What leafs do you guys use?

-

74scamp360

Reaction score
Hey guys i'm in the process of doing a /6 to 360 swap in my scamp and i will obviosly need to look at changing my suspension parts. My question to you guys it what leaf springs have you guys used on you cars. I would like a bit of an aggressive stance but don't want it to be cheesy you know. If you guys could let me know what you use and post a pic. that would be awesome. Just an FYI i don't know if it matters but i'm planning on likely using KYB gas adjust shocks. Thanks guys!!!!

I did the same swap but updated my leaf springs instead of buying them. I bought some leaf spring bolts from the auto parts store and found some thick old truck springs laying around and put a few of those leafs in my own springs. It really stiffened up the rear, gave me the stance that I wanted, and cost about $7.

I used to get some lower leafs off a B-Body, and install them on the bottom.
Just like a traction bar.

I picked up a pair of XHD from the dealer,I got the left one in 2 days and just got the right one(after waiting 7 weeks)pretty slow eh!I,m still waiting on the spring relocation kit.These cost me $149 each plus tax,part #s
left P4510269
rightP4510268

I guess there having problems with everything being changed with having new owners/Fiat and Dodge closing up.I would order now if your planning on buying some for a winter project.Or you can purchase across the border,but will pay dearly for shipping.Good Luck!

Thanks man, i actually work at a local chrysler dealer (car deatiler/shop bit%$) and i know all about the backorder problems. Once you have them installed on your car i'd love to see a pic to see how it sits. I want a nice stance you know but not cheesy like they used to do. anyways thanks pettybludart!!

any of you guys have any pics. of your cars with mopar SS springs in it?? I'd like to see how it sits. Also what shocks you use? Thanks guys

i got xhd leafs from mancini racing. i'm In CA, so shipping is what made the price higher. they cost me $295 total, shipped to my door. haven't installed them yet, still doing some other stuff, but 295 is the best price I could find A-body XHD springs. I also did research and found that KYB gas-a-just shocks are pretty good shocks. and price is right..got my shocks all the way around from amazon for 33 bucks each.

I was debating whether to get the SS springs or not, but those are for real hardcore drag racing from what I found. XHD's should be good IMO for a 360

search "pics of darts with SS springs" or something along those lines and you'll find a thread i started awhile ago...SS springs may jack your car up some, but if you are reusing the stock hangers and not relocating your springs, you can flip your front hanger upside down to drop the rear end some...if you look in that thread i mentioned there are some pics of cars like that and they look good...my opinion though is to just get your old set and add a leaf and add some clamps to the front segment and only one on the back...cheap, easy and works

search "pics of darts with SS springs" or something along those lines and you'll find a thread i started awhile ago...SS springs may jack your car up some, but if you are reusing the stock hangers and not relocating your springs, you can flip your front hanger upside down to drop the rear end some...if you look in that thread i mentioned there are some pics of cars like that and they look good...my opinion though is to just get your old set and add a leaf and add some clamps to the front segment and only one on the back...cheap, easy and works
How long do you think 1 added spring will last while racing?Not to long with hard launches I bet,tires are expensive.This may work on a street car as a band-aid til you could afford new ones.My 2 cents.

thanks pettybludart, that was what i was thinking, the tires i'm look at are nearly 200 a peice so i'm not looking at just lighting them up off the line, plus when i say mine are toast they really are.

thanks pettybludart, that was what i was thinking, the tires i'm look at are nearly 200 a peice so i'm not looking at just lighting them up off the line, plus when i say mine are toast they really are.
That espo link would be the way to go, if you want them by next week?HaHa!Dang dealerships are slow!!I would have went that route,had I known.:read2:

those espo guys don't have any leafs listed for my car (74 scamp)???? am i missing something?
They probably won,t have a listing for a 74 Scamp,try a 70-71 Dart/Demon they,re all the same.Remember to get new front eye bushings,they only come with rears installed.

I wouldn't get SS springs unless you drag race often. We have had MANY spring threads and most (but not all) are unhappy with SS springs on the street.

I would get XHD springs.

agree with formulas340!

SS are for extreme racing applications from everything i've read. XHD's came on factorty 340 cars and they are heavy duty hi-po leafs..

How long do you think 1 added spring will last while racing?Not to long with hard launches I bet,tires are expensive.This may work on a street car as a band-aid til you could afford new ones.My 2 cents.

How long do i think it will last??? well considering that there are many who run totally stock suspension, as in stock 6cl springs, torsion bars, shocks etc. and run much faster that i or you have ran for that matter, im pretty sure they are fine...why dont you go and tell all the guys who run like that that they have "band aids" and "tires are expensive"...your rationale makes no sense whatsoever...guys who believe that it has to be all pretty and new to work make me laugh, especially when they lose to the guy in the lane over with stock stuff

ill give you an example on just this site...tenseclegend's 9 second footbrake dart runs all stock 6cyl suspension...i can bet there are more on here like that, and theres many more on moparts...thats just a start...but whada they know, right?

The SS springs are designed for, and don't work well for cornering. They are too stiff, that is, they reduce cornering ability. As for shocks, I've heard good things about QA1 shocks. I have a set on my Charger, and what a difference. They are awesome. I've never heard anyone complain about them. I've heard many bad reports about the KYBs.

I am running the stock 6 cyl. Springs, I had the re-arched and added a spring. I told my local spring shop I wanted the car to sit about 4 inches higher than what it did sit at. I measured wheel well lip to ground on both sides. Here are before and after pics.

DSC00486.JPG

DSC00485.JPG

DSC00170.jpg

If you want better handling, you're better off with a de-arched spring. Drag springs, like the SS ones, lengthen in a turn, and change the steering characteristics. Good for what they're designed for: 1/4 mile runs.

ok thanks a lot for the opinions guys, it sounds like what i need are the XHD springs. My car will se some track time but not enough to make it worth while to compromise sreet manners, thanks again guys i think that's what i'll go with.

Now as far as shocks 375instroke is the first person that i've has said bad things about the KYB's. I was really drawn to them because of the price, and on a budget build like mine that would be handy. Anyone used the KYB's??? If so what do you think of them?? I've heard that people feel that they are a little stiff but i can deal with that.

Again thanks guys!!!

ok thanks a lot for the opinions guys, it sounds like what i need are the XHD springs. My car will se some track time but not enough to make it worth while to compromise sreet manners, thanks again guys i think that's what i'll go with.

Now as far as shocks 375instroke is the first person that i've has said bad things about the KYB's. I was really drawn to them because of the price, and on a budget build like mine that would be handy. Anyone used the KYB's??? If so what do you think of them?? I've heard that people feel that they are a little stiff but i can deal with that.

Again thanks guys!!!

I talked to 2 guys, FABO members, cant recall who they were, that used XHD's with the KYB shocks. they loved the way their car rode. 375instroke is the first person that i've seen say something bad about them. maybe he got a bad pair of them or something like that?

-
Back