What k Member do I need

-

rudmover

Reaction score
OK I have a set of wheels I want to run on my 68 Barracuda. The fronts are 15x7.5 with a 4.25 backspacing. I have been told that the tires will contact the sway-bar. If this is true will the later spool type k alleviate this problem because of the different sway-bar? And while I'm here maybe someone could chime in on what is the optimum width for my rear axle.I will be running 15x8.5 (same 4.25 backspace)I am cuttin down a surgrip 3.23 axle out of a roadrunner so I can go whatever.I can inboard the rear springs if needed as well.
Any input is good input, I also don't mind getting flamed for run on sentences bad punctuation or any other written language fubars

Are the wheels big bolt pattern? Meaning 5 x 4.5"?

If I'm not mistaken the 73+ K members have spool mounts and the lower control arms allow for a narrower sway bar that runs inside of the K frame. Meaning the sway bar is mounted inboard a few inches. While you are at it get the 73+ upper control arms and disc brakes it's a bolt on swap. Hope this helps.

I don't think you will contact the sway bar. I ran 15x7 rims with 4.25" backspacing on a 68 Barracuda with 68 sway bar and didn't rub with 225/60/15 tires. The car had been converted to large bolt pattern brakes with the appropiate 73-76 spindle and disks/hubs. That setup is supposedly a little wider than a 68 style small bolt pattern disk. But my tire were not close to rubbing with those tires.

Now that is a lot of tire for that setup and may rub your fenders. Some people have had issues.

Are you sure it's a 15" with 7 1/2" wide rim? That's sort of an oddball width. What rims are they?

Are the wheels big bolt pattern? Meaning 5 x 4.5"?

If I'm not mistaken the 73+ K members have spool mounts and the lower control arms allow for a narrower sway bar that runs inside of the K frame. Meaning the sway bar is mounted inboard a few inches. While you are at it get the 73+ upper control arms and disc brakes it's a bolt on swap. Hope this helps.

The 73+ sway bar setup is narrower and give you more tire to sway bar clearance. But in my experiance with stock 68 (67-72) sway bar setup and large bolt pattern swap there wasn't rubbing with 225/60/15 or smaller tires.

Thanks Guys, I do have the later big bolt disc brake upgrade so It sounds like I should be fine. I know most people seem to advocate for the spool mount style but I like the option of using taller truck style motor mounts to help with clearance issues being I want to keep the power steering(with the pump shimmed for less assist) along with headers. I also really like to see a big fat sway bar out front of the K member.
The wheels I'm going to use are a bit odd. I originally found the rear pair and got them for next to nothing of of ebay. They are 40 finned turbine style that are deep dished. I had to do a lot of searching to find a set of fronts to match but finally another member here sent me three so I got a matching spare. They are definitely 7.5 wide though so I may have to get creative with the front. If there's any interest I'll post some pics. I had to get out the old die grinder and the flap wheel to clean up some dings and gouges But I think they turned out pretty sweet. I will be having them powder coated at some point, I think they will look like new.

I think I know the rims you speak of. I used to have set and wish I still did. I had them on a 72 slant barracuda.

if you are considering moving the springs inboard you wont have to narrow the rear , your car has plenty of room in the wheelwells , putting a 66-70 b body rear in an abody is a popular option , contact Cass @ Doctortdiff.com , he is really helpful & a wealth of info & should have any parts you need , you dont have to change your k frame either .

-
Back