was laying out in the barn.!
I was later given a finders fee for finding the car. I sent it to his mother because she needed it more than I did. I was just running the back roads killing time as I did not have to be in El Paso for 2 days.
Little did I know what it would be worth now. Just like all the 71 Hemi Cuda converts that I could have ordered new at dealer cost!

I went to look at some seats for my Dodge van that a guy had advertised.
While looking at the seats I saw the motorhome frame next to the house and asked what happened to the body. He said he was going down the freeway when someone cut in front of him and slammed on the brakes, when he slammed on his brakes the entire body of the motorhome launched and landed in the ditch leaving him sitting in the open. I checked and smelled the seats for stains but didn't find any so I bought them.
Bruce

Well this didn't happen to me but a good friend. Back in 78 when my buddy Jimmy got his license his parents bought him his first car. A Gremlin. It ran as good as a Gremlin could but needed a muffler. Back then you didn't go to the auto parts store to get a muffler cause they cost $20-30. You went to the local junkyard and spent half a day looking for a decent one that would fit for $2-3. Well Jimmy finally found one and took it up front and paid the guy and put it in the hatchback and headed for home. When he got home he opened the hatchback and pulled out the muffler and started getting ready to put it on. He just happened to look down the input end and pretty big black snake stuck his head out and was only about 3-4 inches away from Jimmy's nose hissing. I think Jimmy just about crapped his pants as he yelled "Oh ****" and spun around and launched that muffler as hard as he could. It went almost across their yard before it landed and their yard was a good 75-80 feet wide. It's amazing how strong you get when scared.

It's been quite a few years now, but a buddy and I took a hot day off and went junk yarding. We went to several that day, and for the last one, we decided to get a 12 pack of beer. In a large open area of the yard, we were walking together looking over a part we were debating when all of a sudden a Pilgrim walked up behind us and commented on the part we had. We quickly looked at each other with startled faces then looked back and the Pilgrim was gone. I saw a figment of my friends imagination that day.

about a month and a half ago i went out to my local pick in pull and found my old 1966 new yorker. it was stripped of the 440 and 727. it really sucked seeing it gutted like that. it made my cry a little. when i owned it it was red on red with all the fly option; i had built the motor and the tranny myself, i also had the rear end rebuilt and suspension redone and a nice duel flowmaster system put on it. but when i found it all that was gone; it was just a big flat black painted carcase with most of its chrome and stainless yanked. it was my first car that i owned and built when i was 18 till 24. the odd part is that i found it and had sold it back in 2004. that day hurt.

Several years ago an old roommate of mine was way into air cooled volkswagens, he found an old head in the neighbor hood who gave him a complete 71 super beetle minus motor and transmission, perplexed at how he was going to get it home. It had 4 flat tires, and no brakes so towing was not an option. We milled it around over a few cold beers (40's) and decided it would be a good idea to load it in the back of my K-5 blazer. The tools came out and the top as well as the tailgate were removed. With some help from a few other rednecks it was shoved in the back of the blazer and held in place by a drunken roommate and two bungee cords. Our neighbors loved us.

Florida here, pick a part, high grass. Laying in the wet mud/grass, taking throttle linkage off the tranny. My favorite sound; aggravated rattle snake. Turn my head, 2 feet from my head. I got out from underneath there, but I was bloody from hitting the under carriage too many times,, lol. Buddy says" what?" I say rattler. He hauled azz.

Florida here, pick a part, high grass. Laying in the wet mud/grass, taking throttle linkage off the tranny. My favorite sound; aggravated rattle snake. Turn my head, 2 feet from my head. I got out from underneath there, but I was bloody from hitting the under carriage too many times,, lol. Buddy says" what?" I say rattler. He hauled azz.

What yard?

Not as cool as some of your stories, but I was out looking for some parts at the local pick n pull when this tweaker guy approached me and asked me if I could pull a radiator out of an intrepid for him. I told him I didn't have time and he told me he'd give me $20. I told him to give me the money up front and I'd do it and he handed it over. I started pulling the radiator out and he started getting all paranoid for some reason and halfway through he just said nevermind and took off running lol. I didn't end up getting anything from the yard but at least I made $20.

I just have one, and it not crazy, just more of a "son of a *****" story.

A good friend of mine has a business going for selling old BMW parts. He sells anything and everything from 80s BMWs. All parts collected from scouring pick-n-pulls. I should also mention that he's half mexican half white, but wouldnt be mistake for anything other than mexican.

So one day i came up to hang out with him and he needed to get a new starter for his bmw.(last owner installed a new starter with one bolt and duct tape)

We get to the entrance and there is a long line of like 20 people, all hispanic looking guys except me. My friend realizes this and yells "would these f*cking (mexican racial slur: W B's) hurry up!". Then of course everyone in the line turns to look angerly at the one white "racist" Ahole in line.(me)

Yes, this friend has a twisted sense of humor.

I was at a local yard looking for a 73 dart that was supposed to have disk brakes. Found the Dart and near it was a couple guys banging something on the ground. Turns out it was a 5' cottonmouth snake and it was right next to where I would have to lie down to look under the car at the brakes, where there was grass growing. Phew, close one.

Out in front was a 66 Dart GT in pretty good shape with a dressed up 225 and console automatic - $2500. Was tempted.

Twenty some years ago, I was in a yard pulling a heater part from under the dash of a 64 Belvedere. Laying on my back, head under dash, feet on the seat. Felt something brush my chest and glanced down and saw wiring harness. A short while later, the brushing seemed to have a heavier feel. Glanced again, and saw wiring harness. Moments later, it occurs to me that this wiring harness seemed to move. Looked again, this time paying a little bit of attention, and watched that wiring harness slither across my chest and out the open door. Got out and investigated, and found out that "wiring harness" was a six foot blacksnake. Took me a few minutes to get up the nerve to go finish where I left off!

-
Back