what off the shelf engine oil ?

-
Most pa oils have paraffin in them which will leave deposits here and there, Im in for royal virgin.

Nothing "on the shelf" will have what it needs if it carries the SAE starburst medallion on the bottle. That includes the Fleet (deisel) oils. If I think it needs it I use Not For Street Use VR1, Joe Gibbs, or Brad Penn. If it's a milder cam (running a single spring with dampener or single springs) then a fleet oil like Rotella should be fine after the cam's broken in. Synthetics should be fine too. For those I personally use either Car Quest 20/50 or 15/40 depending on the build.

The only difference between the "not for street use" and the regular silver bottle VR1 is the detergent level the NFSU has very little. Both have the same levels of zinc and phos.

Nothing "on the shelf" will have what it needs if it carries the SAE starburst medallion on the bottle. That includes the Fleet (deisel) oils. If I think it needs it I use Not For Street Use VR1, Joe Gibbs, or Brad Penn. If it's a milder cam (running a single spring with dampener or single springs) then a fleet oil like Rotella should be fine after the cam's broken in. Synthetics should be fine too. For those I personally use either Car Quest 20/50 or 15/40 depending on the build.

Regular VR1 has the same zinc & phos as the NFSU, difference is regular VR1 has more detergent.

I like to use oil straight from the bottle...

It gets kinda dirty if I have to scrape it off a shelf....

Ain't off the shelf necessarily , but Brad Penn for me !! Can usually get it from your local High Performance Machinist.

Veteran engine builder recommended mixing penzoil 10\30 and 20/50 racing oil equally. Swears by it plus, will only use K'N oil filters after bench testing many different brands.

-
Back